Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Captain

Default Peat Taylor ??? Cap. Marvin???

In June we will be sailing to Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman, as well as Grand Bahama Island. Last time we cruised we booked shore excursions with Royal Carribean, but have heard its cheaper with private shore excursions. we have noticed many reccommendations for Capt. Marvin in Grand Cayman & Peat Taylor in Ocho Rios. Any other recommendations? We would be happy to hear of any anyone else who is good and whos prices are reasonable. Also, is it wise to book the early am trip (ie. in Grand Cayman the exc. leaves at 8:30 am and we dock at 8:00 am)? Any info on Bahamas?
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Peat Taylor ??? Cap. Marvin???

Hi luv2cruise-----We have done both Capt. Marvin and Peat Taylor tours(July 2003) and we booked them again for our June 11th cruise on the Navagtior this year.(we can't wait, taking our twin boys this time with us , they have never been on a cruise ) Both tours were really good. Capt. Marvin is just a short walk from there you are docked, we did the 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 tour, my husband and I had a BLAST!!!! Can't wait for my kids to see those stingrays, they are awsome!!! You can booked them on line or call them, they will need a credit card to reserve your booking but you can pay cash when you get there if you want, they will not put the charge through until you get there. Really Cool!!!

Peat Taylor will pick you up at the dock with a air condition van and take you were ever you want.. Most people want to see the falls, his price includes the fall addmission, and you do not pay until AFTER your tour. He will take you on all the back roads if you want to see the county side of Jamaica and tell you about his country. Your tour is what ever you want to do. We foudn it really interesting and he was great.
Let me know if you have any more questions, KMBB
Old March 27th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Yeoman

Used both as well. Sorry I can't recommend others. But if many people are happy with those two, I'd give them a try.
Ditto everything KMBB said about them. Very happy with service with both.

For us, we had to book the 10:00 am tour with Cap't Marvins. The only other one was like 1:00 and that would have put us back to the ship too late. But I've read there were reasons to get there as early as possible. I'm guessing because of all the people. It gets packed out there! But each boat is divided into their own groups and there's plenty of stingrays to go around. So cool to have them eat out of your hand.
Very easy to find him too. Really a deal for your money! If we go back, we'll do the same thing with him.

Have fun!
Old March 27th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Captain

Can we bargain with Peat Taylor of Jamaica? He wants 25$ for adults and 17$ for both kids for Dunn's River Falls only or 35$ & 27$ with other itineraries included.
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:10 PM
StaceySch

I am not sure about bargaining with Peat but he is wonderful . He took us all over. WE wanted to go to a restaurant that my husband's Jamaican coworker recommended . He took us there and picked us up when we were done. He takes you to the Falls and other interesting places. He is great and he sings too. My kids thought he was wonderful too-very friendly and knowledgable.
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Passenger

I would not try to bargin with Peat, to me his tour was fairly priced. And he is a really nice guy, that's just my opinion. KMBB
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Captain

Thanks for the recommendations. We will be booking Peat Taylor and Capt. Marvin as well. Does anyone know about the time difference in Grand Cayman. We will be docking at 8 am ship time, and Capt. Marvin's tour starts at 8-8:30 am, Grand Cayman time. We are trying to figure out if we can make it. We are travelling in early June.
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Passenger

I don't believe you will have enough time to get to Capt. Marvins, it's only short walk, but if you don;'t get off the boat quickly, you will miss your tour. We are going on June 11 cruise(navagitor) and will be taking the tour from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 o'clock. You might might to re-think your time. Just a throught, KMBB
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Captain

KMBB, did you factor in the time difference? We were in Grand Cayman in September and they were an hour behind or forward - can't remember. If they are an hour behind it might work, otherwise I think we'll follow your tip and book the 10:00.
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Passenger

Be very cautious with Peat Taylor. He is good BUT - We booked with him VIA email and wanted a tour other than the falls. He assured us that was OK and set the price, all fees included. Upon arrival, he pawned us off on a co-driver named Keith where his tour did not include fees to get into places (although Peat's price did) and we had to fight it out all the way through the tour. Peat was not around at the end of the tour so we could not talk directly to him. A number of heated emails between Peat and I after the cruise failed to settle things.

Peat is good but make sure you stay with him on his bus. If he has overbooked, as he had with us, look out.

Capt Marvin is outstanding. We booked with them VIA email and they held their bus for us to get there. Email Ruth and talk over your plans. She will take great care of you.

Bibb

"Keep your face into the sun and you can't see the shadows" - Helen Keller.
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Passenger

luv2cruise--- I don't remember a time change in GC, we went in the middle of July , 2 years ago and I can't recall. We are doing the same cruise this year and the same plan we did last time.

Bibb---First time I've ever heard anything bad about Peat Taylor, now when we went we had him as our driver and he is suppose to be our driver again this time. I will e-amail him before we go to make sure we have him or one of his sons. That's a bummer that you had a bad experence. Agree that Ruth is a good person to deal with at Capt. Marvin, that's who I talked to when I booked this time. Happy Cruiseing Everyone!!!
KMBB
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Passenger

KMBB,

As I said, Peat, himself, is supposed to be very good. When I posted what happened to us on another board, two others said it happened to them also. I recommend that you book with Peat but just beware of being put with someone else. If you should be placed with another driver, get the fees and prices settled before Peat lets you go.

I don't try to stear people away from Peat; just want them to avoid what happened to us.

Bibb

"Keep your face into the sun and you can't see the shadows" - Helen Keller.
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Yeoman

I arranged my tour with Pete. I changed things so I did have to contact him many times via email. He was very prompt in getting back to me. I also copied my emails so IF there was a problem, there would be proof of what he quoted me. I didn't have any problems what so ever. I'd use him again.

With Cap't Marvins, just make sure to get off the ships asap. Once you get off the tender, make a left and walk down about 3-4 blocks. He's on the left hand side and you can't miss it.
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:05 PM
lucky judy

Capt marvin's tour is wonderful--much better than the ship's tour. I have done both in the past month. there is a problem with time, though. And now we're heading into daylight saving. carnival does not adjust their time--stays on ship's time throughout. Princess, on the other hand, does move the clock backwards and forwards. the main problem is getting off the ship. since this is a tendered port, most ships give priority to the passengers who have booked tours with them and relegates private entrepreneurs to later tenders. Just depends what system your ship uses whether you can sneak off or not. the video from capt marvin's was awesome . we did the stingrays first and followed up with the island tour. There were only 6 of us in the van so we had a wonderful tour. Have fun!
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:45 PM
Captain

Good to know about the situation with Peat Taylor, we'll keep this in mind. Is there anyone else who is more reliable or is Peat still the best option?
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:42 AM
patticake

there are 11 of us and we are going on the half day tour with captain marvin. i believe it starts at 10am and ends at 1pm. he came very highly recommended and i found dealing with them on line and on the phone they were veryeasy to deal with. yes you do have to give a credit card to hold your reser. and it is not charged until the trip. they would rather be paid in cash but you can use the card to pay on day of excursion.

i have read loads of reviews saying captain marvin spends lots of time explaining and helping in the water. we have five kids in our groupso that was important to us. our excursion also includes two snorkeling stops at coral gardens and barrier reef. this is something we are really looking forward to on the cruise. have a great time and enjoy this.
Old April 14th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Admiral

We used Peat Taylor in Ocho Rios in Feb and he was GREAT. He took us wherever we wanted to go and even took us back to the ship for lunch and then if we wanted we could go back out after lunch for shopping and horseback riding.

We went to Dunns Falls in the morning and it was not packed at all...he took us early for that reason. When we were done and left the parking lot was full!

I have pics online at www.daveandhelen.net/VOS.htm

Post Edited (04-14-05 17:14)
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:58 AM
Beginner

We did Capt. Marvin's a couple of years ago for Stingray Island and snorkeling. It was great. I think we left around 9am. When we tendered, we just walked the couple blocks down to their office. They take you in a nice air conditioned van to the dock. The group was really small (about 15 people) compared to the groups that were book thru the cruise line.

We got back in plenty of time to do some shopping and took a cab down to hell (we had to be back on the boat around 3ish). Another plus was that we didn't have to stop off at some tourist trap shopping place on the way to or from the excursion with Capt. Marvin's (tours thru the cruise line tend to do that - it was a plus for us b/c we are not the biggest of shoppers).

Hope you have a great time!
Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Admiral

This is the reason we at Cruisemates do not "recommend" any private tour. There is no GTY or recourse if they do not provide what they say they give you. Many of them are good legitimate businessmen who do provide nice tours and many people are very satisfied with them. The problem is, what if they don't? This is why even though sometimes a private tour can be better than a ships tour or cheaper, the only tour we can honestly recommend as legit are the ships tours because we know that if you have a problem you have recourse through the ship and we know that the operators the ships use have to meet certain requirements as to safety, insurance, ability to perform what they advertise, etc. etc.
Jim

Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:33 PM
Beginner

I am booked with Peat in June. I have e-mailed him, and he has assured me that he will be our tour guide. I am confident that we will have a great time with Peat.
Old April 24th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Captain

We just emailed both Capt. Marvin and Peat Taylor to reserve. For Capt. Marvin we are going to do the 10:30 tour, apparently, they are 1 hour behind (Royal Car. Ship Time)in June as they do not partake in Daylight Savings time. We are looking forward to the excursions and can't wait to go. Only 39 days left!
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM
wanda

Hi, We did one with Peat Taylor and he was EXCELLENT! I would recommend him for sure! ****Contact info deleted as advertising*** was Peat's when I booked him. We didn't pay anything upfront, we paid when we were done the tour.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
JFM

Peat Taylor was very good took us around the entire day with choices to tour, shop, swim ( we went to Margaritaville and swam), dunns falls (was fun).....and never took or requested anything (fees) until he dropped us off at the ship...