Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Swimming with the Stingrays in Grand Camen

We are thingking about doing the Swim with the Stingrays in the Grand Camen, however one of the people is not a very good swimmer. Would this prove to be a problem for them or is it mainly chest deep water?
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:16 PM
First Mate

Won't be a problem. You are standing on a sandbar. I am 5'5 and I could stand there just fine. I did have to swim from the boat to the sandbar, but it is a very short distance. I am a weak swimmer and had no problems.
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:55 PM
First Mate

Do not worry! The boat will give you a life vest if you want one. I haven't had to swim to the sandbar when we have gone. You will have a marvelous time!

Have a great cruise.

Michelle
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow quick replies!

Thanks for the information.

Happy Cruising!
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did this last year. We had a non-swimmer and a non-swimmer who just had eye surgery with us. Both did it. No problems at all. Water is just waist or a little higher. I'm 5'4". Don't miss it. The water is warm and the sting rays are awesome. They feel like velvet on there bellies. Enjoy
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Admiral

totally agree with the others. You basically hop off the boat onto the sandbar, stand around and the rays swim all around you, its amazing. They will glide by you and brush your legs, feels like a feather tickling you. You can feed and pet them if you wish.
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:42 PM
First Mate

Best excursion we have done so far!! Definitely don't miss it!! They love to rub up against your legs like cats!!!! A lot of fun!
Old September 17th, 2005, 08:20 AM
First Mate

Do not miss it - you can walk in the water - I prefer to float on top with my snorkle mask on and look at them and take pictures. I've been 3 times and I will go again next April on Carnival Valor. Be sure to book the trip that takes you to the singrays and snorkeling - snorkeling is deep but with a vest on - you just float on the top and watch the fish below the surface - be sure to take an underwater camera - buy it at home - cheaper. I can swim but am afraid of deep water - hence the vest!
Old September 17th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Yeoman

Warning-just be sure that when you sign up for the Stingray City that you will be going to the SANDBAR. There are a few places, but most go to the sandbar where the water is shallow. If you wind up at one of the other spots, you will be in 12-15 ft of water (thats where I went since i was scuba diving). There was a previous post about how someone ended up there and was really disappointed. And for any snorkeling trip you do, if the operator is good, then you will be given snorkel vests. Its mainly for safety-you have to wear it so they can see you (I hated wearing them as Im a scuba diver and like to dive under-not easy to do with one of those things, even deflated which you can do). I wouldnt rely on it 100% o keep me afloat if you cant swim though. Ive worked on dive boats and have seen people deflate them, or leaked air.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal