Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:12 AM
Heather T

Default Renting a car in Grand Cayman

I was thinking about renting a car in Grand Cayman so we can to go 7 Mile, the turtle farm, and "Hell" without having to worry about how much time we want to spend there. Has anyone done this before? Is this a good/bad idea? Are the roads easy to navigate? I've rented cars in St. Maarten, St. Thomas and St. Croix before and had no problems.
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
jacie

Default Re: Renting a car in Grand Cayman

I wouldn't rent a car there. Some cars the steering wheel is on the left and some on the right. They said it depends if it is american made or European made. We asked that question last week. You also drive on the wrong side of the road. You can get vans or cabs to tranports you there. I think that would be a safer bet.
Jacie
Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Driving on Grand Cayman is on the opposite side of the road from our driving so it can be confusing if you are not used to it.

I have been to Grand Cayman several times over the years and was there last week.
I can tell you the devastion from the hurricane is unreal. It doesn't look anything like it used to. There is still much clean up and construction going on so this would add to your traffic congestion. If you rent a car, be very careful and patient.

I was at the turtle farm a few years ago and again last week. Part of it is gone and is nothing like it used to be. Hell is still there, and looks like---- well, looks like hell.

I really feel for the people there as their island was really damaged and it will take years to recover, especially the trees.It looked like every tree there was down.
You can still have an enjoyable stop there, just be understanding about all their problems.
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:56 AM
CJL

I agree with Ron. We went this year and I can't believe how much of a change the island is now. We rented a jeep so we could see the island on our own. The traffic was crazy and if you are not use to driving on the left side, at times it can be a challenge. If you still want to rent a vehicle, the island is limited on vehicles due to the hurrican. We booked in advance and paid $95 for a jeep. My advice, take a taxi or an excursion.
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Also, if you get confused and do something wrong it can result in a large ticket. As we were walking along the sidewalk an officer was handing out a $75 ticket to a tourist and telling him where to pay it.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last time my husband and I went (before the hurricane) we rented a moped scooter and was able to see turtle farm, beaches, and hell. We paid about $40.00 for three hours. It fit both of us and allowed us time to do our own exploring. It did take about 2 weeks to get the deposit off my credit card. We are cruising again in September with our kids so we will probably rent a car if we don't do the sting ray tour.