Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dunn's River

Hi, My wife is a little hesitant about going to the falls because of all the posts about people getting cuts and bruises and because she is already afraid of heights. Two questions: First, are there constant opportunities as you go higher and higher to turn aside, is it easily doable? Second, is it really almost as good to see it. Can you get anything out of seeing it or are you much better off climbing it? Does anyone think the Martha Brae (if I got that right) is a better excursion?
Thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:57 PM
booboo4031

Default Re: Dunn's River

I've done both ... climbed in the water and walked the walkway along the edge of the falls. I actually preferred watching the others climb. I found it rather entertaining The climb was OK but the walk up from the bottom along the bottom is very scenic, it's nice and shady, and you can stop and take pictures and places to sit along the way if you have to wait for your group to catch up.

Old January 26th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Admiral

booboo is correct that your wife can exit in many places on the climb. While it is somewhat pretty the fun is actually climbing the falls. We didn't think it all that hard and my wife definately does not like heights and I have some physical problems with my knees and ankles but made it okay. As for Martha Brea, we have not done that but certainly it is on the list of things we want to do. Reports are that it is very pretty and romantic and laid back. The decision is yours but I see Martha Brea in your future. <G>
Jim

Old January 26th, 2005, 06:08 PM
luckyroot

Default Re: Re: Dunn's River

I have another question.....

If you just climb the walkway, do you still pay the $10 entrance fee?
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Passenger

Great to know. Think we will do it and she will do the walkway. Thanks
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:11 PM
booboo4031

Default Re: Re: Re: Dunn's River

No.. they don't charge you if you do the walkway

Old January 26th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Passenger

Booboo, I actually wasn't asking if they charge if you do the walkway. But, now that you told me that they don't, is that really true? You pay no admission to do the walkway, and, it is also quite nice?
Thanks
Ken
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM
booboo4031

Sorry.. I thought that's what was being asked... when I did the walkway .. they didn't charge me.. they told me only if i was climbing.

Old January 27th, 2005, 07:42 AM
luckyroot

Default Re: Re: Re: Dunn's River

I was the one who asked about the walkway only. Now I have ANOTHER question, if you can get OUT along the walkway, can you get IN as well? If we decide to pay the $10 and just climb in the areas that don't look too steep or deep? (I am afraid of falling, and my husband cannot swim).

Thanks so much for your help. The falls are the one thing I've been chewing over since we booked this cruise. I can't make up my mind about it, because of concerns, but I'm afraid if we DON'T do it, I'll be kicking myself when we get home!

Thanks
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:48 AM
booboo4031

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dunn's River

I personally have never seen anyone get off the falls except at the top... or get in except at the bottom. It's not very deep so I don't think being able to swim is an issue.

Old January 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM
First Mate

They do charge you to walk along the side of the falls. It is an admission to the park, not an admission to climb the falls. There is no way that they would be able to regulate who was climbing and who was walking up the falls.

Old January 27th, 2005, 12:21 PM
sea-u-later

just watch out for the "vendors" as you exit, they can be very pushy
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Like Tamie said, they have a gate and charge admission to get in. I can't see them allowing you n for free even if you say you are just watching. There are three or four places to get in or out of the falls. They are wooden steps along the left side as you are climbing where the walkway is.
I also warn you of the vendors and it is best to avoid that area and bypass it entirely when you leave. Do not even walk through it. The vendors there are very pushy and do not believe in taking no for an answer. We much prefer the Straw Market downtown where yes they try hard to sell you things but they also show you respect when you show it to them. The ones at the falls have no respect for anyone.
Jim

Old January 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Admiral

On our recent cruise we did the View Dunn's River Falls as part of a tour. We enjoyed watching, but were glad we didn't try climbing. The lower parts looked fairly easy but the last part would have scared me to death! There are several places where you can exit the falls to the walkway. We saw several people doing this before the last part. Also, while the vendors did ask us to come see their wares I didn't find them nearly as pushy as in Montego Bay. (Maybe I'm just getting used to it!) I bought several souvenirs after haggling. If you don't want to buy just say no thanks and keep walking, but you might see something you want. JMO, Jim!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Ken we have done both Dunns River Falls and the Martha Brea River. They are both wonderful, totally different experiences. Dunns River Falls is a blast, sure there are slippery parts, you are climbing rocks in water, but there is always someone in line to help you along. IF you do decide to climb the falls make sure you have shoes with grip. Water sandals (Teva type) are the best, but plain old canvas tennis sneakers also work great. The water is refreshing the scenery beautiful and just plain fun. Like the others have said if you try the climb and find it difficult there are exit points.
Martha Brae River rafting - totally relaxing adventure, you sit on a padded "bench" for one on these long bamboo poles that are lashed together to form a raft. You have a guide with a huge long pole who gently moves you down the river. Its very scenic, lush and beautiful, you get a true sense of the beauty of Jamaica, you might even see women doing their wash in the river and kids bathing.
Old January 30th, 2005, 06:16 PM
flyjoanne

I would also try a tour guide. I just got back from a cruise and used Trevor Hudlin as our tour guide. He was very reliable and reasonable. We went to Dunn's River and then went to tour Fern Gully. He taught us Jamaica songs and gave us fresh fruit to eat. The best tour guide I've ever had! He can be contacted at www.trevorhudlintours.com
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

I did the climb at the Dunn's River falls, although just to look at it seems boring to me let me tell you what happened to us. They make everyone hold hands and help each other up the falls, well my ex boyfriend got stuck helping some woman who had to weigh at least 260lbs, she was slow and in very bad physical condition and had no business climbing a 600 ft water fall, so she was struggling and not one of the Jamicans working at the falls would help her, my boyfriend let go of my hand so I fell and got a huge cut and bruise on my knee. I finally told my boyfriend that she was not his responsibility I was, her over weight, slow moving husband was no help what so ever, so we ditched them. I was very pissed off at the lazy good for nothing crew at the water fall who then wanted us to tip them when the excursion was over!!! So be warned who ever is behind you they expect you to help them they wont lift a finger! I would do the Martha Brae instead.
Old February 4th, 2005, 07:47 AM
sallylouise

Our party of 8 did a private tour with Peat Taylor to Dunn River Falls. Get there early, as it gets VERY crowded and is a mass of people. Be sure to wear water shoes as the rocks are very slippery. Out of the 8 of us, 5 climbed and 3 of us walked along the side on the steps. The fee you pay is an admission charge to the park....not a climbing fee. I guess the thrill of climbing the Falls is to say you have done it. No one in our group found it especially thrilling.
Old February 5th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

we were at the falls years ago, i wasnt too impressed, pretty to look at, but then im a snorkle addict. back then the locals were very pushy, and now i hear they actually grab hold of your arm sometimes trying to sell you stuff. i would think it would be worse now with the damage the hurrican did to jamacia. be ware and be careful, stay in a group. i personally would not go back to jamaica if they paid me, but thats my opinion only.
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Ilene

I read other postings about going with Peat Taylor. Did you book him directly? Also, did the tour include anything else? I thought I read somewhere that you could combine the falls with tubing. I will going there week of Feb 21 on Radiance of the Seas.