Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Passenger

Default Butterfly Farm and Skyride

Has anyone done the Butterly Farm in St. Maarten and/or the Skyride in St. Thomas? We'll be visiting both islands for the first time in November and these are both listed as shore excursions and we would appreciate any input from those of you who've been there. Thanks.
Redlyn
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Butterfly Farm and Skyride

I loved the Skyride in St Thomas. It has the most beautiful view at the top....

Jewel of the Seas
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Passenger

Gerawlynd,
Did you do the Skyride on your own or was it a shore excursion?
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Passenger

If I remember right we did it on our own and it's just a short walk through the shopping area and across the street....it's like a cable car ride and it is awesome

Jewel of the Seas
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info, Gerawlynd. I think we'll do that on our own since the shore excursion is $15.
Old August 7th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do the Skyride on your own, not as part of a shore excursion... you can easily find it from the dock (5 minute walk, tops) so long as you dock at the Havensight Mall dock, and not the one across the bay (!). Buy a ticket and take the first available tram to the top. You can go and come back on your own schedule. My mom and one of my sons are afraid of heights. They took a cab up, which I don't recommend. We had to pay extra to get one to go there with just two people in it... then it took FOREVER for the people up there to get a cab to come back for them! The tram ride is short but the view is beautiful. The restaurant isn't much. Plan on taking a few pictures, get a drink or a soda, check out the expensive gift shops and maybe take a minute or two with the bird display... then head back down. I wouldn't give up going somewhere else for this experience. I had been to St. Thomas 8 times before I went up the tram... and it was only because my youngest son really wanted to ride the tram. When we came back down, my mom and youngest went back to the ship and I took my other son in town to shop.

The butterfly place on St. Maarten/St. Martin is fun. It's not big... but it's interesting, especially if you like butterflies. I enjoyed seeing the blue morphos. There's a tiny giftshop with endless items all with butterflies. I bought a tshirt I still wear and a poster that had the alphabet within the patterns of butterfly wings. If you have kids that like that sort of thing, take them. The farm is on the "other" side of the island... you could probably take a cab tour of the island and get a stop here, plus see some other things. My favorite shore excursion in St. Maarten is the "Treetop Experience". I can't remember the name of the place... oh yeah... Lottery Tree Farm (the owner won it in a lottery). If you don't mind heights do this one! They put you in climbing harnesses, give you a lesson on safetly lines, etc. and then you do an obstacle course in the treetops. There are zip lines, bridges, swings, tarzan rope swing, etc. It takes about an hour to complete the course and it's a LOT of fun! I never felt unsafe... we had two teens with us and they loved it. Only one woman came down early. She was about 4'11" tall and just couldn't comfortably make it across some of the spans without some serious jumping. At 5'4" I could make it, but there were times when the stretch was all I had! Another man "should" have quit but didn't. He was overweight and fell once... he couldn't pull himself back up to the platform. I worried he was going to have a heart attack! It's not bad, but it IS physical. There are watchers on the ground (to make sure you're rigged properly for each obstacle) but you're on your own as far as getting across things. I'd do this one again if I went with someone who hadn't done it before.

I'm looking for suggestions for St. Maarten as well for this coming February... tours, boats, biking, kayaking, etc.???

Stacy
Old August 8th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Passenger

Default Butterfly Farm and Skyride

Thanks for the good information about the Skyride & Butterfly Farm, Stacy. The Lottery Tree Farm owner evidently has a sense of humor and it sounds like lots of fun but since I'm around 4'11" it may not be the thing for me.

Redlyn
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Paradise Point Tramway is just a short distance from the pier, do it on your own, the view of the harbor is breathaking.
Have heard mixed reviews about the Butterfly Farm in Marigot, i guess it is on the small side. If you do decide to do this, just grab a cab and do it on your own.