Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Beginner

Default help first time cruiser

first time cruser. help me doing carnival in april 2006. what should i do in the ports i am stopping in. san juan st martin st thomas
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Suzie - so much depends upon what you want to do, what your likes and dislikes are. A great place to start looking is at the cruise lines excursions, see what they have to offer and then narrow it down from there.
Suggestions:
San Juan (daytime) : walk around Old San Juan& Ft. El Morro
take a tour up into the rainforest
hit the beach
St. Thomas: hit the beaches - gorgeous, do some snorkeling, many
beaches to choose from.-www.vinow.com
shop, shop, shop - either downtown or at Havensight Mall
at the pier
Paradise Point Tramway - a short walk from the pier if you
docked at Havensight. Great view of the harbor
hire a cab for a few hours and just tour the island
St. Maarten : hit the beaches - beautiful beaches
snorkeling - book a ships tour to Pineal Island
great fun tour: America's Cup Regatta
Golden Eagle Catamaran Sail
shop, shop, shop- great shopping port, less pressure than
St. Thomas.
hire a cab for a few hours and tour the island
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:53 AM
Captain

the frist time we went to st thomas we took the altantis adventures submarine here is a website altantiesadventures.com next year we will
be going back st thomas we will be going to the st thomas skyride to
paradise point and the website to that is paradisepintramway.com i hope this helps you
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:18 PM
Beginner

See that is it, I am not sure what I want to do. I guess just lay on the beach and soak up the sun. This is my first cruise and I just want to enjoy this. I am going with a group of people, but most of them are couples. So I dont want to be a third wheel with anyone. I want a fun time and keep the cost down. I enjoy shopping and the beach. I have heard that is something i can do alot of on a cruise. Does each port have something special to offer(shopping). I know I am talking in circles, but i am so excited and just dont know what questions to ask. Thank you for your replys

SAILING SUZIE
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:21 PM
First Mate

Suzie, I would check out the websites that Lisa gave you. She also had a lot of good ideas. You can also check out cruisecritic.com on their boards and then ports of call. You can find a lot of good info there.

The only beach in St. Maarten that I would suggest isn't that great is the one right down town. We love Dawn Beach there. You can also go to Orient Beach for a taste of Europe. Take a tour with a local cab driver, there are a lot of them taking groups on tours right from the end of the pier.

Have fun!

Michelle
Old November 3rd, 2005, 10:08 AM
Admiral

hi again Suzie, choosing shore excursions can be overwhelming, you have so many choices. Another good place to look for port information is www.Frommers.com and www.Fodors.com.
Start at the cruise lines web site see what they have to offer, find something that is hmmm that sounds interesting. Try something new. If you want to snorkel or try it for the first time, St. Thomas or St. Maarten are great places.
St. Thomas and St. Maarten are your shopping ports. We like to hit the beach in the morning, go back to the ship, drop off our beach stuff, grab a bite to eat, change clothes and then hit the shops.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Suzie,

For lots of information about the ports in the Caribbean, click on this link:

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com

There's plenty of info and photos there. I hope it's of some help. Have a great cruise, and enjoy the ports of call too.

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old December 4th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing suzie
See that is it, I am not sure what I want to do. I guess just lay on the beach and soak up the sun. This is my first cruise and I just want to enjoy this. I am going with a group of people, but most of them are couples. So I dont want to be a third wheel with anyone. I want a fun time and keep the cost down. I enjoy shopping and the beach. I have heard that is something i can do alot of on a cruise. Does each port have something special to offer(shopping). I know I am talking in circles, but i am so excited and just dont know what questions to ask. Thank you for your replys

SAILING SUZIE
Suzie,
Take a catamarran ride. Even if you don't snorkel you will enjoy the catamarran and can do some sunning. I'm sure you won't feel like a third wheel. You will enjoy this.
Old December 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Beginner

Last year in St Thomas by advise here on cruisemates we emailed and book with Gofreytours. He has a new tran truck and picks you up at the ship. Other will go. About 20. he will take you to the center of town shopping from 10-1200 then pick you back up and take you on a tour of the country side, it was great. After that he took us to a private beach, bar and lunch at our cost and back to the ship by 4. $20 all day never talked or took anything until then end.