Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Passenger

Default Pinel Island

Anyone have any thoughts on this beach ? Looking for beach that is not too crowded
and also scenic .. Can you take a taxi and catch a different taxi back, or would you need to make arrangements...

Also, is it possible to rent a taxi for the day, drive to multiple beaches, scenic places for pictures ?? How much is it approx if this is done?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:21 PM
hwireman

Default Re: Pinel Island

Pinel Island is reached by ferry from Orient. Supposed to be gorgeous on Ilet Pinel which is one of the best beaches on Pinel Island according to most sites. Going there in May.
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Renee'

HI!

I am going to be on St. Maarten on April 21, 2005, and I would like to make my way over to the French side. The last time I took a cruise I stayed on the Dutch side . My questions...

1.) What is the best way to get over to Orient (Beach?) so I can catch the ferry to lIlet Pinel? Taxi? How much will it cost me? I am a solo traveler....so I won't be sharing the cost with anyone. Cost of the ferry? Time schedules for ferry?
2.) Can I rent snorkel equip. there on Pinel?
3) I m trying to think of interesting/fun things to do while on the Island.
Any help is so much appreciated!
Thanks a lot!
Renee'
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:49 PM
hwireman

Renee

I think, from your questions, that you would be best doing the pinel island snorkel tour. Everything you are asking about would be included for you. Then, if you are wanting to hang around the french side longer you can ride the ferry with the tour back to Orient and then catch a taxi to what you want to do from there. This is just my opinion though but it is definitely the way I would go if I was you.

Heather
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:50 PM
hwireman

Renee

I think, from your questions, that you would be best doing the pinel island snorkel tour. Everything you are asking about would be included for you. Then, if you are wanting to hang around the french side longer you can ride the ferry with the tour back to Orient and then catch a taxi to what you want to do from there. This is just my opinion though but it is definitely the way I would go if I was you.

Heather
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Renee'

Hi Heather!
Thanks so much for writing back. My cruise line is not offering a Pinel Island Tour, so I was hoping to try to create that experience for myself. That is why I was asking so many questions. Do you (or does anyone else out there) know of a tour company I can contact... to see if they have room for me on a tour like this? And...is Pinel Island really the best place for me to go snorkeling on St. Marrten/St. Martin? Thanks again for all of your help!
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:48 AM
hwireman

I don't know that it is the BEST place to snorkel as everyone has their own ideas on this. If you look up the site Shore Tours you will find some snorkel tours for Maarten. There are some other sites too just do a search, look and then make up your mind. No matter what I am quite sure you will have a glorious day. You shouldn't snorkel by yourself so I really suggest finding a tour.

Good luck
Heather
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Renae

Default Re: Re: Pinel Island

Renee,

I went to St. Martin in Oct 03 and it was my favorite stop on our cruise. We snorkeled at Pinel Island. The island was very secluded and private. The water was good for snorkeling but not the best I've ever seen. The equipment is available right on the island. There isn't really anything else but a small building (shed) and rental equipment there. We took a water ferry from the other side which was pretty fast. I will check to see if I have any tour information available that may allow you to book on your own.

Renae
Old April 8th, 2005, 03:54 PM
rez4jc

My husband and I were in St. Marteen in January and went to Pinel Island. We caught a taxi from the cruise ship pier to the "water taxi" that took us over to the island for $3 each. We walked over to the other side and checked everything out. We ended up grabbing a couple of chairs and an umbrella and just relaxing for the day. No vendors, no worries, no problems. There was even waiters getting us cold drinks and food. I didn't see anyone snorkeling, and the beach area just had a sandy bottom, not good for snorkeling. We caught the water taxi back to the parking lot where we had arranged for our taxi driver to meet us and return us to the ship. I think the whole day cost us $50, including drinks and lunch.
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:26 PM
hwireman

OK Gang

All this Pinel talk is getting me very antsy for my cruise. We all leave May 8th on the Valor and have been booked for this baby over a year. I want to leave now.

But since we have so many informative people on here ... here's a question. Do you think it is doable to jet ski from Orient over to Ilet Pinel??? Did anyone eat at the lobster place on Pinel where they pull it right out of the water and cook it while you wait??? Delicious???

Look forward to hearing from ya all,
Heather