Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Passenger

Default Need snorkel advice for the W. Caribbean??

In Feb we will be on a W. Caribbean cruise on the Grand Princess. Most of the shore excursions we reserved provide snorkel equipment. I would like to do a lot of snorkeling but am reluctant to use equipment used by hundreds of others. I think I want to buy a dry snorkel and mask that fit, but don't know if I want to lug around the fins as well. Can you bring your own mask and snorkel then use their fins??

Thanks
KMK
Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

If the equipment is included in the price you should be able to use any or all of it. We always travel with our own snorkle and masks and use fins as necessary.

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old December 11th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Yeoman

I"m not sure who you booked with but we booked with Captain Marvins in Grand Cayman. They soak all their masks in a cleaning solution. You are the one to pull it out. I felt safe with their equipment. You can also bring your own cleaner.
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Yeoman

If you can, buy your own stuff. Not only will you know its clean, but it will fit you. If you do a lot of snorkeling, I would go to your local dive shop (if you have one) and try on several masks. Do the mask test (they should tell you about it)-take the mask and put it on your face, but dont put the strap around your head. Slowly and gently inhale and let go of the mask, it should stick to your face as you inhale. You will be able to feel any air leaking in, which means water will to and its not a good fit. Also take a look around wearing the mask- you will want to see out the sides, down, etc without turning your head a lot.

As for snorkels and fins, there are many styles to choose from, and a good dive shop will have a good selection. Also keep in mind, if you think you might want to become a certified scuba diver down the road, spend the money now on good equipment since these items are the basics. If by chance you are stopping in Key West, check out the big dive shop (think its Divers Direct) just down the side street from Sloppy Joes. They sell good equipment. You can find stuff on their website, and they do have a catalog.

In Cayman, if you want to do more snorkeling on your own-when you get off the tender, walk to the end of the street and take a right. Go past the yellow submarine along the shore and there is a rocky area and a little bar/dive shop. I wish I could remember the name of the place (something Gardens????). The snorkeling used to be really good there (before the hurricane). Its not a place to lounge on a beach as its rocky (you walk down steps between rocks).

alison (PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor-alumni)
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Admiral

you have a couple of options if you don't want to use the gear provided by the tour company. You can rent snorkel gear on the ship, for the week,you have the same gear all week, our friends did this and it worked out very well for them. If you plan on doing a lot of snorkeling in the future, make the purchase at home. We bring our own gear. We do not bring fins because they are so big and bulky, we rent fins.
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Passenger

We bring ALL of our own equipment; mask, snorkel, fins, and vest. My wife only snorkels but I snorkel and scuba dive. We bought only quality equipment at our local dive shop.

Most people here say they don't want to use a snorkel that's been in someone else's mouth and they're concerned about sanitation. Would you stick your bare feet into someone else's shoes? That's what you do when you use fins that soemone else has worn.

In addition, fin fit is as important as mask fit. I once used rental gear and had a poor fin fit. The fins wore off all the skin on the tops of both feet. For the rest of the cruise I had a hard time wearing shoes, let alone put my feet back into saltwater for more snorkeling. I also read a recent post on another board where a poor fit developed blisters on the snorkeler's feet.

We use a rolling duffle bag as part of our luggage. In it goes all of my scuba gear and our snorkeling gear. For use on an excursion, we have a mesh bag that we take and put in only that gear that we'll use for the day.
Old December 14th, 2005, 10:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
you have a couple of options if you don't want to use the gear provided by the tour company. You can rent snorkel gear on the ship, for the week,you have the same gear all week, our friends did this and it worked out very well for them. If you plan on doing a lot of snorkeling in the future, make the purchase at home. We bring our own gear. We do not bring fins because they are so big and bulky, we rent fins.
Just an FYI, not all ships rent out snorkel equipment for the week.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100