Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Passenger

Default Hurricane Season

When does Hurricane season officially start?Do hurricanes ever arrive in early August?Let me rephrase that........Do they usually arrive in early August or is it later in the month.
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hurricane Season

I believe that hurricane season is from June to November.

Old June 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Admiral

June to November is correct. Statistically the heaviest period is September, but that said there can be a storm any time during the "season" and there already has been one or two this year.
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Passenger

Hurricane season officially starts June 1 and goes through November 30. Most storms are in the Aug/Sept time frame. Please don't mention hurricanes!!!! My family just went through 3 of 4 of them last yea! No electricity for 8 days and the storm didn't even hit my area!

SSSHH! Don't want to wake up the Hurricane Goddess!
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

DeeDee,
I'm guessing you're in the Central Florida area like we are? Not to worry.....I dont' think we'll have any hurricanes here this summer.....I'm basing this idea on my husbands purchase of a generator.....now that we have one we won't need it!
Angela Z.

Old June 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Angela--hope that works. My two kids go to college in Tampa. They were both there for all the hurricanes last year.

Old June 30th, 2005, 04:42 PM
CruzCrazy

Yes hurricane season starts in June and had most of its activity in the Western Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico.

But then in August thru November the waves come off Africa and that's when the larger, more intense storms are. These are the ones that mostly affect the Eastern Caribbean the the US Eastern coast or can even pass thru the Eastern Caribbean islands and head up the Gulf of Mexico like last year.

I live in Miami and I watch the Tropical Update on the Weather Channel to get prepared if need be. I take hurricanes very seriously.

I do two or three cruises a year and NEVER cruise during hurricane season.

To be on the safe side, the best times in the Caribbean are always Dec through May. You never have to worry about any storms then.
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:46 PM
LISA702

We live in Central FL too and we bought a generator as well. I figured since we've done that........we def won't need it!
Old July 1st, 2005, 06:28 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Hurricane Season

As we just got a quote of $12,000 to put hurricane shutters on
our house, I'm glad to hear from 2 of you that we won't need them.

We're not getting them at that price...maybe I should book another
cruise.

Old July 12th, 2005, 11:57 AM
ellen265

Lou,

Funny you mentioning hurricane shutters. We purchased them a couple of months ago from Florida and are still waiting for them. Guess it will be awhile because of Hurricane Dennis and now a new tropical storm called Emily has formed and looks like it is also headed for Florida (the projections from the Weather Channel).

We do not cruise at all thru hurricane season. Usually, we cruise during April to May and so far we have been luckly.

We live in Bermuda.

Ellen
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:51 PM
First Mate

I have to add on to CruzCrazy's post about NEVER crusing in hurricane season...

We don't either, and when planning our cruise wedding, I'm a teacher with only certain times we could marry since I couldn't miss school. Summer, Christmas, or Spring Break. Christmas too expensive. Summer is hurricane season. So we chose Spring Break. Reading the various cruise wedding boards, I am always amazed at the brides who choose to plan their weddings in the Caribbean smackdab in the middle of hurricane season. Then they are totally ticked off when they are rerouted and never make it to their wedding destination. Hurricane season is the same dates from year to year, yet they plan a wedding in the middle of it hoping to beat the odds. I'm just too chicken to marry or cruise the Caribbean during that timeframe.

So... always think very carefully about cruising in hurricane season AS WELL AS planning a wedding in the Caribbean during hurricane season!!
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Passenger

We live in Deer Park, a bedroom community just east of Houston. During hurricane season, we breath a sigh of relief the 1st week of October. August and September are the months when we keep focused on the Gulf of Mexico. Having a large storm coming down the pipe this early in the season is unsettling to say the least. We live eight miles from upper Galveston bay and we are 27' above sea level, according to the flood control maps a cat 5 storm will push water all the way to NASA, Clear Lake, and most of Deer Park and places in between.
Old July 17th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Hurricane Season

My brother lives in Melbourne FL and they had to evacuate twice last year. We are in Jacksonville, FL so they evacuated here ...but they hate hurricane season. We are lucky here as we haven't had a major one in awhile...Floyd came VERY close and scared the heck out of me but other then that nothing much. We lost some power last year here but we didn't get a direct hit either. Let's hope everyone stays safe...and we too were going to buy a generator during the tax free period they offered but decided against it.

Old July 17th, 2005, 03:15 PM
CruzCrazy

I would just like to add that if you live in any area that could experience a hurricane, you should try to get some type of shutters for your house. There's nothing worse than staying in your home during a hurricane and worrying about your windows crashing in. You really should do whatever it takes to protect your home, but more important yourself.

A generator is smart to have. Even if you don't get a direct hit, there's a chance the outer band winds could bring down electric lines as well. This happened in Miami during Dennis. Luckily, we didn't lose our electric, but we have a generator and got gas for it just in case.

With a generator, at least you can run your refrigerator and a fan or small A/C unit so you can get some sleep. Some folks are out of electricity for over a month, but even a week or a few days in Florida summers are brutal.

Let's hope this year's season will be a safe one for all.
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Hi,
We live in Central Florida, too, about at the point where the 3 hurricanes criss-crossed-Avon Park. This will be our 5th cruise in Oct--late Oct! Generally, we have gone in mid-end of Sept or the 1st or 2nd week in Oct. The first one was a gift and the neighbors and we went in February when the rates were at their highest-at least it was for them! Last year was the first year we've gotten "caught". Jeanne had already gone out to the Atlantic Ocean but then she decided to turn around. We had to stay out 2 extra days, and I watched the TV seeing that Sebring/Avon Park was right in the path of the storm.
Luckily for us, we didn't sustain any damage to our house in any of them, except for the inconvenience of no power.
I work at a retirement community so I was at work for the first two hurricanes with the residents, while Trevor was minding the store here.
This year he has purchased a battery operated TV, Fan, MANY batteries, and we have battery powered lights. The worst part for him was being so hot. Our kids in Lake Wales, an hour north, took some of our meat, etc, from the freezer after the first ones hit. During Jeanne, they ended up in a motel!
Trevor feels that we won't get any hurricanes in our interior this year because of the percentages. Last year was a fluke. Our building at work sustained 1 million reported dollars in damages and we're still making repairs.The new roof is finally being sealed, that will protect the builiding up to 122 mph winds. However, that doesn't stop the rain coming through windows, balconies, etc, where repairs still need to be made.
I think that the folks in Central Florida will be a little anxious around Aug. 13, Sept.4-6, and Sept. 25 this year. Last August, the day after Charley, our next door neighbors were scheduled for a cruise aboard the Caribbean Princess and went. In Sept. we were ON the Caribbean Princess and missed Jeanne.
I hope we can rest easy for awhile. Lynne

Old August 1st, 2005, 01:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

We too made it through all of them last year with no major damage. As we live in Polk County, which was the favorite track in 2004; we are crossing our fingers that 2005 won't be a repeat! We've only cruised one time in hurricane season & it was wonderful ... I guess you just take your chances when you book! My sister is going this year in September, hope my luck will be with her! Cathy

Caribbean Princess
HAL Zuiderdam -October 2003
Disney Wonder - May 2004
HAL Statendam - May 2005
Disney Wonder - Sept 2006
Carnival Fantasy - Dec 2006
Carribean Princess - Oct 2007
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Yeoman

My prayers go out to all of you. We just got back from Indian Harbour beach. Visited family there before cruise. Sad to see that after almost 1 yr, there are still so many blue tarps on roofs, hotels are still out of business and many homeowners still needing to get major repairs done! Glad I did not buy the house I always wanted on the ocean. We just sailed out of Tampa on the Carnival Miracle, same day the Dennis was in town. On land, our long, long wait (13 hrs) was not fun, but once at sea, the ship was fine. Seas were approx. 10-12 ft. a few humps, but nothing that got any one sick or anything. We missed Grand Caymen, Dennis got there first. Then by the time we got to Cozumel, all eyes were watching Emily.......I honestly don't know how you guys can deal with these dam storms, it was nerve racking to say the least. I'll keep my blizzards!
We made it back just fine, not problems. weather during whole trip was great, seas were ok, not rough at all.

When we got home, found out brother in-law was in Haiti with his local church group, saving the world I guess, when deniis hit there. They didn't know it was coming. They had no satillite, no phones, no way of getting in touch with the world.
a whole mountian side gave way, bridge washed out. There are not a lot of sound structures in Haiti, so they stayed in a half stone house on the top of the mountian,
took 18 hrs to get off the mountian after the slide happened. Had to chop up a new path. Now he's safe at home and needs 2 surgeries. Tore rotater cup and got a bad staph infection from mosqetoes that meds just can't clear away! Can you believe he wants to go back! He feels like God made this his calling to help.....

Just goes to show, there's no reasoning with hurricane season!
Mother nature will do as she pleases and we need to deal the best we can with her.
God bless and stay safe!
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Yeoman

We were on the Glory last year during hurricane Jeanne. Our itin was changed from Eastern to Western, but the weather was beautiful! The only problem was that we had to stay out to sea for 2 extra days due to port closings. Then stay another 2 days in Ft Lauderdale to get a flight home. While my heart went out to those adversely affected, we enjoyed our extended vacation. I am not afraid to cruise in hurricane season IF I have the extra vacation days to burn. DH did not and had difficulties with his employer regarding the vacation time theat was not pre approved.

Lesley