Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:17 PM
tterryj50

Default Tortola beaches

Has anybody been to Cane Garden Bay recently? I've been reading disturbing reports on the water quality at this beach due to possible bacteria in the water. What other beaches on this island offer good swimming with chair/umberella rentals?
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:27 PM
hcat

Default Re: Tortola beaches

That's disappointing. When we were there a few yrs ago it was fantastic & no bad reports about swimming there--but there are many lovely beaches--try an internet search!
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
lscott

We were there two years ago and it was one of the best beaches I have ever been on. We are stopping there in May this year. What have you heard? Was there a reason for the bacteria?
Old February 4th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Cane Garden Bay is lined with restaurants and small hotels and villas. In addition, it is a very popular yachting anchorage. There is always lots of discussion about polution in the bay from run off and from holding tanks on the yachts. I read a message board frequently that addresses this issue from knowledgeable locals and frequent visitors perspective. Rather than my making any definitive statements, go to the message board run by ttol (travel talk on line ) at the official tourism site for the BVI's bviwelcome.com This site will do two things, first help you deal with this issue if you feel you must and second give you alternatives (and anything you ever wanted to know about the BVI's).
Personally, I would not hesitate to vacation at or swim in Cane Garden Bay.
Old February 5th, 2005, 08:41 PM
stoney

I wouldn't either. The cruise lines would let you know if something was wrong with the water.
Always a beautiful place to enjot the waters.
It's all good!!
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Arley

Don't be deterred by any negative comments you hear about this beach, we swam all day and had a wonderful time, its a great beach, make sure you go!