Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2005, 06:47 PM
First Mate

Default Chankanaub Water Question

I'm in Cozumel in about 5 weeks. I've seen all the posts about Chankanaub (spelled wrong I'm sure) having great snorkeling and a small enclosed beach (for children). Here is my question: If the beach is small and mostly for kids, I won't want to swim there, but is the rest of the swimming/snorkeling area only deep water? Is there any shallow water with a sandy bottom in the rest of the swimming/snorkeling water or is it primarily rocky bottom and deep water?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Rsham

Default Re: Chankanaub Water Question

Primarily rocky bottom with deep water
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

If I remember correctly,,,,,,, the water is waist/chest deep at the 'beach' Was a very nice beach, uncrowded
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:45 AM
patticake

from what we are told, the beach is very protected sandy, shallow a nd great for kids. the area where you snorkel has a rock wall with rock steps leading into the water with a handrail and is slippery so you will need water shoes. it drops off from maybe 4 to 6 feet to 30 to 40 feet deep very quickly. will be interested to see all of this when we go in july with family of 11 on the victory. hope this helps
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:45 PM
First Mate

Thanks everyone. My 19 yr old doesn't snorkle and I'm not very good at it...always feel better if there is a shallow area so I can stand up and adjust my mask if needed (tend to get water in it at some point). Sounds like we better find another place on Cozumel, just to swim and relax. Maybe San Fransico, Paradise or one of the other recommended beaches and forget the snorkeling. Appreciate the feedback!
Old April 21st, 2005, 04:56 AM
Passenger

Returned from cruise April 2. If your looking for a typical ocean/beach setting, Chank. isn't the place for you. We had 4 children with us ages 9,10,12,12 that were very disappointed when wer first got there as they love to play in the waves. No waves there, just water in a cove and the "beach" area is small, but a nice place for smaller children that may not be able to snorkel. There were very few people in this area. EVERYONE, was snorkeling!!! Which is the reason I chose to go there. I wanted them to experience snorkeling and once they started. I couldn't get them to stop....I'm talking hours!!! They had a blast!!!!!! We did 7 mile beach the day before in the Caymans which was very nice beach......Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!