Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Admiral

Default St. Tom & St. John time for both?

Im going to be in Saint Thomas from 7:30am-5pm I would like to go up in the skyride to Paradise and maybe do an island tour with the ship or local company or a bit of shopping.I also would like to snorkle in Saint John somewhere uncrowded with a good chance I will see animals such as turles, and rays. Will that be enough time to do all that?
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: St. Tom & St. John time for both?

Looks like you will be trying to do too much in just one day. The trip to St. Johns takes some time, either on your own or with an excursion... I would think you could do that and the tram, a little shopping by the pier and that would pretty much fill the day.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Admiral

That's really too much to try to cram into one day.
Get off the ship early - grab a cab to Red Hook Harbor to get over to St. John - the ferries run every hour on the hour- check out the tourism web site @ www.vinow.com for some great information and schedules.
IF you want an uncrowded beach stay away from Trunk Bay. There are lots a beautiful, beaches to choose from. Swim, snorkel relax for a few hours, grab the ferry back to St. Thomas, grab a cab back to the ship, drop off your snorkel and swim gear, grab quick lunch on the ship, then either head over to Paradise Point Tramway - its really close to the pier or shop at the pier at Havensight Mall. You might be able to to both if you only want to do some quick shopping. You don't want to wear yourself ragged trying to do everything in one day. Budget your time and make sure that you are on board NO LATER THAN 45 MINUTES BEFORE SAILING. 1 hour is better.
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Forget the trip to St John. Instead of wasting time waiting for ferry, going on ferry and taking another taxi, go to Saphire Bay . The beach is every bit as nice (if not nicer) than anything on St John. While others are getting out of the cab at RedHook, and waiting for a ferry, you will be on the beach.. Snorkel the reef you can see in the water on the right side of the beach when facing the water. Enter in the center of the beach and snorkel the outer edge of the reef. It is easy, colorful and full of fish and yes even has turtle potential.
Spend a few hours on the beach, enjoy a cold one or two. There is an outdoor shower and clean restrooms you can change in. Cab back to town takes about 10 minutes midday, maybe 15.
Go shopping downtown for an hour or two. Head back to the ship, stop and take the tram as long as you leave time to go up, enjoy the view, and come down. Walk back to a ship parked at Havensight is about 5 minutes.
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Admiral

Thanks Papa Bill I think this is a good option for me, since I've never been to eather I can do Saint Thomas this time then Saint John the next, and someday hopefully Virgin Gorda and the Baths. I might take Sonny LIstons tour, he includes 2 hours at the beach of your choice, plus takes you to all the sites, and I hear great reviews of him. From the photos Saphire looks just beautiful can I rent snorkle gear there?
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

The Skyride is right there at the Dock. I have pictures posted of it here on the Interactive Features (look for 4/7/05 or 4/9/05 date with my name of Serenade of the Seas) of the Skyride. It's basically a gondola right to the top, there's a restaurant & gives a good view of the Island with a gift shop. Not much else is there except for the view.

I didn't do St. John, but from what I've heard, its supposed to be a gorgeous island!
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Im going to be in Saint Thomas from 7:30am-5pm I would like to go up in the skyride to Paradise and maybe do an island tour with the ship or local company or a bit of shopping.I also would like to snorkle in Saint John somewhere uncrowded with a good chance I will see animals such as turles, and rays. Will that be enough time to do all that?
Certainly, you can go to both St.John and do the "skyride" in St. Thomas if you plan your time wisely!

Just a suggestion! Take the earliest excursion offered by the ship to St.John (the one that includes snorkeling). This will have about 4 hours. Then, you can do the "skyride". Always do St. John FIRST!

~ WSEA ~
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:08 AM
Admiral

Too late for me to do St. John cause Im already signed up with Sonny Liston tour of St.Thomas, he is so nice that I would feel awful for canceling his tour. I do get 2 hours beach time though so Im going to do Sapphire. St. John will have to wait for my next cruise.
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

showcat, You'll have a great time. Sometimes, all of us are guilty of trying to do TOO much and end-up not enjoying anything!

You won't feel "rushed" and will be able to totally enjoy your time!

~ WSEA ~