Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Best of St. Thomas in 1 day

I'm hoping to get some ideas from all you seasoned cruisers out there as to what is a must to do while in St. Thomas for a day. We'll have from 7am to about 5pm. Not a clue where to start in deciding on excursions or do we just brave it and explore on our own??

Any input will be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Best of St. Thomas in 1 day

Get of the ship early. Get in a cab and go to Saphire Bay beach. Swim, snorkel and sun for 3 or four hours. Wash off and dry using their facilities. Take a cab , perhaps ask the driver for a one hour tour the head for downtownCharlotte Amoile. Shop the local shops
for everything from Jewelry, perfume , liquor, electronics, linens and souvenirs.
Stop at Evergreen on front street for a coctail or a cold beer. Head back to the ship with your loot and your tan.
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Get off the ship early, grab a cab to the beach- there are so many to choose from - go to www.vinow.com for some great information. Spend the morning at the beach, go back to the ship if you want to drop off your beach stuff, grab a bite to eat.
Take the Paradise Point Tramway - for a beautiful view of the harbor( tram is very close to the pier) then do some shopping- either at Havensight Mall (at the pier) or in downtown Charlotte-Amalie. Just allow yourself enough time to get back to the ship, traffic can be horrendous- you must be on the ship 1 HOUR BEFORE she sails.
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:13 PM
First Mate

We will be there in March, we are doing the sky tram and shopping at Havensight MAll right by the ship, in the afternoon doing the BOB excursion. Underwater and snorkling!! Have fun!!!

RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Papa Bill, LisaK and Sunlover,

Thanks so much for all your great tips! I'll be copying these off to take along!!
Thanks again!
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Colleen, big mistake actually listening to us.
Seriously, whatever you do, relax and enjoy yourself.
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Gord Bemister

check out Godfrey's Tours. he has a website. the cost is $20 US per person and you pay at the end of the tour. He picks you up right at the ship, takes you to the shopping area for 1.5 hours then to a look out where you can see all over the islands, then you can either go to a beach or more shopping. we traveled last fall in October and this was the highlight of our trip.
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:33 PM
mike53

when are you scheduled to be there? what ship?
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Best of St. Thomas in 1 day

Mike53,

We'll be there January 10th on the 8-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Liberty.
My first cruise, I was with several other past cruisers who had lots of experience .
This cruise, it's just a girlfriend and myself at this point and we're both a little nervous about being able to squeeze in the best possible time on every island!
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Best of St. Thomas in 1 day

Thankyou Gord....will be checking out Godfrey's Tours...thanks for the tip! :-)
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:21 PM
BoosterMom

We did Godfrey's Tour in July and were very disappointed. He forgot to pick us up at our ship. Carnival had flip flopped the ports of St. Thomas and St. Maarten, but we had email confirmation from Godfrey that he had made the change. We were to meet him at 10:00, were outside the ship at 9:30, saw him leaving the port area at 10:10......I ran to get him. He let us on then after the 2 hrs of shopping in Charlotte Amalie, he transferred us to another truck with another driver..........We didn't get Godfrey's tour. He and the other guy stayed together but we heard nothing Godfrey said. He then talked everyone into going to Coki beach because the snorkeling and everything else was supposed to be better. He had someone meet the trucks and take us to a "special" part of the beach.............it was horrible............I won't say anymore ya'll have heard this before from me. I'd do a ship excursion next time or go with Sunny Liston(same type tour but he didn't cram his truck nor his tour full of people.)
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:10 PM
hcat

we enjoyed a ships excursion to St John for snorkelling (included convenient ferry)
on return had lots of time to shop at Havensight--did not go into town--too much traffic & congestion
Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on a HAL ship and enjoyed the Champagne Catamaran trip to St. Johns for snorkeling (Capt. Mike). It was a beautiful day and a great excursion - to us much better than shopping.
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thankyou to everyone who gave input on what to while in St. Thomas...it's very much appreciated!!
Old September 6th, 2005, 06:40 PM
DanP

My wife and I did the BOB ,what a great time to ride a small motor scooter under water.Go to a search and look up BOB in St Thomas.
Old September 17th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Passenger

Hands down - go for Godfrey. He was so nice, open air little bus. Took us to shop 1st, then a tour up in the Mtn's, took pictures of you with your cameras for you. Then to beach of your choice & he keeps you valuables, etc locked up. What I liked too was when you got off the ship & all kinds of cabs trying to get your business. You just say "waiting for Godfrey" & they oh, yeah, he'll be here & then they leave you alone. He shows up with a sign to pick you up & gets all those that are booked on with him & away you go. Get back to the ship in plenty of time & you pay when you get back.
Old September 17th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Went into town and went shopping as it was raining in november and had wanted to take the ferry to St John's but the rain changed our minds and it did clear up so from town took a taxi and went to Meghan's Bay, little over cast so you couldn't see down into the clear water, beach was a little small but kinda pretty. Have fun in whatever you decide to do.