Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:02 PM
Familiar Face

Default Dominican Republic: La Romana and Cayo Levantado

Hello--

Our group will be on MSC's Lirica on Dec 10. We have two separate port stops in the Dominican Republic. One in La Romana and the other on Cayo Levantado. We will be in La Romana until 11pm.

What is there to do in each port?

Our group likes very minor sight-seeing, but mostly enjoy to spend hours on a nice stretch of beach that is close to drinks and food.

Can anyone recommend the best beach in each stop?

Also, since we'll be in La Romana until 11pm, where is the best spot to go for nightlife.

Thanks for your replies.
Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Familiar Face

-Bump-

Leaving three weeks from this Saturday. Still very uncertain what to do at our two Dominican Republic ports.

I am now hearing from another poster that La Romana is unsafe and that the water is unsafe to drink. Is this true?

Any help or info on either ports would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Hi...We are off to a resort in LaRomana... you can if they offer it go to a local beach.. at the Sunscape Casa del Mar...we have seen cruisers come in.. You can hire a cab from the men in green and go into La Romana.. walk around and go to the fleA market, the clean and huge supermarket to buy Santo domingo Coffee beans to bring him, 1515 proof rum and pure vanilla.. We usually buy an ice cream and hang around the Zolca (park).. In Casa de Campo at night and I highly recomend this is the Kandella show.. a L.V. type show in the famlous stone amphitheatre ending with fireworks at night.. You do not drink the water....and as being unsafe..the resorts and ports are far from busy areas..and I definetely wouldn't rent a car..that is a definite no-no.. As for LA ROMANA just watch yourself (the city).. As for the other port I know nothing about it... Casa de Campo is a very famous resort with if your a golfer the Leg of the Dog.. Also there are many artisans shops..my favorite if Batrys..with hand appliqued clothes made by local women.
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Searched Cayo Levantado and it seems it's north of La Romana and one of the things you might like is the whale watching... it's considered a beautiful area of Samana..
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Cayo Levantado is a small, beautiful island. Full of paved paths that wind through the tropical foliage and resort cottages My d/h and I honeymooned at the Grand Bahia Resort which is a short ferry ride (free) away in Samana. It is possible it has changed dramatically since we were there over 8 and a half years ago. Back then the only way to get there was a crazy thrill filled 3 hour jeep ride through the hills and valleys of the Dominican Republic from Puerta Plata. I understand that now they have an airport nearby. The Gran Bahia was very nice (I first heard about it on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous a long time ago) You may want to contact the resort to see what sorts of facilities they have these days and if they offer day passes. Also we did some great scuba diving there which was arranged for us by the resort. We finished up our scuba adventure with a wonder lobster dinner cooked for us at the beach by some lovely local folks for $10 each including El Presidente Beer (which is actually pretty good.) I hope you enjoy your time there as much as we did!