Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:02 PM
anniversarycruisin'

Default horseback riding in Calica

Please...has anyone done this excursion? I am looking for some first-hand imput as to what this excursion is like!
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:06 AM
anniversarycruisin'

Default Re: horseback riding in Calica

Also need to know if they are sticklers about the 240 pound weight limit? A friend going with us is worried about having to step on the scales and be embarressed in front of everyone else or being turned away.
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:49 AM
anniversarycruisin'

Please? Surely someone out there on these boards has done this particular excursion.....please share some info......we are thirty days and counting!
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

I did this one a couple of years ago! It was EXCELLENT! The guides were fun even if they didn't speak much English. The horses were lively and clean. They also allowed us to canter (run) several times. I've never been on a group riding tour where they allowed this. We had a large group, too. It was both of my sons' first time riding and they had a blast.

As for the weight limit... I'd be careful. These are NOT large horses. They are small... think Mustang. If your friend really doesn't meet the weight requirement, he shouldn't go.

Also, if you go... bring clothes for this excursion. The dirt on the trail is RED and it stains clothes. If it's raining or the trail is wet, you will get COVERED in this stuff. I had my khaki pants sent out to be cleaned as soon as we returned (with a notice about the stains) and they couldn't get all of it out. Jeans are too hot... maybe a pair of old cotton pants you don't care about would be best. You'll want to wear full shoes/sneakers, too. I saw some people in Teva type sandals and they didn't look safe to me. On that note, do not wear shorts. People on our trip got very uncomfortable because they got sweaty... and their skin stuck to the saddle... let's just say, don't wear shorts! Women should also wear good support "up top". Some of the younger girls were a bit embarrassed... because they wore shorts, sandals and camisoles. Yes, they looked cute before the ride... but not during and certainly NOT after.

The only other things I can tell you about the trip is that they will take pictures of you on the horses before you leave. I bought one, I think it was $10. Our excursion description said it included soft drinks/water. But after we returned (very thirsty!) they told us we had to buy the drinks. A minor issue, but something you should know. Bring cash. I also tipped the guides.

Stacy