Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What happens if there is a hurricane?

Looks like the tropical storms are starting already. We are booked on an Eastern Caribbean cruise through RCCL July 10th. What happens if there is a hurricane either in the caribbean or at Port Canaveral? Do they cancel the trip? Are we refunded the money. I am just getting nervous that our cruise will be cancelled as we have been waiting 9 months for this cruise.

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: What happens if there is a hurricane?

From what I have heard, in the event of a big tropical storm or hurricane, the captian will
change the course of the cruise. During this fun time of year, all of our course's are totally in the hands of "Mother Nature". If she appears on the east side, the boat will head west, and so on. The captian is not about to put 2000-3000 people in any danger.
Either way, everyone tries to make the best of a bad situation, to which no one has control over. About cancelling, I am really not sure how that works. But if it is there is somthing out there the size and power of an "Andrew" I don't think that they would head out there.
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Admiral

your safety is the Captain's main concern - he will head away from the storm, either out to sea or to a different port.
You pay no cancellation penalties if you cancel before you make your final payment.
The cruise lines rarely cancel a cruise (last year's horrible hurricane season being the exception not the rule) they make every effort to get that cruise in. They loose money if the ship doesn't sail.
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

This is why I booked my cruise for April. I didn't run into any of this. Other with us wanted to go during hurricane season since the rates are lower & I said, "Have fun".

Read too many horror stories of ships avoiding hurricanes & the headaches that go with it. No thanks :-)
Old June 11th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

I live in FL and we cruise during hurricane season. Most of the Hurricanes are in August and September with Mid to late August and mid Sept as the worse. We normally go mid Oct have done that the last 2 years and the weather was great both cruises. It rained our last day at sea on year. WIth the hurricanes the capt will go away from the hurricane meaning if you are set on going to Cozumel you might be going to St Thomas instead. So in that case if you are set on going to a certin port go at a different time of the year. If you are sailing and the hurricane is making landfall near that port they will delay your sailing or perhaps move the ship to another port. So you cruise maybe shorter or to different ports. This year we are not going in Oct but Jan to do the PC. last year Crand Caymen was missed for months do to destruction we never got any compensation for missing Grand Caymen but an additional sea day.
Lexi
Old June 12th, 2005, 10:54 AM
kcmom

Jewels,

I sail on the Mariner the week before you, and also am concerned. However, I've just told my two sons that we have to be flexible. My travel agent said that, in the event of a hurricane, you will probably still have a cruise, but you may end up with a completely different itinerary. In her words, "If you can get ON the boat, you will go SOMEWHERE." I believe that if a hurricane is impacting the port that you board at, then the cruise may be cancelled and we would receive a refund. At least you are not out the money.

My big concern is that we are headed down to Port Canaveral 2 days early in order to visit NASA. I keep imagining a hurricane coming while I sit it out in a hotel room. I understand that last year the first named storm wasn't even until August, so I hate that one has already come in June. I'd be interested in hearing how cruise ships were affected last week, but don't know where to get the information.

So, I'm just trying to not get my heart set on swimming with stingrays. Having said that, I still hope that the peak of hurricane season will not be until late August or September, and that even then, it will not be a repeat of last year. I will cross my fingers for you and you do the same for me.

My wish is that you see three tanned and relaxed people from Tennessee coming off the Mariner while your family boards! : )

kcmom
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Captain

Cruising is kinda' like snow skiing - your vaction is in the hands of Mother Nature. Relax. If you look at the number of cruises that are cancelled it is very, very small. However, if you have your heart set on any particular port rebook your cruise. But remember, winter storms happen too, and political unrest, and dockworker strikes, and plagues of locust. Travel is an adventure, you've got to be flexible.
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Yeoman

We are cruising in just 27 more days to the west caribbean!
If there are no hurricanes and/or tropical storms, we'll see Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel. In the past 12 months, Massachusetts has had a nasty cold, hard winter and now the most miserible wet spring ever!
I don't care anymore.......Just bring us to the sunshine! It's got to be somewhere!
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Momx4 - you have got the right attitude!! There is absoutley nothing that any of us can do about the weather, IF a storm is brewing, your itineary could change, your ports could change, you have to be flexible and go with it.
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:29 PM
venice

just curious, when you booked your cruise for that date were you aware of hurricane season ? (in other words is this your first cruise ?)

People that cruise alot know there is a trade off for cruising the caribbean from late May thru late October...Some people have no choice because of their work schedule or kids vacation..others make the decision to cruise during that period knowing of the possible weather problems but get a great rate and decide to be flexible and have a positive attitude that says just get me on the boat and I'm happy regardless of what island we go to (I am one ot those types of people)

give yourself a "cushion" day at each end of your cruise (go in a day early..get an extra day off from work at the end of your cruise..if everything goes ok you can use that day to rest, do the laundry and figure out where to go on your next cruise) and of course by trip insurance

don;t worry so much about the weather because you can't control it..what you can control is your attitude
Old June 16th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Emilka

Default Re: Re: What happens if there is a hurricane?

I really wouldn't worry about a hurricane. I have been on six cruises in the summer and have never had any trouble. However, my parents went on a cruise in October last year, and their trip was changed due to a storm. Instead of going to NCL's private island, they got longer time in Nassau.

On your cruise documents, it says in small print that they have every right to change the stops for any reason. For example, on one of my cruises, we were supposed to stop at Cartagena, Colombia. But due to a US Travel Advisory, the stop was cancelled and we had an extra day at sea, followed by more time in Aruba. So there really isn't anything you can do as they can change the stops at any time without having to recompensate for it.

-Emilka
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Beginner

kcmom- The Mariner did not get to go to Grand Cayman last week, thanks to TS Arlene . They ended up having an extra sea day. It rained for 2 days straight. My friend was on her honey moon. We board the Mariner on Sunday. Looks like we are headed for rainy weather as well.
Old June 17th, 2005, 05:25 PM
kcmom

CCRN - That would mean no stingray swim for us. : (

I've talked to my two boys about the possibility of altered itinerary. This is our first cruise, so we are just trying to enjoy what we can. The will pack books, travel games, PSP, gameboys, etc. just in case.

I hope that all the storm clouds blow over quickly and you have a great time.

kcmom
Old June 18th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Beginner

Thanks KCMOM. We leave tonight on the redeye. This will be our kids first cruise too! At 8, 8, and 10, you can imagine how excited they are. We are booked for the Stingrays with Soto's cruise, and then will take a taxi to the turtle farm, as my boys love turtles.
I will let you know how it went when we get back. Got to finish packing. We leave tonight!
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:22 AM
Passenger

We were also in the middle or TS Arlene. Our ship rocked a lot!! We tried to sail around it but the storm changed direction and we were in the midst of it. All I can say is TRY to make the best of it. My daughter found if she stayed in her upper bunk she didn't feel as nauseated. Once her feet hit the floor it was bad for her. The crew advised those who were sick to drink very little liquids and eat as much as they could. Seemed to help most. Since I didn't get sick (thank god) the worst thing for me was the sound of the waves hitting the ship. Sounded like explosions. Watching out of our ocean view room ( before they put the metal plates up) and seeing blue waves go up over our window was awesome.

I bet since you aren't on a cruise I booked.....you will have great weather....lol
Happy sailing
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Familiar Face

I booked a Sept cruise knowing the hurricanes could impede our trip. However, the price was great, we can drive to the terminal rather than fly (leaving from Bayonne), and we just want to cruise - really could care less about the ports. Nearly all of them have pretty much the same stuff anyway, just a few variations here and there.
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Passenger

Roadnut,

We booked a September cruise on Voyager leaving out of Bayonne on the 23rd. We also will be driving to Bayonne, but from Boston. Are you on this cruise?

We also booked knowing about hurricane season. Did not purchase the insurance because we figured if there was bad weather, the captain would re-route. We will be on that ship no matter what. What are the chances that they would cancel the entire cruise? We also are not really set on any particular ports and just want to cruise. I am not real big on purchasing the travel insurance as we did buy it for a land vacation one year and had to use it when one person in our party broke his leg and we had to cancel. However, it was a big hassle and we did not get all our money back. I swore I would never buy it again. Keep reading posts from people who say to absolutely buy the insurance. Now I am so unsure.

Old July 6th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Cookie

I've been cruising for more than 25 years on all types of ships in hurricane season, winter storms, summer storms, etc. and have never had a trip canceled. I have been rerouted because of weather (only 3 times), social unrest in South America (only 1 time), and problem with ship's stabilizers (?) (only 1 time) but I have not been disappointed with the change of plans. I have missed a few ports that I would have liked to have seen, however, as Roadnut says most ports are all the same anyway (especially in the Carribbean). I can understand if this is your big vacation of the year and have your plans changed how disappointed you might be, but trust me, some uninterrupted plans are for the best. Last year on the Dawn we experienced some problems on a 10 day cruise and you have never heard such griping and complaining. We were given a lot of shipboard credit because of the extra days at sea but there were some constant complainers onboard. I just enjoy cruising and am thrilled to go at any time and if there is a change of ports, plans, go with the flow. It's part of the adventure! Happy Cruising!
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:02 PM
kcmom

Okay guys,

Here I am on the Mariner with Hurricane Dennis right behind us. Yes, we were disappointed to learn that we will not go to Grand Cayman or Cozumel. We did however, have an awesome time at Labadee and Ocho Rios. My two teenagers loved everything we did. We will be at sea the next two days and then spend Saturday in Nassau. So, diappointed - yes. Will we cruise again - as soon as we get the money!!

Jewels 37 - if you are out there, I took care of the hurricane for you!!!

kcmom
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Dayzy

Jewels-
I leave July 10th on Carnival for the Eastern Caribbean also... Believe me, I'm having the same concerns you are... I hope things clear up for us!
Old July 8th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Beginner

kcmom- Glad to know that you are safe, but so sorry that Dennis ruined your chance to swim with stingrays. Soto's cruises to stingray city was great! I feel blessed that we actually made it to all of our ports.
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Lynne and Trevor

Now we're up to July 17th. Dennis has gone up north and Emily has gone by. Heaven only knows what will happen to Cozumel and Cancun, and Belize. I think that in the short term, Jamaica and the Grand Caymans will be accessible. Perhaps Costa Maya will be OK, too. But,unless a miracle happens, Cozumel will be closed for at least a week or longer, depending on the damage.
So far, it doesn't look as if there are any real threats behind Emily so we can all rest for awhile!
Lynne
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Admiral

I was on a cruise last year Sept 18 that was suppose to go Eastern and we had to go Western instead. That was the bummer as I had already been to the Western. Now the GREAT thing was we got to stay out 2 extra days because they closed the ports!!!! They just keep you away from the storm. The way I see it, I don't care where I go as long as I am crusing.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09