Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Yeoman

Default Are the public beaches in Nassau easy to get to?

While in Nassau, we are hoping to take the kids to the beach.
Are they easy to get to? Do you have to pay?
Where should we go or stay away from?

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Good Evans

Default Re: Are the public beaches in Nassau easy to get to?

We took a mini van over to "Atlantis" and the man dropped us at a public entrance just up from "Atlantis" (same beach in fact). No charge to go on and the local boys were selling cold drinks etc at good prices, no rip offs. However, the sea was too rough, it was knocking adults over so our kids 8 and 6 could only sit on the sand and let the waves over their legs. Not the smooth caribbean we had expected ........quite disappointing really for the kids and us as we were hoping to relax in the sun. Wish we had headed for Cable beach instead, the opposite side. Maybe someone can advise if they have tried ? I know Holiday Inn offers day passes but I don't know the prices, or about the public entrances there.
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Passenger

We just got back and we took the local buses to Cable beach. It is about a 20 minute bus ride there and it was about 15 minutes on the way back. No charge to use the beach and the bus fare is $1.00 per person each way. You catch bus #10 right in the shopping area and the same bus route on the return. I believe the cabs were about 12 or 14 dollars one way and it is a set zone rate.
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

We found the public beach near the Atlantis too, and the surf was so bad that very few were actually in the water. In fact we made a game out of watching the "newbies" walk out into the surf and get rolled up on shore. (Shame on me for laughing but it was only after I was one of the "newbies" that we knew what the others would experience)
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

There's a very nice beach a Blue Lagoon Island. This is also where the dolphins and stingrays are. You don't have to do a tour. You can just go and hang out there for the day. Not sure how much it is take the ferry. It was included in the price of our excursion.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 26th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Terri Ann

Default Re: Re: Are the public beaches in Nassau easy to get to?

SweetPea,

I was there the week of January 2nd. We did the same as you and took the #10 jitney to Cable Beach. It lets you off in front of the hotel area and you can walk right through the hotel out to the public beach area. The water is smooth and the area is very clean now. ( in years past this was not the case. May be post hurricane, looks beautiful.) The water was a bit chilly for early January, so did not swim or wade much. The sun was very warm and great for sunning and relaxing. You can eat or get a drink (alcohol or sodas, etc.) at one of the outdoor cafes/bar. I noticed others from the ship there and they used the pool. Not certain if this is really permitted, but no one bothered them. I really believe the personnel do not care so much if it is not overly crowded and if you order a drink or something they are happy. The staff at the cafe were very pleasant and polite. There are water sports equipment for rent there on the beach like jet skis,etc. If you take the bus/jitney, you pay the driver when you get off. If you have never experienced driving on the left, be prepared, it can feel awkward at first. It is a cheaper way to get to Cable Beach and safe. They run constantly, no long wait. Hope this helps.

Terri
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:42 PM
First Mate

We went to see Atlantis and afterwards went to the public beach there. The ocean was to rough to go into. The beach and ocean views were beautiful but the waves made it too dangerous because of a storm that had passed through two days prior to our visit. My newphew and his wife went snorkeling and said that the ocean was much colder than in St. Thomas and also very choppy. It wasn't their best excursion. On yet another beach, my brother tried to rent a waverunner but the water was also too rough. I guess it depends on what time of the year you go. If it's January, I wouldn't plan on water activities. The air temperature was in the 80's though and it was a beautiful day. Check out the new straw market and don't be timid in bargaining!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:57 PM
CherieS

HI ty for the info,,, what about snorkeling at Cable Beach?
Old January 12th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Be prudent ....

Please be carful with this public beach by Atlantis resort. I was redirected to this beach by one of the security workers from Atlantis but she didn't warning me about how dangerous it can be. We took a cruise and all the tour were over priced (specially for Atlantis Resort).
We ended in this public beach were the water was so rough. By mistake my Mom and my 6 years old son were knocked down by a wave. They were drowning and there only tourists in this beach, no life guards at all. It took two guys and a girl to bring then back almost unconscious but alive. It has been my worst nightmare ever.
I have never posted any thing in public sites, but maybe I can help someone else to prevent a tragedy. I almost loss my Mom and my son in this beautiful Christmas trip.