Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Default St. Thomas (honeymoon beach) and Isle de Margarita

Thanks in advance for any advice!

We are returning to St. Thomas and looking for something new to see. Has anyone been to Honeymoon Beach on Water Island? Any advice or comments?

Also, our cruise just substituted a port and we are now going to Isle de Margarita. Any suggestions on beaches with pretty sand/water and food/beverage? We tend to like a "busy" beach with lots to do and people watch

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: St. Thomas (honeymoon beach) and Isle de Margarita

Hi Mary

I was on Water Island quite a number of years back....stayed at Sugarbird hotel (plus Honeymoon Beach was the beach the Kon Tiki Party boat went to). It was a nice beach with decent walk in snorkeling. Just watch out for the "grassy" part in the middle - baby jelly fish like to hide in there.

Not sure if anything there has been maintained though.

I'll be at Isle de Margarita the end of April (Golden Princess). I'm taking the Fiesta Party Bus tour offered by Princess. I have heard that there is a nice little beach/bar/shopping area not far from the pier.

Hope this all helps

Old March 20th, 2005, 07:41 PM
First Mate

We were at Honeymoon Beach in January. Very beautiful. There is a man and his wife who operate a pizza and beer boat a few feet off the shore. You wade up and order. My husband couldn't resist and got a beer. He really got a kick out of it. Lots of shells and coral washing up on the beach so we came back with some unique pieces. The water was clear and warm. It was very relaxing.
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:25 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much for the info. I forgot to ask...are there chairs availalbe on Honeymoon beach?
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:38 PM
First Mate

Not really. I remember an old yucky picnic table but that's about it. We brought our towels to lay down on but had so much fun swimming, snorkeling and shell finding that we never used the towels. I'd have to review my video to make sure but I wouldn't count on chairs.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 02:56 PM
First Mate

We arrived on a boat. Are there other ways? I found this on the Internet. Don't know how accurate it is so check before you commit.

Honeymoon Beach is just what you would expect from the sound of its name. It is a secluded strip of white sand with overhanging palm trees and calm, crystal blue water. The seclusion of the beach is the reward you get for hiking a one-mile trail through the national forest of St John. If you start in St. Thomas, take the ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay. The cost is $3 per person one-way. Once at Cruz Bay, go to the National Park Service Cruz Bay Visitor's Center (open 8am to 4:30pm). There, you can get a cool drink of water and pick up a forest trail map. The Lind Point trailhead is located just outside the visitor's center. The hike is not difficult, and the payoff is great. It is very quiet and peaceful.

Post Edited (03-23-05 02:33)
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: St. Thomas (honeymoon beach) and Isle de Margarita

The OP asked about Honeymoon Beach on Water Island...the one you posted about is a different Honeymoon Beach. Just so no one gets confused.

You can reach Honeymoon Beach (Water Island) by taking the ferry over from the old "sub base" (you can get a cab to there from town). At least you could the many years ago when I stayed on Water Island - not sure if the Ferry still runs or not.
Old March 24th, 2005, 01:19 AM
First Mate

Sorry, I would have never thought that there were 2 Honeymoon Beaches in St. Thomas.
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Dan P

We did Isle of Margarita in January.The nearest beach [which is suppose to be the best one]was a forty minute cab ride from the ship.We didnt like the beach at all.The cab we took stayed and waited for us ,we were told not to pay the driver until we returned to the ship.We got the cab off of the ship.I do not know if there are other beaches.The name of the beach was playa el aqua.
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: St. Thomas (honeymoon beach) and Isle de Margarita

There aren't 2 Honeymoon Beaches on St Thomas. One is on Water Island (St Thomas) and the other one posted about is on St John.