Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Mary Beth

Default Panama Canal from Galveston?

I am gathering information about cruising to the Panama Canal from Galveston...
has anyone had experience doing that? it seems as if Royal Caribbean doesn't offer
such a cruise and it is the Celebrity Cruise Line's Galaxy that sails from Texas?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:39 PM
sparks

Default Re: Panama Canal from Galveston?

Mary,
We are going on this trip in March on the Galaxy. We have sailed her before & Celebrity many times. I have been doing a lot of research about tours also. Maybe I can help somewhat.
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Ginamarie

I just booked a trip from Houston through the Panama Canal on NCL Sea for July 22, 2005. It's a repo cruise, and only one of it's kind though.
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:34 PM
KathieDM

We are leaving two weeks from TODAY on the Galaxy out of Galveston. Can't wait! We have sailed Celebrity once before, the Summit in Alaska. We prefer the Voyager-class ships but they can't go everywhere due to their large size. We loved the Summit and, even though Galaxy is smaller, we are confident that our Celebrity experience will be wonderful again.
We are really happy that we were able to get a direct flight from Dayton to Houston (Continental), since we can't come in the day before. So no changing planes and less worry about lost or delayed luggage. We arrive in Houston at 8:30 AM and have booked the cruiseline shuttle to the ship. Official boarding begins at 11, but maybe we can use the public areas if we get there before then. Tues. I booked our excursions and submitted the on-line documentation, so we are all set.
Yesterday, I found another pretty outfit and a fancy top (to wear over an existing long, black tank dress) to add to the sparkly pants outfit I bought just after Christmas to complete my formal wear supply. I have lost weight recently and was FORCED,( lol) to get new clothes, formal and otherwise, But that has only added to my excitement and anticipation.
Today the 1-3 inch predicted snowfall has become 6-8 and it is still going strong. GRRRR! I am sooo ready for the warm Carib.
Now if our new grandbaby would only make his appearance, I would truly be ready. He is due any minute, actually overdue. Don't want to miss this one like we did the last one who was born 3 1/2 wks early while we were in Alaska. He was a week old before we saw him.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02
Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03
Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03
Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04
Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:14 PM
Mark and Becky

Default Re: Re: Panama Canal from Galveston?

Kathie,

We are really interested in hearing how your cruise went. We are schedule to go in April!!!! We've never sailed with Celebrity just Carnival to Mexico and Princess to Alaska which Alaska was amazing!!!

Currently I'm trying to decide what excursions to book. There are sooooo many to pick from and I have found some reviews but not alot. I can't wait to hear your comments about your Panama Canal cruise!!!!
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Joyce Glenn

Make sure you book a ship's excursion for the Panama Canal because unless you have done this the Panamanian government will NOT let you depart the ship. We were there on Holland's Rotterdam and we booked a railroad excursion and we are glad we did even though it was a bit of a rip-off because we saw alot more that way. The only drawback with sailing out of Galveston is your taxi fare or transfer fee to/from the airport is a little higher than out of Miami or Lauderdale.
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Bev Giangiacomo

We too will be sailing from Galveston on the Galaxy on Feb. 3. I would love information on what are the best on shore trips to take. We are scheduling a private limo service from Houston Hobby. It's not too expensive and we will get everywhere on time!
I would love to hear from those who have done this cruise.
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Only to clarify, after pass the gatun locks, if you do not schedule a shore excursion through the ship or local travel agency like myfriendmario.com/forum , you will not be able to get off the cruise ship at Gatun Yatch club and you will need to wait until you go back through the Gatun Locks to disembark in Cristobal pier, but here you have not enough time to take a shore excursion .
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Passenger

We were on the Grand Princess out of Galveston last December and went to Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Cristobal Pier, Panama. This was our seventh cruise and one of our best. The ship was too large to go through the canal so we took a tour that took us by bus across to Panama City where we took a small boat through two locks of the canal. It was a great experience. Some people complained about the 1 1/2 hr. bus trip but I enjoyed seeing the country and listening to the tour guide and she talked about the country and customs.

We also liked cruising out of Galveston. It's a very interesting island and city with some beautiful Victorial era homes.

Happy cruising.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:44 AM
First Mate

I'm interested in a cruise that leaves from Ft. Lauderdale and sails through the canal and goes up the west coast to San Francisco. Does anyone have any experience with this one?
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Mark and Becky

Kathie,

How was the cruise and the excursions? Could you please post the excursions you went on and what you thought? We're thinking Xcaret in Cozumel, the ruins in Costa Maya, and from there it's up in the air. I was interested in Stingray City and one of the river raft rides in Costa Rica. Let me know what ya'll did and what you thought!!!

Thanks,
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:18 PM
tropical

Hi!!!
I higly recommend you to do the white water rafting tour in Costa Rica, the kind of rapids are 3 to 4, such a wonderful time, the river was incredible and the beauty of the forest is amazing.

Couldn't be any better!!!!!