Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Default what to do in Belize

Hello,
My husband and I are going to Belize on the Christmas cruise and I was wondering if the cave and jungle tour would be a good one for us to take since my dh does not swim, so we will not be doing the tubing. What else would be interesting to do there?
Please help, I am getting excited about going.
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: what to do in Belize

Beck:

You don't have to swim to do cave tubing. Everyone is offered life jackets in addition to the tube.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Tom Greenwood

Cave Tubing takes many, many non-swimmers, right down to very young children. It is a totally safe tour. Good, safe guides, safety swim gear, etc. Don't miss that tour - called rainforest exploration and cave tubing. But if you do not want to try that, there is the Belize Zoo, the Mayan site at Altun Ha, or a safe snorekling and beach day at Goff's Caye. Try going to the official tourism site at www.travelbelize.org for more information on Belize. And the independent operators on shore are not only cheaper than on-board sales, but excellent as well. Try belizecavetubing.net for some more information. Have a great cruise.
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:58 PM
hcat

what else is there besides this tour or the ruins? Would like to see the natural areas but also keep cool..heard to zoo is not worth it...
Old September 10th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Admiral

There is the Baboon sanctuary where you can hand feed monkeys, I've heard it was nice. I love animals and ecco tours so you might want to look into this if you do as well. As for me I choose Shark Ray Alley, where you snorkle with sting rays and harmless nurse sharks, you also get a life vest so don't need to be a swimmer you have fins which make swimming easy. I did this with a private tour company called Coral Breeze Limited do a web search on them or e mail me and I will send you the link. They are an american owned company run by locals in Belize they offer other tours as well such as a day at the beach on one of the cayes, cave tubbing, Altun Ha etc. I would reccomend them they were very informative and professional also cheaper then the cruise ship tours. I would not do a city tour here yuck, if you want to go to the beach go to one of the cayes or small islands there is no beach on the main land and I'v e heard the city tour was very disspointing,very poor, not a great place to wander on your own so do a tour here for safety. Feel free to e mail me I can be of help.
Old September 27th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

I saw an airboat river tour that looked like a lot of fun and also a horseback jungle tour that looked great - can't wait to go back in December! If you like hot sauce they have same great ones! Debbie
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We just recently did a great snorkeling excursion in Belize. We booked directly with the cruiseline this time, tour operator picked us up right at the ship, so we didn't have to take the long tender ride into town. They took us out to Goffs Caye, about a half hour ride out and we saw the most amazing coral and plenty of fish too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Belize

Donna, Would really like your opinion on this as well since you liked it.

Six of our friend took the Goff's excursion in May with Carnival. They told us that the snorkeling was ok but not what they expected. There is a wonderful reef in Belize but that was NOT where they snorkeled.

Two of the people only went to the beach and were not able to enjoy it because of all of the seagrass -- above the hips on an adult in the water was the seagrass issue and the beach was not clean (general litter & garbage).

They thought this excursion (Goff's) was not so good! Others they met on the ship told them that The Rendezvous Key Catamaran (booked through the ship also) was outstanding.

Any comments would be appreciated because we have only been on that river canal excursion which was fine to do once but want to go to a beach this time. ~ WSEA ~
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

There is a fantastic guide that will take you to the Mayan ruins. His name is Natcho and his wife Cynthia. We took their tour and we had a wonder ful time. They speak very good english and know the island. We also bought local items and not the kind that you would find near the docks.

I would be happy to give you his e mail and phone number if you send me a PM.
Carole
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:41 AM
First Mate

We did the Belize City and Zoo tour and loved it. Got to see a lot of the country that you would otherwise not get to see. Learned a lot and saw some beautiful scenery. Maybe we are in the minority, but we enjoyed the zoo part of the tour (although your not there very long).
Can't Wait Till Mariner of the Seas 6/08
Old October 10th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Passenger

We did the Caye Caulker/ Shark Ray Alley tour with Coral Breeze and loved it! They have an option not to do the snorkeling and just go to the caye, which is a wonderful place to shop and relax.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
Familiar Face

Whatever you do, get out of Belize City. The city is scary and not visitor friendly in the least. Also lots of poverty.

I made the mistake of walking over the bridge in town and down the main thoroughfare. Saw no other tourists. Was followed several times by men asking for money.

However, the countryside is beautiful. Although I am not a fan of the high-cost ship tours, this is one port where I would highly recommend booking a tour and staying out of Belize City.
Old October 24th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Is there places to shop there and buy native items made in belize?
Any suggestions would be appreciate we are going on the scuba diving excursion but I know there will be time before we get back on the ship.
Thanks for any advice
Old October 24th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

HI SG,
If you have the time, you can take the tender to the pier and there are some shops that you can find some native things to take back home. You may be on an excursion where you don't have to get to the pier in town, so if you do decide to take the tender, just remember its a good 20 minute ride each way at least.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Admiral

We went to Belize and had booked the shark ray tour through Coral Breezes. We were emailed detailed instructions to meet the tour in front of the Wet Lizard at 10:00 a.m. Well we got into Belize about 9:10 and decided we'd walk around and check out the shops. Well to make a long story short we got bored and went to the Wet Lizard about 9:30 and had a drink while we waited. At 9:50 we walked out front and were met by Coral Breezes representative Monique Young. She told us that we were late and the tour had left without us. Fortunately I had a printed copy of their emailed instructions with me and I pointed out the time on it was 10:00 a.m. She said that I must have missed the updated email they sent changing the meeting time to 9:00 a.m. I told her that other people on our ship who booked the tour also were under the impression the tour was at 10:00 and it was obviously not our error. I decided no matter what explanation she came up with, I was very uncomfortable doing business with them. D/h and I set out to find a different tour company and I told her that I would be in contact with her boss. Well we then found a young lady named Natalie and she was our tour guide and she took us on a lovely tour of Shark Ray Alley, and took us snorkelling along a nice reef, then to lunch at Caye Caulker (my d/h is still talking about how good the blackened snapper was there) While we were at Shark Ray Alley there was another boat next to us and I recognized our friends from the ship and told them about our experience with Monique and Coral Breezes. They said they had met Monique early in front of the Wet Lizard and she immediately rushed them on to the boat, then after they boarded the boat they even saw us talking to Monique and tried to get the crew to hold the boat for us, and the crew flatly refused. Basically we drew the conclusion that since the Carnival Miracle was there too and they had to be back on their ship an hour earlier than us, they blew us off to accomodate their schedules, rather than actually contacting us and cancelling or modifying the schedule. I have been in contact with the owner of the company in Wisconsin and it is very obvious that he does not have a clue what his people are up to in Belize. Buyer beware. I am still unpacking since we went on another cruise after this one and cannot find Natalies business card yet, but when I do, I'll post the tour company name here.
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:15 AM
First Mate

We took the ship excursion up the River Wallace to the Altum Ha ruins...wonderful.
Karyn
Old December 3rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Familiar Face

Default Belize Lamanai Tour

I booked the Lamanai ruins and New River Tour on NCL Dawn and
loved it.
It was about 1-1/4 hours bus ride through flat but interesting country
north of city with good tour operator explaining things like there are
no big beaches on mainland of Belize.
Then ride up river 22 miles on comfortable fast boat with frequent
stops to look at wildlife - birds, crocodiles, etc. - about another 1 to 1-1/2
hours.
Lunch served at ruins under thatched roof. Very nice site, good
restrooms, museum, etc.
2 hour tour through ruins with highest climb to top of one monument of 33 meters. Tough but worth it. Fantastic view. Also interesting walk
through jungle.
Back to boat, back to bus with shopping at little marketplace setup
where we got the boat, back to ship.

Our guide was Mario who described things as well as driving the river boat. He was really good. Tour was well worth $89.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn
We took the ship excursion up the River Wallace to the Altum Ha ruins...wonderful.
Karyn
hi karyn, i just saw your post and am very interested in this tour myself. can you tell me more about it. i am going to do the ship tours in belize because of the area and the tendering factor. any info about would be great.

my email is smoore3@frontiernet.net if you want to email me. just address it as the '' belize ship tour '''. thanks alot.
Old June 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Passenger

There is also the jungle zipline tour, you can do it by itself or in a combo tour with cave tubing and zipline. Both are awesome, we did the combo but some were just doing one or the other.

Goto http://belizecruiseexcursions.com
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to chosen175
Default land rover tour

we did the land rover expedition in belize on our cruise in april. we got a fannie pack with a bottle of water in it and head lamp and off we went into the jungle. the guide pointed out some plants and whatnot and he was really nice. most of the hiking was uphill and a little strenuous at times. by the time we got to the caves, all of us had soaked through our shirts. we went through 4 caves, and they weren't much cooler than the rainforest. some of the caves literally required you to squat down and scoot sideways or else get on all 4's and crawl to get through them. we were led back to where we started and got our things out of the lockers. we got in land rovers (manual transmission only) and did about 45 minutes of trekking through the rainforest on rutty dirt roads. our guide pointed out lots of cool things and was great to talk to! we had lunch (which we had to pay for) that was really good and got on a speed boat for a 45 minute ride up the river back to belize city. free rum punch and great sights! we were supposed to go back to the ship directly, but when people started complaining about not having time to shop for souvenirs, they took us back to the tourism village instead. i was hot and sweaty and filthy and exhausted by the time we got back on the ship but i have to say, we got some AMAZING pictures and i really don't regret going at all! i'd avoid the tour if you're claustrophobic or can't squat and scoot through a 3 foot opening in the caves but the experience is unlike any i've had in all my life!

-Lisa

Carnival Valor April 2006
Contemplating a cruise wedding in 2010
Old June 30th, 2006, 01:40 AM
First Mate

i am not in shape to do the zip line and the cave tour would be too close quarters for me. but they sound like great tours for those who want and can do them. i am going to stick with the ruins tour and go down the river. it is the tour that is the most interesting for me. thanks for the great suggestions though
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck
Hello,
My husband and I are going to Belize on the Christmas cruise and I was wondering if the cave and jungle tour would be a good one for us to take since my dh does not swim, so we will not be doing the tubing. What else would be interesting to do there?
Good choices - a cruise and to Belize! Lots to do - cave tubing (perfectly safe for children and non-swimmers), Mayan sites, Zoo, snorkeling and beach activity, city tour and beer brewery tour with rainforest, ATVs, river/wildlife tours. Cruiselines sell a variety of these, and they are also available on shore by loads of independent operators. The official Belize Government website is the Belize Tourism Board's www.travelbelize.org where you will pretty much find all about tourism in Belize.
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck
Hello,
Sorry, "Beck",

I forgot to add an independent operators' price list. Cave Tubing is between $53-$65 per person, Altun Ha Maya Site is about $45 per person, and then snorkeling/beach fun, rainforest and beer brewery and equestrian activity will be between $65 and $85. Of course, if you are up to it, there is the Canopy Tour or Zipline at $95. Tighten your belts for that one!! On a cautionary note watch out for the "cheaper" tours - you may get a cheap tour indeed - wham, slam, bam, there and back, with no embellishments, just speed, such as cave tubing tours for $35 to $45 which guests have come to call the "noisy, hooked up together, no real fun" crowded speed tour, smelling the other guys feet under your arms!! So, by all means, if you come ashore looking for a tour, or hook up thru the internet, buy wisely.
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcat
what else is there besides this tour or the ruins? Would like to see the natural areas but also keep cool..heard to zoo is not worth it...
Suggest an air conditioned car/van on the city tour - pretty nice in many places - a reminder of what New Orleans was before Katrina; then a rainforest tour and after that Cucumber Beach and virtual mueseum (the museum is air-conditioned). Man made beach in two protected parts, with beach thatch umbrellas, bars, restaurant, water gadgets, etc. You can see your cruiseship off to the east about 6 miles out from the beach - very reassuring!! ALso a great gift shop especially with the Belizean liquors!!! Come ashore and ask for the locals either inside the tourism village or outside. Bargain for a good rate. Belizeans love a good bargaining session!! :o
Old July 1st, 2006, 09:43 PM
Passenger

Default Caves - Cathderal Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by antron
i am not in shape to do the zip line and the cave tour would be too close quarters for me. but they sound like great tours for those who want and can do them. i am going to stick with the ruins tour and go down the river. it is the tour that is the most interesting for me. thanks for the great suggestions though
Hey "ANTRON" - Just so you are aware, the caves at Caves Branch in Belize (Cave Tubing) are cathederal like - large and with some open spaces where the sun comes in (top broke in long, long ago, and left "open sky" - makes the caves look awesome and actually very, very beautiful). And the ancient Maya people used this cave system extensively in connection with their mythological religion - if you do the tour, select your tour guide/tour operation carefully. Some just "zonk" you thru the caves making as much noises as they can (the cheap tours), and a few highly experienced and trained guides actaually stop regularly and explain interestingly about the various stalactites and stalagmites which honestly, are shaped like people, animals and birds. THAT is the real tour, and one which makes this particular tour in Belize the MOST popular (102,000 guests last year alone) as compared to 60,000 for the Mayan site of ALTUN HA, the next most popular tour. For those of you willing to give it a try, the net has some companies which are very good. Get some advice by posting or e-mailing those who can be contacted. If you need answers, we'll try to fill you in at belizeshorex@yahoo.com 8)
Old July 2nd, 2006, 04:57 AM
First Mate

thanks orion for the great info
Old July 2nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
First Mate

we finally made our choices--will go on an early ship's excursion carriage/tram around the port & then in the afternoon do the ship's snorkel excursions to the atoll--hope we donot encounter any seagrwass or jelly fish We are really looking forward to this port!
Old July 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Captain

We toured the Mayan ruins. They were very impressive.

Have a great time!!