Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Yeoman

Default Panama Canal tours

We are sailing on RCI Brillance over the holidays (Christmas/New Years) and there dont seem to be any excursions listed for the Panama ports. I thought I had read about others taking side tours of the canal, etc. My dad had heard something about riding a train alongside the canal? If anyone has done this cruise and any excursions would you please pass along any info you have. Weve sailed the entire canal years ago, but were hoping for a more up close look at it this time since we dont sail all the way through it. Plus my husband has never been either. Thanks in advance!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:05 PM
SpTrout

Default Re: Panama Canal tours

My wife and I have taken two tours in Panama (Celebrity- three different visits, one full transit without stopping) and we can highly recommend both. The first is the Two Ocean Train tour that is very likely the tour that your dad mentioned. Excellent tour, probably my favorite tour of any cruise (12) that I have taken. The 4-5 hour tour is about 1/2 train time, with the remaining time spent on a bus tour of the Pacific end of the canal. Note that I believe based on our trip and what I have read from others that this tour usually sells-out, especially the “Dome Car” version.

The second tour that I can also recommend is called the "Grand Tour of Panama." This tour visits Gatun Locks, and an Indian village that is on a small island in Gatun Lake. Very interesting and unusual experience.

Of coarse the availability of either of these tours is dependent on your specific itinerary.
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:27 PM
knarf

Default Re: Panama Canal tours

Hi Alison, Are you my neighbor-she spells her name the same.!!!!!!!!
Another excursion that is available is taking a ferry from Gatun Lake to the Pacific going thru the canal and the other locks and ending up at the Pacific. You take a bus back to Colon to get on your ship. I know this is one of the tours for the Coral Princess on 1/3/06. We are on it . This is the excursion that we are planning on doing. The train is another ex.. that I have also seen that is available , along with the canoe ride ex... to the Indian Village and to some waterfalls. You can check a tour operator for the Indian village and the falls excursion go to www.myfriendmario.com. If you would like a great site that shows live cameras as to "who's" is going thru the canal at this moment go to www.pancanal.com/eng/index.html This site has tons of info about the canal. I have been doing "lots" of reading about the canal and the possible excursions available. I am not a expert , but would be glad to share info . Take care, Knarf ( Frank backwards)