Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to babcie3
Default Volendam 10 night Caribbean Cruise

Hello,

We are looking at taking the Volendam 10 night Caribbean Cruise in March 2006. Has anyone taken this cruise and if so, what can you tell me about? Any and all information would be appreciate. We have never been to the Caribbean so we can use all the help we can get. This is only our second cruise, first one was on Carnival Victory to Canada. We have friends that will be going with us and they have never cruised before so I would like to give them all the information I can. Would love to hear about the ports,
activities and the ship. Also, does Holland America have a midnight show like Carnival?

The ports are:
Oranjestad, Aruba
Willemstad
Roseau, Dominica
Cabrits, Dominica...for 1 hour?
St. Thomas
Half Moon Cay
Then back to Fort Lauderdale

Since Easter is not until April 15th or 16th, would we still run into Spring Break?

Thank you very much.

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Volendam 10 night Caribbean Cruise

Hello babcie3..... I cannot tell you much about the other ports since i have never really cruised before, however, i can definite tell you about Dominica, since i have been leaving here for the last two years.

Dominica in itself is a very beautiful country... lush and green. There is not much to do when it comes to shopping, though there are vendors all around the capital and the visiting sites with different souvenirs and other hand-crafted items for sale. However, if you are a nature lover, then Dominica is the place to be. There are a great many palces to visit on the island of Dominca. These include the following:

Roseau - Dominica

Trafalgar Falls (twin falls):
more commonly known as the mother and father falls. A 20 min drive takes one from the capital city of roseau into the interior of the island. from there a short walk to the viewing platform where this beautiful cascading waterfall can be seen. Under the supervision of a guide, one can proceed to have a bath in the pool at the base of the falls.

Emerald Pool (Fountain of Youth)
This grotto is a short walk into the centre of the island. Bring your swimming gear, but please be advised that the pool is very cold.

Fresh Water Lake

Carib territory (Carib Indians)
The last of the carib indians can be found on this island.
Layou valley
Sulphur Springs
Snorkeling
River tubing
Rain forest Aerial tram
Boeri Lake
Boiling lake... A very difficult hike
.... And many more.

cabrits, Dominica

Situated in the second town called Portsmouth, the recently restored Fort Shirley can be found on this headland. Wander around ths headland and you'll probably stumble upon old buildings and canons from the fort.
Also of note in Portsmouth is te Indian River, where you can take a boat ride through the mangroves for about a mile.

I hope i was able to offer you some help on Dominica. I can also be of help to you on booking your tours well in advance on this island, since on the days that the cruise ships are in port, the tours a booked very rapidly.

Joan
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:46 PM
Richard Tremblay

Default Re: Volendam 10 night Caribbean Cruise

Hello,
My Wife and I said on the MS Volendam in Nov-Dec 2003. The experience was wonderful. You need to expect the average age to be arround 60 years old.
The service is second to none and we have sailed RCCI, Princess, Norweign. Our Cabin selection was Cat B - Verandah 284sq ft(on deck 6). The aveage cabin size is much larger than the other Ships we have sailed For our age group we can honestly say we have made HAL our cruise line of choice. The Island we sailed to were Aruba, Isla De Margarita, Trinidad, Martinique, St. Thomas, and Halfmoon Cay. All were wonderfull, although I would not choose to return to Martinique. Expect a wonderful stay on HAL's private Island - Halfmoon Cay, this is by far the best private island we have ever visited.
BestReguards and have a wonderful cruise,
Richard & Nancy