Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Donna T

Default labadee

I've heard that the RCCL island resort area Labadee is man made. I've heard that underneath the beach sand is concrete. Has anyone heard of this or has any other interesting info?
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: labadee

Its news to me, I didn't run into any concrete?? Even if it is true, the beach is beautiful, lots do to or just sit and relax. Be sure to get some of the BBQ lunch, they have at least 3 areas where they serve the food. Good idea too, is to reserve a floaty mat, cost is appx. $10.00 for the day and they are nice in the water and on the beach.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Passenger

We were there a while back. If there is concrete under it all, you'd never have guessed. Seemed very natural, like any other beach area.

It's quite a lovely area and one of your favorite stops.
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Yeoman

We went in Dec. A tip if you want to avoid a lot of crowds. When you get off the tender right there. The beach to the left is very crowded. We walked to the very back corner. It's near where they sell stuff. They have a bbq place here and many less people.
The foo foo drinks there that day were yummy!

Enjoy!
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just came back from there and loved it!!!! We booked our next cruise because it goes there. It was a very beautiful beach. Very relaxing. Can't wait to go back.

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Mobilmom

We were there two years ago. The beach is beautiful, and take advantage of the market shops. Alot of island handmade items. I wished after we stopped at the other ports that I would of bought more there. I agree get a float mat for the day you won't be sorry. It was very relaxing. That stop was one of the highlights of our trip. Have a great time.
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi

We too never sit where we can see the ship. If you can see the ship it will be croded we go to the other side. The water is much clearer. The Island guys seem to always want $ to find you a chair. The lunch is good too the the Labadozzee oof my favorite!
Lexi
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Yeoman

The only problem with going to the other side is that it can get rough over there. Where you can see the ship is pretty calm since its an inlet. Since we had a 2 yr old, we needed a safe place to swim, and a short walk! We got some great photos of us in the water with the ship in the background (our own and the ships photographer took some too). The foo foo drinks are awesome, and we got ours in a souvenir straw cup. They can be charged on your sea pass since its RCIs "island staff". The guys there even got us lounge chairs and set them up for us (so bring some cash for tips and souvenirs). The food was decent too and theres plenty to do. We bring our own spring floats when we travel to save spending money at every beach stop (we hit the beach every stop with our beach loving son). We also bring our sons life jacket from home since you cant take the ones from your cabin.

One thing about the vendors in the shopping area-they are very aggressive. I made the mistake of walking through on my own (though following a group of college guys). I was grabbed and pulled into several stalls as soon as I got in the place. I later returned with my dad, and felt a bit safer even though I was still grabbed. Some of the items they have to sell are incredible if you like native things. Be sure to bargain with them, and they are able to personalize items on the spot with a burning iron. We bought a little treasure type box for my son (with his name added and Haiti-how many kids have that), and we each got really neat hand carved canes (also personalized).

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Passenger

Labadee is part of the island of Haiti, so I doubt that it would be man made. RCCL's area is fenced and guarded from the rest of Haiti. The only locals allowed in the area are the ones that are selling in the market place or performing.

We did the kayak tour. You had the opportunity to paddle to the neighbouring village area (we weren't allowed very close to shore). It was heart breaking to see how poor the people are there. No running water, living in tiny shacks with no windows or doors. My in-laws did a boat tour aournd the area and enjoyed that as well.

Its a great beach day too, RCCL put on a great BBQ with local dancers and lots of games etc.
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:57 PM
diane c

labidee is a beautiful island. lots of stones... did the aquatic park. unless your children are over 10 would be a waist of time. oh, their where lots of jelly fish, kids being stung. whatch that. we just got back..