Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Default Ruins in Costa Maya vs. Cozumel

We are going on the Miracle in April. My sons (ages 5 & 10) want to go to the ruins. We are stopping in both Costa Maya and Cozumel. Which area has the best ruins?
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Ruins in Costa Maya vs. Cozumel

The ruins in Cozumel may be too long of a trip for your boys. The trip in Costa Maya is shorter. I haven't done either of these but plan to go to Chacchoben (Costa Maya) in April. It is a five hour trip. I think the ruins in Cozumel are about a 7-8 hour trip involving a long bus ride.
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Do the ruins tour in Costa Maya. Probably better from the point of view of younger kids.
Jim

Old February 7th, 2005, 12:59 AM
JenniferW

Ruins in Costa Maya are bigger and much mroe impressive IMHO. I'd go to the close ones instead of the further remote ones.

Jenn
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:10 AM
First Mate

Our ruins trip in Costa Maya was 8 hours long, so I'd check into a shorter trip with kids. I'm sure they are offered.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Lonnie

There are multiple ruin sites in Costa Maya. The biggest ones (Dzibanche & Kohunlich) are a two hour drive each way. Chacchoben is only a 45 minute drive but smaller ruins. A Gentleman named Ivan grew up at the Chacchoben ruins as a small boy, he offers independent tours to any of the mayan sites out of Costa Maya. He has a web site www.chacchobenruins.com. The Mayan ruin sites out of Cozumel are smaller than any at Costa Maya. It is about an hour drive to the ruins but also about 20-30 minute ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen.
I would recommend the Chocchoben ruins in Costa Maya then some beach time in Cozumel. Cozumel has a lot of beachs to meet different needs. Have Fun. Lonnie