Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:07 PM
Beginner

Default Norwegian Jewel Dec 3rd out of Miami

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise on the Jewel to San Juan, St. John, St. Thomas and the Bahamas!

Any body else aboard? Any excursions that are good on NCL?

What recommendations for things to do afloat & or in port?
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2005, 01:32 PM
Admiral

You have so many options. I would start by looking at the cruise lines excursions to get a feel for what is available. So much also depends upon what you want to do.
San Juan (daytime), El Yungee Rainforest, walking around Old San Juan, Fort El Morro, hit the beaches.
St. Thomas/St. John - some of most beautiful beaches and good snorkeling on these two islands, white sand, turquoise waters. Go to www.vinow.com for some very good information. You will dock in St. Thomas. If you want to get to St. John you need to take the ferry. Really good shopping in St. Thomas.
You can also hire a cab for a couple of hours and just tour the island. Take a short walk from the pier to the Paradise Point Tramway - what a spectacular view of the harbor from the point.
what ports in the Bahamas?
another great resource is www.Frommers.com or www.Fodors.com- very informative guides.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:42 PM
Admiral

First of all, Cruzan Lady, I would advise you not to go to the pier in Miami on December 3rd if your cruise is in December 2005. That's because your ship won't be there until the next day, December 4th. I know because we will be getting off the Jewel just a couple of hours before you board, when we return from our Western Caribbean cruise.

Also, it's not St. John where your ship will be stopping. It's St. John's, Antigua. As LisaK pointed out, "St. John" is in the U.S. Virgin Islands (near St. Thomas). Of course, you will have the opportunity to visit both St. John and St. John's if you choose to do so.

Actually, we will be on the Jewel again in January 2006, when we will be cruising to the Eastern Carib. like you. As for Antigua, I suggest you check out Lawrence of Antigua (no joke) if you're looking for a comprehensive and inexpensive tour. We've already booked with Lawrence ourselves. He offers a 3-hour tour for only US$30 per person. Check it out at this link:

http://www.lawrenceofantigua.com

I hope you have a great cruise, and remember...it's December 4th!

Jack
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old November 7th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Default NCL Jewel 12/4/05

Cruzan Lady: My husband and I are also on this cruise. Isn't it exciting??

We have a rollcall for people going on this cruise where we have posted messages to each other. We plan to meet on the ship in the Star Bar on 12/5 at 10 am. Join our rollcall. It's located at

http:boards.cruisecritic.com

Look for rollcall section and then NCL section and then search for Jewel 12/4/05.

I'm registered as grandpp on that board and just posted a message today.

When you get onboard they will schedule a presentation (probably in the theater on Monday) where they will have more information about the ports and ship's tours. A lot of people take private tours or just take a taxi to a beach. It's up to you. My husband likes to use the ship's tours so you don't have to worry about booking transportation and getting back on time, etc.

Theresa