Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
tterryj50

Default Cane Garden Bay, Tortola

Has anybody heard that the water at Cane Garden bay is unsafe due to the presence of bacteria in the water?
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:59 PM
lscott

Default Re: Cane Garden Bay, Tortola

I have been to Cane Garden Bay, and it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I read on another post the concern about bacteria comes from the boats moored there. They must dump waste overboard. I would still go there again in a minute. I would think boats dump overboard in a lot of places.. (not nice to do).
Go and enjoy!!!
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Arley

Just came back from Torola and loved that beach, wish we had spent more time because the swimming was so much fun and we found a great little bar right on the beach that served great "pain killers' (rum drink, yummy!)
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:37 PM
hcat

This is the second time this ques has been raised. When we were there a few yrs ago it was the loveliest , clearest water but you never know! Maybe someone can check this out. from a more official source. ...
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:19 PM
Admiral

This is the second time this question has been raised in the last few weeks. There are many discussions on this subject on BVI related chat sites. bvi welcome.com is an official tourism site and their chat attracts locals and repeat visitors. This topic is debated often there. I do not believe anyone has ever posted definative evidence of a problem. But, check out the information and make your own choice.
Personally I would not hesitate to swim at CGB unless I heard that the treatment plant
had been shut down or had an accidental discharge.
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Cane Garden Bay, Tortola

I have been to the BVI 6 times, all on bareboat charters. I have always gone swimming in Cane Garden Bay.

When we sail, we always make sure to dump when we are well out to sea and away from mooring areas. In fact, if our tanks are getting a bit too full when we are at a mooring, we will leave the mooring and head out to dump, then head back to the mooring.

I cannot speak for others, but most responsible sailors that I know would not dump in a closed harbor or mooring area.
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Alleged problems at CGB have as much to do with the proliferation of lodgings, restaurantsand shops on shore and the huge crowds that gather when cruise ships are in or when things like the BVI Music Festival happen as they do with the routine pump out of charter yacht bilges. Existing sewer facilities become overwhelmed and run off ends up in the Bay. Do keep in mind that much of this is allegation supported by apochraphal stories rather than science.
Read what you can on the subject and make your own choice .