Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2005, 04:07 PM
John and Stephen

Default Calica/Playa

What is Xcaret? Any recommendation on what to do here? Love to snorkel or is there a great beach. Can you snorkel at Xcaret? Thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Calica/Playa

Just read some information re: Xcaret {Frommer's Caribbean Ports of Call} in planning for a RCCL/Navigator 9-17-05 trip. Evidentally, it's about 4 miles south of Playa on the coast and is a 250 acre ecological theme park w/small Mayan ruins scattered around lush landscaped acres. It says visitors can put on life jackets for a river ride, which takes them thru currents running thru a series of caves. You can also snorkel thru the caves (Frommer's Highly recommends this!). Also, you can swim w/dolphins though this is an extra cost & requires advance reservations. The park has a botanical garden, an aquarium, a sea-turtle breeding & release facility, a dive shop, a rotating observation tower, a Mayan village & two theaters that put on cultural shows. Frommer's indicates that excursions run about $88 US/pp and take a full day from Cozumel. It's not listed among Frommer's "Favorite Cozumel Experiences" but it sounds like a great place to go-especially the cave snorkeling! I would think that since it even made the book-it would be worthwhile to check out.
Old July 15th, 2005, 05:51 PM
rsham

Default Re: Calica/Playa

I have been to Xcaret twice and would go back again because I have still not seen it all. I recommend the cave float. I did not say snorkle because we really did not see anything in the water. It is well worth the time to cool off and just enjoy. It is best to do this when you first get to the park because it gets crowded later in the day. There are places to swim in lagoons and tidal pools. Animals to see. A very enjoyable time for all in our group.