Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2005, 07:36 AM
hope2cruise

Default car rental in Calica

Hi all. Anyone know the name of the car rental agency(ies) located right at the pier in Calica, and whether or not you can reserve in advance (online) with them?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Obstructed view

Default Re: car rental in Calica

Executive is the name.

It's been a while, but at the time, the web site did not offer Calica deals. They do not park the cars overnight at the dock area. But they are not stored too far away. We were one of the first off the ship and the cars were coming to the dock at the time. In stead of an open air jeep, we waited for a compact air conditioned car. It had standard Xmission and was cheaper than the jeeps.

I suppose if there was heavy demand, they could call for additional cars from the Playa area
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Passenger

Just out of curiosity, what cruiseline/ship will you be on when stopped at Calica? I was on Celebrity's Mercury and docked at "the gravel pit" and since then, haven't heard of any ships still using that port.

Any who have docked there recently....have upgrades been made? Is there actually anything there now?

Sorry I couldn't help witht he rental car question, but you just peaked my curiosity.

Thanks

-froggy
Old January 30th, 2005, 10:17 PM
hope2cruise

froggy: it's the Carnival Sensation. Their 5-day Monday departure cruise uses Calica.
Old January 30th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: car rental in Calica

I forgot to mention that it was Jan 2000 when I docked at Calica. Wonder if it's changed much since then??

Enjoy your cruise!!
Old January 31st, 2005, 09:04 AM
reverendjeff

The gravel pit has not changed. Carnival uses this port weekly. The gravel pit is actually the largest cement producing compnay in the world. At night there are freight ships coming in and out of the port. There are rental car, vans, jeeps, right at the dock at a reasonable price.
Old January 31st, 2005, 05:05 PM
hope2cruise

Thanks all. It sounds like the inventory is plentiful, and it appears we're the only cruise ship docking at Calica that day, so I think I'll just rent when we get off the boat. (Now if only I can figure out what to do the next day in Cozumel. I prebooked a Jeep at the Puerta Maya pier, which I understand Carnival operates, but I've been watching the ship arrival info on cozumelinsider, and there appears to be no rhyme or reason to where the Sensation docks!)