Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Default St Thomas-excurson thru cruise or private?

Hi
We are a group of 10 and will be in St Thomas on the 29th. Some have been to the island before and others have not. Have heard good things about Godfreys tours but have not been able to get them to respond to reservation request. Anyone know any other private tours that will give us a little shopping, touring and beach time? While the cruiseline offers a touring -beach excursion, it is double the price and doesn't provide transportation back to ship. Any input would be helpful!
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: St Thomas-excurson thru cruise or private?

If you go out to the cab stand at the pier you can negotiate such a trip on your own with one of the drivers, and you can do the same at one of thecab stands (such as outside /behind the Post office) downtown.
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Captain

Do you pay the driver for the whole trip ahead of time....are you sure he will come back and get you if you stay at the beach for a few hours????
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:29 PM
JennCandi

I think you normally pay them at the end of the trip.
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:32 PM
First Mate

Godfrey took a few days to reply to us - I gather he is pretty busy. We reserved him for solely our group and was worth every penny.
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Marie&Rick

Default Re: Re: St Thomas-excurson thru cruise or private?

I agree with Mandy, we just got back from an eastern Caribbean cruise and booked Godfrey for St. Thomas. He was punctual, very informative and he takes you on a great tour in a very clean vehicle. He stops frequently for anyone wanting to take pictures and takes you to the beach of your choice if you want to do a beach. We highly recommend him even if it may take a few days before you get a reply to your e-mail.
Old March 12th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the info but its been over a week and no reply....we are almost two weeks away and am getting nervous as I have 9 others depending on me to set this up......did he take long to repspond to you?
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM
davidl

Going to Southern Caribbean on AOS May 1. I am interested in this Godfrey Tour. Is this for just a personal group, or do they take different couples together? How many hours is the tour and what do they basically cover? Also what is the cost per person or is it a group price? Any help appreciated. How do you contact them? Thanks.
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Amy Shupert

Default Re: Re: St Thomas-excurson thru cruise or private?

I'd try e-mailing Godfrey again. He didn't get my first e-mail but once I sent the second one I heard from him in a day. Maybe he didn't get your first reservation.
Old March 19th, 2005, 03:38 PM
AAZZU

Default Re: Re: Re: St Thomas-excurson thru cruise or private?

I read other msg boards where people mentioned Godfrey was away from the island for a death in the family which would explain a lack of a response - everyone is saying he is now back online and responding to emails.
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:20 PM
Passenger

My husband and I are heading out on the Destiny this Sunday. I had emailed Godfrey with a couple of questions and never heard back. I found quite a few others that used Sunny Liston. He responded within 12 hours of our initial email so we booked with him.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:11 AM
sharkboy

With 10 people you are in luck. Just find one of the cab drivers with a safari truck and tell him what you are interested in.

Here is what I would propose. $20 a person. Tell him you want to stop downtown for shopping for an hour or so. Then you would like to go to Mountaintop for some drinks, and panoramic pictures. Past Drakes Seat, and down to Magens Bay for 2 hours. Then back to downtown/the ship.

The driver will be happy and attentive because he will have made great $ for the day. A tip on top of the $20 is customary as well. I would suggest an extra 3-5 dollars a person. I think entry to Magens Bay is $5 a person. Its a national park and well worth it.
Old March 24th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Passenger

Sometimes their browsers in the caribbean are a little slow. It took him about 3-4 days to answer me. If it's been a week, write him again. He's very dependable. Maybe he didn't get it. He's the best and you'll not be sorry for his tour! We just went on his tour on March 10th while we were on the Explorer of the Seas.
Old March 24th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Most "cabs" in St Thomas are vans, or open jitneys,. Virtually all will fit 10 (or more). This is something you can easily arrange with any driver right a pier side.
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Passenger

We did the Godfrey tour on March 16th and he was wonderful. He picks you up (ship time) at 9, 10 or 11. Drops you off in town to do shopping (if you bring a beach bag you can leave it up front in his cab). Picks you up at noon to start the tour then offers to return you to your boat or drop you off at Megens Bay, Coki Point or Sapphire Beach for 2 hours. He picks you up around 3:30 - 4:00, gives you a bit more of a tour and collects the $20 for the tour at the end. I would highly recommend him to anyone
Old April 2nd, 2005, 07:44 PM
shellysh

Default Re: Re: Re: St Thomas-excurson thru cruise or private?

I am also interested in the Godfrey tour in St. Thomas. Can you give me his email so I can get in touch with him?
Thanks,
Shelly
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Passenger

we booked with godgrey for 13th apr, this message has provided more good than bad advise for the cruiser, this has to be the best thing since sliced bread and chocolate candy, oh? and my wife, can't forget her i booked the cruise and she has the task of being our entertainment director