Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Passenger

Default stingray city have you seen them & Rough waters???

Hi I am going to stingray city in the caymans in a couple of weeks? Have people been seeing a nice amount of stingrays? Also, are the waters sometimes really rough coming over from the pier? My wife can handle a big ship but not really a small one when it gets rought?
Thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: stingray city have you seen them & Rough waters???

We got back in Dec. and there a very nice amount of them. If the waters are that rough, no on will be tendered in.
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Admiral

I was there last year and as long I fed them I had dozens of stingrays for best buddies.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Yeoman

I was out there before the hurricane but the seas were still rather rough. I didn't notice the waves when we were on the smaller boat! Maybe I was too busy having fun? When we were in the water with the stingrays the waves were about 5', but then again, I was having too much fun to pay attention.

You really notice the swells when you try to snorkel! Wow! I gave up on the snorkel tube and just held my breath. After choking on that salty water a couple of times . . . yuk!

Holiday May 2000
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM
SpTrout

We were there a couple weeks ago and had a great time. No problem finding stingrays; they were everywhere!

One point about your wife not handling small boats . . . . the boat ride out to stingray city is over four miles and that may be more of a possible problem than the tender ride from your ship to shore. The not a problem for us, but I could see it as a possible problem for some.
Old February 16th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Yeoman

We took the stingray tour using Captain Marvins and the group was small 16 of us, and we went early in the morning. We saw many many stingrays. We were able to stand on the sandbar and the water was calm. It was an awesome experience! The boat ride to and from the sandbar was on a boat that accomodated appx 20 and gear comfortably . My friend gets motion sickness easily and she did fine.

Lesley

Conquest 9/03
Glory 9/04
Valor 4/05
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM
First Mate

Just got back from there and the water was so choppy that the ship cancelled all their excursions. We went with Captain Marvins do we got to go. There were plenty of stingrays, but the choppy water made it hard to stand and swim. The boat ride was very choppy, so your wife may want to try some Bonine for motion sickness. I did and had no problems.
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:40 AM
CBCruiser

We were scheduled there in Jan., but due to rough waters, the harbor master would not let cruise ships tender in. We were on the Carnival Miracle and felt very little movement, if any. (Wonderful ship!) Needless to say we were extremely disappointed, but there was nothing Carnival could do. They gave everyone $25 credit on our accounts. We just joined all the other ships leaving the area.