Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:06 AM
georgia peach

Default Immigration & Excursion in St. Thomas

Going to Eastern Carribean on Glory 5/28. Can anyone tell me about the immigration process once you arrive in St. Thomas. I have read previous posts about how long the process takes and that it can really cut into your time at port. We arrive in port at 10:00 and the excursion we booked thru the ship is supposed to leave at 10:30.

The excursion we booked is the "ULTIMATE ISLAND EXPERIENCE'" thru Carnival.
Has anyone ever been on this, is it a decent tour?

Leaving in 3 weeks! Any info greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default Re: Immigration & Excursion in St. Thomas

There is no immigration process. You just get on & off the ship. You are cleared once you get on the ship at whatever port you are embarking from.
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Mikes Wifee

Default Re: Re: Immigration & Excursion in St. Thomas

No immigration process! I agree with the lst response you rec'd. Just get off the ship and walk to the area where the tours pick you up! We went on Sunny's Tours when we were there in April.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Ga. Peach, does your ship stop in the Bahamas prior to getting to St. Thomas ?
If it does, then you will have to go through immigration prior to getting off in St.Thomas. If the ship does not visit a foriegn port prior to arrival in St. thomas then you will not have to go through immigration when you arive there.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let us know but at least that's the way it did work.

Jim, or anyone, does it still work this way ?
Old May 7th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Terri Ann

Ga. Peach,

This was our experience on the Valor in January. We ported in Naussau prior to porting in St. Thomas. We had to be processed by immigration before we could disembark. Announcements were made umteen times that if you had early excursions (our was for 10am with Godfrey Tours.) we were to present to immigration at an earlier time.

We were supposed to be in port at 8am We were delayled and did not port until after 9am. I was starting to get worried that we would not disembark before 10am and miss the tour. It went quite smoothly, we were down for immigration by 9:45 and finished and off the boat at 10am. Godfrey, (bless his heart) was there and was waiting. He was aware that the ship needed an immigration clearance.

At that time in January what the above posters have posted was true. You are entering a U.S. port in St. Thomas and if you have a stop in a foreign port before St Thomas you will need to go thru immigration. Just present to immigration during the time window given for early excursions and you should be okay. Hope this helps.

Terri
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Yeoman

We stopped in Nassau before heading to St Thomas on Mariner. The immigration process was so easy. First they take the people on early excursions, then they announce when its open to everyone else. Take your passport/birth certificate along with you and in our case, we walked around the main dining room until a guard briefly looked at it. No stamps, no questions. Sort of a pain, but the line kept moving. We were out of there within 5-10 minutes.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:17 AM
georgia peach

Thanks so much for all your responses. We are stopping in Nassau prior to St. Thomas. I'm glad to hear that the process is less painful than I has previously read. Thanks!

SO Excited - 19 Days to goooooooo !!!!!
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Immigration in St. Thomas is a breeze! Just pay attention to the announcements have your documents ready and you can zip right thru.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Passenger

got back from Glory on April 23rd. Yes, you do have to show passport/ birth certif & DL before departing from ship. Since you have a CARNIVAL early excursion, you will be called first- Heard from other passengers who booked thru Sunny or Godfrey that they were NOT allowed to go off first-had to wait for deck to be called...

Relatively painless- 45 minutes at most.........

Enjoy !!!

by the way- we were first time cruisers- bought LOTS more souvenirs at St Maarten than St Thomas !!!
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Dayzy

Is this the same if the ship goes to St. Martin first, then to St. Thomas?
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Captain

Were you able to take your documents back to your cabin before exiting the ship or did you have to take them on the island with you ?
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Passenger

you could go back to cabin- we chose not to because we had a excursion that left early.......
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:36 PM
georgia peach

UPDATE for Everyone - We decided to cancel our excursion on St. Thomas we had purchased through Carnival and book with Sunny Liston Tours for half the price. I emailed him and he called me at home last night and was happy to answer any questions I had. Like alot of you have already said, he recommended Sapphire Beach over Megans Bay, he said it is cleaner and the water is clearer. It is at a resort so you have ammenitites available. I'm sure this will be great, though we did have our hearts set on seeing Megans Bay.

I was wondering, how is the shopping at Havensight at the pier compared to downtown Charlotte Amalie. I don't think we will have much time to shop downtown and will have to finish shopping at Havensight after our tour with Sunny. Thanks again to everyone for sharing your experiences, it has been SO helpful.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Yes, Dayzy. St. Martin is a foreign port ( half of the island is French and half is Dutch ) and it would work the same.