Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Beginner

Default Chichen Itza?

My husband & I are cruising for the first time in May to Playa de Carmen/Cozumel. One of the main things I want to do is take the tour to Chichen Itza from Playa de Carmen. However, one of my husband's co-workers told him today that the ruins are no longer open - all the tour involves is a very long bus ride around the ruins and you're not allowed to get out. I have found nothing on line to support this claim. Has anyone been to these ruins lately? Can you still climb the main pyramid? I'd like to find out before we book this excursion! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:28 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Chichen Itza?

Never mind...found my own answers. For anyone who may be interested, I'll pass along my findings. I'd had a sneaking suspicion that my husband's co-workers were talking about a different set of ruins. They were. Apparently, they had booked the Tulum/Xel-ha excursion through their cruise. It seems the Tulum ruins are not very accessable, and most of the time is spent at Xel-ha. As for Chichen Itza, while there actually has been a nasty rumor going around that they are going to bar people from climbing the pyramid simetime in the future, it's just that - a rumor. Chichen Itza is still as accessable as it has been. We look forward to visiting it!
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:50 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Chichen Itza?

Well actually both your posts are wrong.
Your SECOND post re: Chichen Itza is correct. The ruins are highly accessible and (at this time) you can climb the pyramid. There are a number of buidings there that you are NOT allowed to climb on but this does not interfere with enjoying the site.
Re: Tulum: This site is one of the MOST accessible sites because it is small and easy to get around BUT you cannot climb on El Castillo and a number of other buildings.
Being able to climb pyramids is not necessary to enjoying a site. You might want to refrain from sweeping statements until you have actually been there. Sorry if I sound harsh but I have been to Chichen Itza and I have been to Tulum twice. I have also been to Coba and Uxmal. I just don't like to see misinformation.
Old March 31st, 2005, 11:11 AM
Love Cruisin

Default Re: Re: Re: Chichen Itza?

Why would you need to even remotely sound harsh. That's what this board is ALL about. In fact these were not sweeping remarks of misinformation, just simple questions for the nice people to give nice answers. Shame on you!
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Yeah, thanks for being such a jerk. I guess this is why I don't "speak up" more on online forums. So much for "there are no stupid questions". Glad to be made to feel so welcome.
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:13 PM
Beginner

Also, I don't believe I made any "sweeping statements". I was merely quoting what was said to my husband by his co-worker in the first post. In the second post, my apparently incorrect statements regarding Tulum were based upon what I had read on another site. My intent was not to spread "misinformation" about Tulum, but merely to attempt to clarify what had been said.

I DO realize that the enjoyment of an historic site is not dependant upon climbing all over it. I see I have misrepresented myself. After reading other posts on this site, I did not realize I was required to be so precise in my explanations. I simply wanted to do more than ride a bus to a site, where I am only allowed to look out the window at it, instead of being able to soak up the aura of the place, as I intend to do when I DO visit Chichen Itza.

I must admit was rather surprised at the reception my first post on this board recieved. I have been reading posts on here for about a week now, and other than some disagreements over what constitutes men's formal wear, this seemed to be a very friendly place. I guess there always had to be one creep in every crowd. Don't know WHY they always have to pick me to crap on though. And hey, you may not even be a creep. If you're not, then maybe you'll think before you post next time & and try to actually be helpful.
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:01 AM
First Mate

"Never mind...found my own answers. For anyone who may be interested, I'll pass along my findings. I'd had a sneaking suspicion that my husband's co-workers were talking about a different set of ruins. They were. Apparently, they had booked the Tulum/Xel-ha excursion through their cruise. It seems the Tulum ruins are not very accessable"

Seems sweeping to me - since you say you have 'found' the answers and are "passing them on" - I was particularly upset about the Tulum reference which is simply untrue. Frankly I just don't like it when people 'pass on' misinformation. Sorry but it is a fault of mine that I will freely admit to. But yes I was too harsh and I do apologize for that. However I am hardly a "creep:" - MUCH harsher than what I said I might add and I did give you useful and accurate info.
I never accused you if asking "stupid questions". I pointed out that you had made inaccurate misleading statements - interesting that that makes me a '"jerk". I guess I should have said nothing and allowed your inaccuracies to stand and misinform others.
No one expects you to be precise or always accurate BUT it would have been far more useful to say that you had "heard" that Tulum was not accessible and then ask if anyone knew if that was true. Everyone occasionally gives info that is not 100% accurate. I have - about a beach name in St Martin - but then I promptly apologized and admitted that I had gotten confused.

Post Edited (04-01-05 11:04)
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:11 AM
maryjorunyon

I was at Tulum in Feb of 2004. It does require a bit of exersion to get there.
I was on a NCL cruise and they made a couple of unplanned stops to jewelry stores!
I was upset about that.
Also they suggest you wear a hat, I wish I had followed the suggestion. The sun is very hot.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
First Mate

maryjorunyon: I can understand your being upset about unplanned stops at jewlery stores - personally I would hate that (although I guess some people would like it). When we went to Tulum we went on our own (both times) That way we could control things ourselves. You are absolutely correct about needing a hat - it is open and the sun does beat down on uncovered heads. In comparison to other Mayan ruins (which are MUCH more extensive) I did not find Tulum to require much exertion but I guess that is all a matter of personal perspective. Another thing I would recommend to people going to any ruin is: Bring water !
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:31 AM
BoosterMom

We went to Tulum and Xel-Ha years ago and it was one of our favorite stops. Even though our kids thought it was too historical, they look back now and enjoy the memories. Xel-Ha was so beautiful. We made some unplanned stops too, but the guides were great and that made up for it. I remember, however, that they had some nice imported beer on the tour bus and two jerks boarded and loaded up with several bottles and then stayed on the bus during one of the unplanned stops and drank more. I agree with the water because you may have some jerks on your tour too. Also I remember the CD on our boat talking about Chichen Itza and kept calling it Chicken Pizza so that people would remember it. Brings a smile to me even years later to think about Chicken Pizza!

Just thought about something. The Travel Channel does those shows where they rate travel sites. Tulum and the ruins were rated one of the most beautiful beaches at a historical site. I remember the beautiful beach site looking down from the ruins, but evidently now there is a beach there you can go to.
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:45 PM
First Mate

The beach is exceptionally pretty at Tulum but sometimes the water is very rough. There are actually two little beaches at the ruins. One that is quite obvious (between two of the ruins) and another that is kind of hidden under the cliffs (sort of hard to describe but you have to walk to the far right (facing the ocean of the ruins to actually look back and see it).