Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Advice on the Best Western Marina Inn in Fort Lauderdale

We will be staying one night before we sail at the Best Western that supposedly right on Port Everglades. I would appreciate any feedback for anyone who has stayed there? I see that there are water taxis to get to places for dinner, are they easy to use?
And can you really see the port from the hotel?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Jerry Dobbin

Default Re: Advice on the Best Western Marina Inn in Fort Lauderdale

We stayed there 12/03. While there are many nicer hotels in FLL, It is right at the port, which is cool. it is also at the base of the 17th street draw bridge, which was also cool. It's walking distance to the water bus, which is always a high light of our trips to FLL. And yes they are super easy to use. The best thing about the Best western is the price. The shuttle was not the best. (we took the taxi to the cruise ships) because of the lengthy wait, ( after we had to vacate our rooms). if your lucky your room will be facing the water ,and on the third floor. That way when you meet someone from the Hyatt whose only staying on the tenth floor, you can brag that your in the penthouse of your hotel. Have a great time.
Old April 25th, 2005, 12:11 PM
afrontino

My husband & I just returned from a cruise on Millennium out of Port Everglades. We stayed at the Best Western Marina on the night before our cruise and also on the night we disembarked from the ship (got bumped, got 2 free roundtrip tickets -- Yaaaay!) The hotel is not the worst we'eve ever stayed in; it's nothing great, just a bed and bathroom, essentially. But (and this is a big but) it is convenient; they have a shuttle to the port (and they are very well organized about it), and the dining room isn't bad. All in all, it's not a bad choice for the purpose.
Anne
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
CruzCrazy

Stayed one night last Jan after my cruise. Couldn't get any other rooms, they were having the Las Olas art show, so I guess many rooms were filled.

Not the greatest, I wouldn't stay more than one night. Kind of chaotic when I got t here, there were people in the parking lot on chairs in the heat waiting to go to the port. We were too early to check in, and there was luggage everwhere. They secured it and we went to have a drink.

I've heard the AmericSuites is much nicer.

But go over to the Hyatt across the street and have a drink in their revolving bar. You may see some cruise ships leaving the port. We went after our cruise and saw our beloved Millenium taking it's next group to the Western Cartib. We had tears in our eyes. They also have a restaurant in the lobby, okay for a salad and sandwich.

Definately take the water taxi down the intercoastal. Beautiful homes. It will take you to some restaurants off the intercoastal or there's a restaurant on Los Olas Boulvevard called Mangos that is excellent.
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:59 PM
jfd

there are better places to stay for the same price.
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Lynne &Trevor

We were down there the weekend of April 28. The Air and Sea Show was on and the parking lots were gauged down by the beach so we decided to go back to the Best Western Marina and park and have breakfast. We had a real nice breakfast with a nice waitress in the restaurant back by the pool. It was very relaxed.We saw cruisers starting to get ready to wait for the shuttle.We've been down there before while in town and had a drink at the Tiki Bar in the pool area which was fine-friendly bartenders (Lisa is one, I think) and there was an entertainer singing Jimmy Buffet songs.
I'm glad we discovered the hotel, as there's parking under the bridge where you can take pictures of your ship before departure. The Star was in, as I knew she would be-we'll be on her Oct. 23! We took plenty of shots with me and the Ship with our new camcorder.We walked over from the Best Western.
As for the rooms, I talked to a cruiser a couple of years ago who was staying there, and he said the rooms are more expensive on the port side. But, it could be worth it if you want to see your ship come in and dock around 5:15AM. (We did that with the Caribbean Princess last year-stayed at our usual place up by the Yankee Clipper and drove down and stood on the third "deck" of the hotel!). Also, we asked the waitress about the rooms this time and the only thing she was told about them was the ones on the port (water) side, smelled a little musty. The rooms are old, that's a given, as that place has been there for many years.
We were pleased enough with the nice, leisurely, relaxed breakfast and the overall convenience to consider staying there in Oct. We better book now, as the Air and Boat Show is supposed to be in town that weekend. We've usually parked in the terminal parking garage-it's covered and secure--don't know what kind of parking program the hotel has. I will clarify that we were there after the main breakfast crowd-but weren't rushed and the food came quickly after it was ordered.
By the way, the Water Taxi sign was off the pole where it usually is-under the bridge. Don't know if that means anything.My son used the Taxi for the first time in December and got to where he needed to go--Las Olas area-very nicely. We saw a restaurant called the Downtowner in that area when we were on the Jungle Queen. We had a drink there another night, and he found his way back there for the Prime Rib the following Monday-via Water Taxi. There are convenient stops throughout the route. Since we were staying closer to the Strip-he took his from the Swimming Hall of Fame area.
This was a long winded answer to a short question-but- that's just me! I hope I've given you some good input. Lynne