Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to sanditoes
Default weather in January-Western Carib.

We are heading to Hati-Ocho-Jamacia and Coz. at the end of Jan. 06 on the Mariner. I know there is nothing anyone can do about the weather and that no one can predict it, but what has been everyones experience to date on your Jan. cruises????

Thanks for your help,
sanditoes

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: weather in January-Western Carib.

We sail over New Years and did Western 2x, Eastern 1x. In both places, generally we found it to be on the cool side when leaving home port (a light jacket was fine on deck during sailaway-plus its dark so no sun to keep you warm). Sea days can be a little rough and cool as well (more so on Eastern trips), but in port, its was the usual hot and humid type weather. In fact, even in Key West it was hot and humid! Both times in Cozumel there was a brief thunderstorm/shower followed by a wonderful rainbow. And both times it happened on my birthday-New Years day so that was sort of cool. A light sweater, jacket or sweatshirt should keep you warm enough. Of course if youre from the north, youll probably be able to deal with the cooler temps!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Admiral

we have pretty much experienced the same thing that Alison stated. Your port of departure can be a bit on the cool side, you might need light weight pants and a light jacket or sweater. The first day or two out at sea were a bit breezy and on the cooler side, but not so cool that we didn't lounge out on deck or go into the pool. The ports were down right hot and muggy especially in the cities.
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Passenger

Thanks,
Right, as you stated and we are, from up north, we are from central MN so truley sun and 60 is dang nice to us in the middle of winter at home, so add those temp.s to tropical views, palms and vacation I don't care what it's like, so long as I don't see snow!!!!!

I guess I was wondering more for packing- and you guys got it. I didn't want to think-oh sun pack tank tops and get there and wish the whole time we had t-shirts!! so maybe limit tanks and pack t-shirts and a sweatshirt or two!!!

I can do that-heck most the time up here we need sweatshirts on summer evenings anyways!!!

Thanks for your help, I'm sure you'll see my name again soon!!!
sanditoes

Old June 17th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Yeoman

Also keep in mind the sun is still really strong down there. I grew up in Chicago so seeing the sun was a rarity in winter. When we cruised, my pastey white skin woudl fry pretty easily during the winter!

Something that might be nice to have: those pants that you can zip off the lower part of the leg to make into shorts. They might be good for on the flight, then once you get south, unzip them. Most that Ive seen are pretty lightweight material so I dont know how warm youd be in them. With me, as long as Im warm on top, I could care less about my legs. Many boating stores, Lands End, and maybe even LL Bean type places carry them (at least Ive seen them in their catalogs).

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Admiral

we travel from New England- we always fly in the day before just in case of weather. We usually travel in lightweight cotton pants, t-shirt and a zip-front sweatshirt or lightweight jacket. We wear the ski jackets but we use valet parking at the airport and we leave the ski jackets locked in the trunk. If you wear the sweatshirt or jacket thats one less bulky item that you will have to pack.
When it comes to t-shirts and tank tops - i pretty much pack half and half. You can always pick up a couple of t-shirts cheaply on the islands.
Old June 20th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Passenger

LisaK,
You're right, I forget about the good old souviner T-shirt. I think I have it all laid out then, as my husband says I am a worry wort and that I am not going to have any fun come the Holidays because I will have it all figured out and done? I say no because by then I will have high strung kids who know it's coming and family asking at every party what are we going to be doing-where will we be going- what about this and that, and I will have all my answers!!

Anyways Thanks everyone again it is all written down and safely tucked away!!
sanditoes