Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Grand Cayman - Carnival Excursions - How much time?

We visit Grand Cayman in November...and were interested in Carnival's Grand Cayman Highlights Tour. Have you been on this one? It mentions the Turtle Farm, Hell and Rum Factory.
My questions:
How much time at each location?
Will I have time to send a postcard from Hell?
Do they stop at each location or is this just a "drive by" tour?

We're not in Grand Cayman that long and really wanted to enjoy the day and Hell is on our wish list (gosh, that sounds odd...)
Appreciate your help!!

* edited for typos!
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Admiral

In my opinion taking the time to go to"Hell" is a huge waste of time and money. Its just a tourist trap, Hell consisits of a tiny post office jam packed with tourist trying to buy postcards just so that they can be postmarked from "Hell".
The turtle farm is very interesting especially if your time is right after a hatching, those little guys are so cute! The big grandaddy turtle is a huge creature.
Haven't been to the rum factory so i can't comment on that.
I would look into an independant island tour over the ships tours on Grand Caymen. You didn't mention any interest in seeing the Sting Rays any reason? Sting Ray City/Sandbar is an amazing excursion.
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Admiral

We've done this tour.

I agree with LisaK about "Hell". It's a very small rock formation that supposedly looks like Hell. We spent less than 15 minutes there. You will have time to send a postcard, but just barely!

We enjoyed the Turtle Farm. There's a guide who will tell you about the turtles and what they are doing to keep them from becoming extinct. You will also have an opportunity to hold a small turtle for pictures (your own). I think that you would be better off to hire a cab to take you to the Turtle Farm and pay the admission price (I believe it's $5.00) than to do the ship's tour for this.

The Rum Cake Factory is just a store that sells Rum Cakes. You can usually buy them on the ship on your last sea day for a discount. IMO, I like my own homemade rum cake better!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014