Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:31 PM
markbon

Default West Carib Excursions

Looking for recommendations on excursions. I've got my wife and I, an 11 year old boy and my 16 year old son and his friend. We'll be in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica on the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans sailing July 3rd.

Any ideas on where we can get a "day admission" on 7 Mile Beach in GC? We'll be doing a snorkel tour to Stingray City (did it last year and loved it) but would like to spend some time at the beach, just sitting, drinking and playing. Any rec's?

Cozumel: did Paradise Beach last year and loved it. Wanted a bit more snorkelling or perhaps a sailing trip. Any ideas?

Finally, Jamaica. Not real excited about this stop; I preferred Key West! Anyone do the river tubing? I've heard its calm but only last a short while. Any other ideas? I've read about Dunn's but wanted some other options.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Any one else traveling on this trip? I'm sure my kids would love to find someone to hang out with.
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: West Carib Excursions

Grand Caymen - 7 mile beach is a public beach so there is no admission charge, there are vendors on the beach. You can purchase a day pass at any of the hotels along the beach to use the hotel's "facilities".
Cozumel - since you are looking for a snorkel excursion i would highly recommend booking a ships tour that goes to the Palencaar Reef - amazing snorkeling.
Jamaica - there are a couple of different river rafting tours. You can do a river rafting tour on the Martha Brea River which is very interesting,and relaxing -might be a bit boring for the kids, don't know your kids. You sit on a padded seat on these long bamboo rafts while your river guide gently poles you along, you can swim along if you like. The scenery is beautiful the water refreshing.
Haven't gone on the tube tour so i can't comment. Dunns River Falls is a blast, the whole family would enjoy it. If you don't feel comfortable climbing the falls, there is a walkway alongside, and there are also "outways" along the climb if for any reason you don't want to continue your climb. There are also plantation tours that are very interesting. I would highly suggest that you look into a local tour company like Peat Taylor to do anything in Jamaica.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to energizedbunnny

In Cozumel we used a company that was great for snorkeling. In Grand Cayman we are using a company that offers Stingray snorkle, Coral Reef snorkel and a visit to Rum Point Beach and it includes lunch. Email me for info. I dont think I can put the company names on here.
We are going back to Western Caribbean in November on Ledgend and we are using both these places ourselves.

Shelli
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:21 PM
DebbieB

Can anyone tell us how do you book excursions at the various ports of call?
We're Leaving on July 1st, need info ASAP!
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:08 PM
markbon

Default Re: Re: West Carib Excursions

Find their info on the web or on these boards and then email them or call them.

Grand Cayman: Capt. Marvins has a web page. Soto's doesn't but you can email then. You set up the trip and then put a deposit and they give you instructions on where they'll meet you. Soto's email is scruises@candw.ky

I haven't used services at other places yet but do a search for the port and tours and you'll get more than you need. Look up around on these boards for other rec's.