Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2005, 07:16 PM
First Mate

Default What to Do/Belize City?

Going on a cruise this May 05. Belize City, Belize is one of our destinations. For those of you who've been there....what did you do, how did you get there (thru ship or on your own?) and what was it like (good or bad choice)?

This is my first time and I'm planning! Please advise! :o)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: What to Do/Belize City?

Last year we did the cave tubing and it was great. I booked it through X-Stream. It was $65 plus $5 more a delicious chicken barbeque lunch. This year we're going to Goff's Caye for snorkeling. I booked it through the ship and it was $49/pp.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Passenger

There is not much right there in the city. I had always been told not to wander off by ourselves. The city itself is impoverished. There was a little shopping area at the dock with established stores as well as a open market. If you want more culture, get a cab driver to take you out of the city to the zoo.
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:05 AM
ute_fan

I read your other post about Roatan and you mention that you like sight-seeing and cultural activities. My suggestion for a 1st timer to Belize would be to go see the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha. Our 1st time on a cruise was in Jan. 2004, and we ended up taking a ship's excursion to Altun Ha and really enjoyed it.

Just a couple of notes on excursions, my opinions only. If it's your 1st time cruising, I'd stick to the ship's excursion, especially in Belize. The main reason is just to give you the added security of knowing the ship won't leave without you. Belize ended up being our favorite port, but I thought as a 1st time cruiser, it was worth the little bit of extra money to know I was on a tour sanctioned through the ship. 2nd reason -- Belize is a tender port, which just makes it a little harder to time your departure and re-boarding times for your ship. If you're a novice cruiser, take the easy way out. 3rd reason -- there has been a little civil unrest in Belize lately. For me, that just nudges me a little more to take a ship sponsored excursion.

Lots of people recommend the cave tubing. We haven't done it as my DH doesn't like water much. Our friends went and didn't particularly care for it, but there again, that is just opinion. He just found it rather boring and didn't feel it was worth the hike to the river.
Old March 5th, 2005, 05:04 PM
timr

do an set trip from the ship or x-treme or stay on the ship. i went fish and saw first hand what life there was about. big eye opener, walking back to pier i was offered taxis, dope, and ladies. yes ladies as many as i wanted, i just hurried back to get in side the pier gates. wow but was fun and enjoyed seeing the real belize
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:12 PM
First Mate

Thanks for all the info and advise everyone! I went to the bookstore and researched some of the current travel guides (Fodors, Frommers, etc) on Belize. Main point was that there are no decent beaches anywhere near Belize City and warned that women should not wear short shorts/revealing clothing in the city! Note a problem for me...but my 18 year old daughter will have to cover up. Travel guides do say that Caye Caulker and Tobacco Caye are beautiful beaches/islands to visit...but have no idea about distance/prices...etc.

Sounds like I better part with money and take a tour from the ship at this port!
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Caye Caulker is about a 45 min boat ride from Belize. You can take a water taxi there. Just make sure you keep track of time. When we were there last year local time was 2 hours behind ship time.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Jacklyn

I am wondering the same thing?
Old March 18th, 2005, 08:46 PM
First Mate

Darcy,

What was Caye Caulker like? Primitive? Lots of beach....umbrellas/chairs? How much for the water taxi ride (round trip) and also, how much to take a taxi to get to the water taxi or was the water taxi right off the pier? Would you do this again?

THANKS!
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Admiral

I like Caye Caulker. It is primitive, but the people there are very friendly. In fact, we liked it so much my husband and I are planning on going back there for a week to ten days. There really isn't a "public beach" there is beach all around but no beach chairs and umbrellas. A lot of swimming is done off of private docks. You can rent a room at one of the hotels, again primitive, for the day for as little as $30 and use their facilities. You know its primitive when they advertise hot and cold running water!! The water taxi is $17.50/pp round trip. The water taxi association is right at the marina. A good website to check out is gocayecaulker.com. They have a lot of very good information. Just be warned, the pictures make the island look more modern than it really is. My husband and I both enjoy going to places that are "untouched" for lack of a better word. Caye Caulker is definitely not a tourist attraction which is what we like.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05