Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Passenger

Default Scooter rental in Cozumel

Where is best place to rent a reliable scooter in Cozumel? Want one for two of us for the whole day. Did anyone have any problems with a rental or any certain company?
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM
tkarfs

Default Re: Scooter rental in Cozumel

Just FYI, most boards and websites I have read recommend not to rent a scooter in Cozumel and instead go with a vehicle like a Jeep or VW bug due to the fact that their safer. The roads in Cozumel have potholes and other hazards such as construction, not to mention the cabbies and local driver's aren't known to be the safest or most observant.
The past 2 times I have been to Cozumel I have rented a Jeep with no problems, and though I am an experienced motorcycle rider, I wouldn't even consider renting a scooter there due to the above.
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:50 PM
First Mate

They told us before we got off our ship to not rent the scooters. The ones we saw on the roads were definitely in the way of the cab drivers who drive like crazy people. I really didn't seem safe to me. I would go with the jeep idea.
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Passenger

thanks, I will take the advice! So, what is the best place to rent a reliable car - I hear you can get the regular US companies (Alamo, Hertz, any others?) but for how much and where are they located? Just for two of us so we can go from beach to beach, look at the other side of the island, and the ruins. A small car would be fine.
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:31 PM
tkarfs

Default Re: Re: Scooter rental in Cozumel

there's several rental places right there off the pier, from reading this board Executive and Budget sounds pretty good..
For my trip next month, I am using http://www.islacozumel.net/services/lesspay/, I believe it's American owned and they say their just a few blocks from the pier and I read a trip reports somewhere that recommended them.
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Thanks - since we aren't going until May, could you post your experience (esp car rental) after your trip?
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Think I found it - I looked up Budget in Cozumel, downtown location, and the rate is $22.50 for a Chevy Corsica for one day - total about $24.50 (I'm not sure if that includes insurance, but very cheap). Anyone have experience renting from Budget in Cozumel?