Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Ken Cohen

Default Jamaica with Peat Taylor

Hi, I have read on numerous postings that Jamaica is sometimes unsafe and that I should only go with the ship excursions, some believe otherwise. However, Peat Taylor is raved about. Has anyone gone to both Martha Brae and Dunn's with him? Would that be a safe thing to do? Please share your experiences with him.
Thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Telecom Tim

Default Re: Jamaica with Peat Taylor

Yes, my wife and I sailed with Celebrity Cruises on the Century which visited Ocho Rios, Jamaica. And, yes we did opt for the Peat Taylor tour. He was absolutely fabulous as a tour guide. Peat is proud of his profession and his country. He went out of his way to show us around Ocho Rios and the country side in the area. The tour was safe. No problems at all. Downtown Ocho Rios was a little shaky with pan handlers, but, we survived and it was an experience.

Dunns River falls was great. Peat and his other cab buddies play dominoes while we are at the falls.

I would highly recommend Peat Taylor for your visit there. Good luck and have a great time. Tim
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Yeoman

We also used Pete Taylor. He has other guides he uses as well, but we were very pleased. Made many stops along the way to show us this and that and point out many things to us. I didn't like downtown at all. The same stuff and just very aggresive. Our guide waited for us, but we didn't venture off long at all. I just wanted to leave!
THey will customize your tour as you like. I thought the best shopping was the nice colorful shopping center out of the large fenced area with the guards. It was nice, clean and people didn't bug you to buy.

Have fun!
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM
dove

We just returned 2 weeks ago and did a tour with Peat Taylor. He and his son are wonderful. I would highly recommend them. On our tour we also stopped at a school with approx. 20 children. They were great kids who hugged and kissed us goodbye. I wish I had known we were stopping I would have brought treats along with us. We also stopped to do some shopping at the gated area. Cheap souvenirs but watch the Rum. I bought my rum cheaper at the duty free outside the ship then what my mother paid.
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Yeoman

We used Peat Taylor Tours from Montego Bay. We got a very personalized tour and the driver made sure we made it back on time. We paid only after the tour ended. I felt like we saw more of real Jamaica than the cookie cutter tour bus tours, and our driver made us feel very comfortable about asking questions. We would use Peat Taylor again.

Lesley

Conquest 9/03
Glory 9/04
Valor 4/05
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:47 PM
H. Kachmarik

Toured last year with Peat Taylor and had a great time.. Were one of the first groups to Dunn's River Falls and he was very amiable to take us to where we wanted to go after the usual sightseeing. I have been there twice and never found it to be unsafe as long as you are with a tour group. Enjoy.
Old February 21st, 2005, 01:20 PM
sandie

We set all the arrangements to book peat taylor long before we arrived for our group of 18 and he was waiting for us and gave us an incrediable tour of the dunns fall as well as the countryside....we didnt pay until it was over and it lasted nearly 4 hours. the cost when we went two years ago was 30 dollars per person and of coarse we tipped but that it is up to the individual it is not required.....you will love this excursion...safe, educational and a great deal of fun...i would recommend it to anyone....have a great time.