Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Passenger

Default Montego Bay - What to do?

My husband and I will be traveling to Montego Bay in Feb 06. I have been there before (did the plantation tour and enjoyed that) but I did not like at all how I felt by the constant badgering from the vendors there! (It seemed worse than any other Carribean or Mexican place I had visited)

We are tempted to just make it a "stay on the ship day" (because my husband dislikes it even more than I do)! Anyway, we like to do the out of the way exploring by ourselves when we do venture out, does anyone out there have any suggestions on what to do? (We are not big drinkers, so we wouldn't want to do bars, nor are we interested in the long bus ride to Dunns River Falls)

Thanks for your help, I am sure there are wonderful, out of the way things to do in Jamaica! We just need your help in finding them!
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

2 suggestions:

Canopy Tour (zipline); you can only book this through the ship. It's great fun and not too scary. It departs from and ends at the cruiseship terminal; no stress, no pushy vendors. We went back to the ship as soon as we returned from the tour (didn't want to hassle with shopping; been there/done that!). With transportation, it's about a 4 hour tour.

Sunset Beach (our Plan B---didn't go there but have read many reviews). From the cruiseship terminal it's a 5 minute, $5 taxi ride over to the resort. It's $30 for the day (used to be $20, but I read a recent post that, with the addition of a waterpark, the admission has been raised to $30). Food and drink is included in the price, as well as some water toys and the water park. There are 3 different beaches (one nude beach, with a guard who makes sure everyone who enters is nude!). From what I've heard, it's a great place for a relaxing day. The resort only allows it's guests and cruiseship day use guests to be there, so you don't have to worry about any pushy vendors.

If you "google" canopy tour and Sunset Beach Resort, you should be able to find pictures and more information.
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just read another recent review of Sunset Beach and the price has now increased to $40! Many people are now rethinking their plans and are heading over to Dr. Cave Beach---private beach; admission, chairs, umbrellas, snorkels are all about $5 each --- that place can add up too if you're not careful. Not sure about the food/drink situation at Dr. Cave's.
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Passenger

My wife & I will be in Montego Bay also in February.
Our plan is to visit Sunset Beach.
Never been there, I just hope the reviews are accurate.
Old October 19th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Re: Sunset Beach. Somebody just posted that the price is now $45! You may want to contact them before your cruise to find out what the price is by then. It's getting out of range for families now.