CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Aruba beaches (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/304903-aruba-beaches.html)

lysolqn December 5th, 2005 04:27 PM

Aruba beaches

Have visited Aruba many times on different cruises but never made it to the beach. Which is the best beach to visit for a few hours while in port - also, which beach is closest to the pier? Thanks!

alison1170 December 7th, 2005 10:53 AM

I thought I replied to this but guess it didnt go through. Im interested in this as well. We are on RCI Brilliance leaving on the 23rd. Ive been doing research on beaches in Aruba. It all depends on what you want. Baby Beach has gotten good reviews-if you have small kids since its shallow. Only thing is that it doesnt look like there are facilities, shade, and its 40 mins away. Boca Catalina got good reviews for snorkeling but again, no facilities around. It looks like the closest ones to the pier are Palm and Eagle beaches. They are in front of the hotels so you can find food, bathrooms, and other goods close by. They claim they have decent snorkeling too. Another thing, Santa Claus at the mall mentioned that any beach you go to you will be sand blasted due to the trade winds. Hes been several times and said the best thing to do is rent a jeep and go off on your own. He said the opposite side of the island is beautiful-all the natural sites, a little church on top of a hill, etc. It looks like theres a little tidal pool you can swim in, but can only get there by jeep. That side of the island has some wicked currents, etc so swimming is not a good idea from what Ive read.

Ive been trying to contact De Palm Island about going there as it has a lot to offer. I tried to sign up through the ship, but they wont let me sign up my 5 mos old daughter (min age is 2). I may just sign up and leave her off, then tell them when we get there since they dont bother to respond to messages.

alison

dawnarama December 8th, 2005 08:12 PM

The beaches are really nice. Two of the top rated ones in Aruba are Palm and Eagle. I've stayed at the Marriott on Palm twice. On my upcoming cruise (2 weeks from Saturday!) plan to go to Eagle. Eagle is closer to port. There's a more remote beach - Baby Beach - that's a calm inlet. I recall facilities are minimal. At Eagle or Palm you'll have lots of facilities and places to eat. Aruba water is warm, calm and there's always a breeze. Up near Palm you can windsurf if so inclined.

cscsexy December 30th, 2005 08:42 PM

palm beach is the best!!

:D hello just returned from carnival destiny november 13th and aruba was one of it's stops. We got advice to go to palm beach that resides off the hyatt hotel. let me tell you it was absolutely gorgeous. we walked to a few shops and and took the bus for like a dollar or two. it only took us about 10 minutes to get there and drops you right in front and picks you up in front. they do have a whole strip of beaches closer to the ship but they are not as beautiful as palm beach.

ema13 January 12th, 2006 11:36 AM

Aruba Beaches

I like Eagle Bech at la Cabana bettert han palm Bech at the High rises.
www.aruba.com has a great message board.

cruzn buckeye January 29th, 2006 07:33 AM

We have been to the beach in Aruba three times. Two times were in front of the low rise hotels....winds were terrible...sand was in and on everything. It actually hurt your face...
The other time we went to the beach in the high-rise area in front of the Wyndham...no sand blasting...perfect white sand and the most beautiful blue water that I have ever seen! There were people nearby renting chairs and also a small store to buy drinks ( even small bottles of white zin) and snacks!

kohnheads5 February 4th, 2006 05:30 PM

Carnival Destiny

Hello...........3 more weeks and we are on our way to the Southern Carribbean! :-P Anyone been on this cruise? What did you do while in Dominica and Barbados?? Is the bus in Aruba to Palm beach close to the pier?

pcboston February 5th, 2006 09:16 AM

Bus station is pretty close to the pier, down by the shops and vendors. I've been to Aruba twice....the first time, I took the bus to Eagle Beach near the low rise hotels and had the same experience as Buckeye. It is a really nice beach, but the winds were so bad at that time, that you did get sand blasted constantly so I didn't stay long. Not sure if its like that all the time, that cruise was in June. Was there in 2004, took a bus tour of the island and then got dropped off at Palm Beach near the high rise hotels. That was a much better beach, I thought. Coming back to town, we took a shuttle van for $1pp. We were waiting for the bus and I guess these vans go back and forth all day too, so that worked out well. Happy sails....