Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ickletarakins
Default Roatan--What to do???

We do not want to do an excursion on Roatan Island, as we're only there for half a day (there is no way we're getting up and getting off the ship at 7:30 AM, haha). We really want to just go to a beach...anyone have any suggestions on what beach to go to/the easiest way to get there/how much it would cost us? Thanks!

-Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruise, June 2005
-Sapphire Princess Voyage of the Glaciers Alaska Cruise, May 2008

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM
CandiPinki

Default Re: Roatan--What to do???

This was the first place that I ever went snorkeling and I've been hooked ever since! I went with NCL and it was an undeveloped island from what we saw. We did a beach break type excursion with NCL and we all enjoyed it. If you are going to do this though, I would reccomend bringing some bug spray for the sand things. They didn't hurt or itch but we all had red bumps on our legs. Other than that, the snorkeling was incredible. Oh, and we saw a turtle and I believe a nurse shark.
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:33 PM
jfd

this is not an island to do on your own--it is very primitive .
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Passenger

I think we'll be okay because we just plan on taking a cab to a public beach, probably West End. I found another site talking about how much cabs should cost and how not to get suckered into paying more...which should definitely help!

Old May 8th, 2005, 09:22 PM
First Mate

To Ickletarakins:

I plan on going to West End on Roatan in a couple of weeks. My daughter and I will also go on our own....how much were the taxi's and did you hear this from someone who recently went?

This is our first time to this island as well.
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Passenger

If you do a search on google.com for Roatan Island, or Isla Roatan, it will come up with tons of sites made by people who have already been there...the one I found said that their signs always say $15 for a cab ride, but that's in their dollars, not American dollars, and the exchange rate is really obnoxious, so that it should really only cost you a couple American dollars for a cab ride. Let me know if you can't find the website, I'll try to look it up again...I wish I had written it down when I originally found it!

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Passenger

Never mind, I found the website:

http://www.roatanisland.net/cruiseship.htm

That talks about the "real" taxi fares on Roatan...

Old May 13th, 2005, 02:38 PM
mrsox

Default Re: Re: Roatan--What to do???

But...to play devil's advocate...if you can spare a nice tip it would probably be helpful in the lives of the cab drivers who are likely part of the working poor culture. Roatan is very 3rd world like in most areas....something to keep in mind as we all travel, right?
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Passenger

Oh, I'm all for tipping the drivers and what not, but I agree with the website I posted that when you start paying ridiculous prices for cabs, because you don't know what you're doing, you screw things up for future travelers. When our cruise ship stopped in St. Lucia some years ago, we took a tour of the island by cab, and the driver originally wanted $25 per person. We had been told on the ship that we shouldn't pay more than $10 a person, and that we would probably have to haggle...so we did, and we got him down to $11 per person for seven people. The guy that took us around did great and my parents tipped him very well...there's just no reason to pay way more than everybody else just beause you don't know any better...
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:14 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the website on Roatan taxis. Just hope I can find the taxis after reading the "how to" information on that site. The instruction to go so far in one direction, to the paved rode and turn left or right and so on....a bit confusing and sounds a bit scary.

I'll look for the taxis at the pier and also ask the cruiseship personnel their best advice on taxi fares as well as where to pick one up. If you ask them privately....they will usually tell you what they know, even though the cruiseline is selling packages/tours.

Leave May 21st out of Houston!
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:41 AM
mrsox

The taxis are easy to find...get off the ship at the pier at Coxen Hole and you'll be bombarded w/offers for trips, taxis etc. Keep walking thru the masses and off the actual pier...you'll be on a small paved road at this point (this is only 500-600 feet from the ship). If you go right you'll be heading toward the center of "downtown". Within a minute or two you should easily be able to get a cab ride arranged. Don't be surprised if an english speaking child rides along with you to help the driver with interpretations...sad reality of life on Roatan for many of the kids. Aside from the poverty (which I think is important to see anyhow), Roatan is an amazingly beautiful island that has yet to be spoiled by over commercialization...though it's creeping its way in! Enjoy your cruise!
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Captain

I do mission work in Honduras and my favorite beach in Roatan is Tabyana Beach.
Don't recall what the cab far is to get there but it's a pretty good ways, maybe 30 minutes or so. US Dollars are earily used on the island and many people will understand english but not speak it. The children of upper middle class families will learn it in school so that they can get better paying jobs so you will see lots of little ones interpretting. Enjoy, just watch out for the sand fleas.
Old June 5th, 2005, 06:35 PM
godfredo

We went on an excursin through NCL which provided kayak and snorkeling he second time we were there we did our own thing and it was not worth the trouble.
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM
JennCandi

We went in November and rented a scooter when we got to the end of the pier. It was fun, but dangerous. We traveled all over the island, but were unable to go to any beaches, due to having the scooter.

When you are by the pier there is a shopping area, where they have beautiful wood items. The kids will follow you around. They can not go into the shopping area, but will wait for you outside. They are looking for money and it is very difficult to get rid of them without giving them some. My fiance speaks spanish, so he asked what the kid was going to use it for and he said to eat. We gave him $5, which I believe is about $30 in their money.

It really is a beautiful island!
Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:49 PM
bas

I was there 2 weeks ago. Much cheaper to go to teh beach by taxi than with carnival, and people where taken to the same area. Very nice beach at the west end.
Old July 1st, 2005, 12:39 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Roatan--What to do???

We went there in January. I think a cab for a 3 hour tour was $25.He drove as whereever we wanted to go. West end is nice. Our son stayed on the ship as he was intimidated by the locals. So, we did just went on our own. We also walked along the pier a bit but the shopping is poor. Only a block or 2 long. We gave a little boy $3. and he was thrilled to walk with us and find us what we were looking for. Beautiful island. Many on ship got bit by buys in the sand. I heard some had success w/ Avon skin so soft.
Karyn
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:06 PM
rosetattoo

We booked an excursion thru Carnival to Tabyana Beach, it is beautiful!!! The ride on the bus to the beach was a white knuckle ride but fun. The beach is clean, water crystal clear (good snorkeling right off the beach), clean restrooms, massages on the beach, plenty of comfy lounge chairs, a bar with live music, and buffet (at an extra cost).
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:25 AM
WFD

Horseback riding across Roatan really gives you a different view. We loved it.