Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Beginner

Default Ochos Rios Dunn River Falls

Can you wear Tevas shoes to climb the falls (they have open toes)?
fish
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ochos Rios Dunn River Falls

I belive they rented aqua socks there, or you can bring your own. Your feet are unwater and I think Tevas sandals would cause drag in the water. I also don't think they are allowed since I know I rented aqua socks.
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Ochos Rios Dunn River Falls

Showcat,

Leaving 03/26/05--Western Caribbean,,,,We will have 4 children ages 9,11,12,12. Can they climb the falls or would the stairs be better??? Also, what should we wear if just climbing the stairs??

Thanks,

Lisa M.
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Nancy Wilson

I wore Tevas during my climb and didn't have any trouble with drag. The big thing is to keep the straps very tight as they can loosen under the water and that can cause drag. Just be sure you tighten those straps very tight before getting into the water. You may have to keep tightening them.

Some sand and rocks got between my feet and the sandals and at one point I wondered if I should have worn the aqua socks. But my husband and daughter who wore aqua socks complained of the same problem and had even more sand and rocks than I did. Most people wear aqua socks (maybe because they can rent them and they sell them on the ships) but I saw several people with Tevas. Just be sure whatever you choose to wear is COMFORTABLE and will give you lots of stability.

As for the children climbing the falls it depends on how comfortable they are in fast moving water. Our daughter is 14 and had no problems. There are many places along the falls where you can get out and climb the stairs if you need to. We did see a young child (about 6 years old) having to be carried up the falls by a guide. The water is more intense than it looks in the pictures but if you follow the guides instructions and take short steps you and your children will have a blast!! This was my second time climbing the falls. The first was 15 years ago on our honeymoon. It was fun taking my daughter back to climb the falls for herself. I hope you have lots of fun climbing the falls!!
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Passenger

Nancy,

Thanks so much for the info, it's just what I needed. It sounds like a great place to see. It's really neat that you could take your daughter to the falls. My husband and I will been married 15yrs. in April, so we're celebrating with our cruise next week.

Thanks Again,

Lisa M.
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:13 AM
jacie

We just climbed the falls a few weeks ago. Had 2 Thirteen year olds (one with a cast) and 2 16 year olds (not all mine) They had no trouble climbing but it is really challanging. The guide will help you if you need help. They were great. It was a blast. We wore old sneaker and threw them away after the climb and some of us wore water shoes. They have lockers before the climb so you don't have to carry anything around with you.
Jacie
Old March 16th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Teva water sandals work great on the falls, they have grip and give you some tractions, just wear them on the snug side. Old canvas tennis sneakers also work great.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:23 PM
cusechick

You can, but beyond just the climbing there are a lot of small rocks and sand that get caught in your shoes if you don't have a full shoe on. I started out with sandals that wew open and ended up taking them off and switching because I kept getting rocks in them.
Old March 21st, 2005, 07:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Lisa M:

Enjoy the falls! I've climbed in 3 times during the past 22 years.

In 1983 we all went barefoot (that's a mistake -- that was back before aqua shoes were common).

In 2004 and 2005 I wore aqua shoes. I think I saw people with Teva-type sandals. The good advice from above is just keeping them tightly adjusted to counteract the rushing river water.

In 2004 my kids, ages 13 &15 climbed with me. The kids should have an easy time climbing. There is a break half-way up where the guide will allow people to slide down this "natural water slide" (it's only 3 feet deep there). My kids LOVED doing this -- they did it twice in 2004. I declined.

People viewing the falls from the steps don't have to worry about getting wet. You will see everything from bathing suits to shorts and T's.

The best part is when you get home and see photos of Dunn's River Falls on TV or in magazines the kids will say, "Wow! That was fun and it's so much bigger than the photos show."

Bon Voyage!

Old March 21st, 2005, 03:11 PM
Passenger

The climb is more challenging that you'd think but mostly because of PEOPLE. It was so crowded that there were literally hundreds of people in 5 or 6 lines snaking up the falls. If you can, go EARLY or late in the day. There were times when it was not safe because there were so many people. If you have bad knees or back, I would not recommend this. There are places where you really have to climb through rushing water. It's beautiful and fun but timing could make a big difference.