Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to momrek06
Default CALICA, MEXICO

HELLO ALL: Just found out DH & I are being re-routed from Cozumel to Calica, Mexico. We leave Miami on the Carnival FASCINATION 01/30/06. Cozumel has been hit hard by Hurricane Wilma so the new destination is Calica. ANYBODY out there been to Calica? I would love to hear from you! Excursions? momrek06
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Admiral

When we went to Calica we spent the day getting spoiled at the Omni Resort at Puerto Aventuras. It was very nice. You can rent snorkel equipment, or just explore their beautiful beaches, shop their quaint boutiques, check out their dolphin adventure. Or have some cocktails and sit in the sun.
Old December 17th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Xcaret not far from the port of Calica is a eco resort that is quite fabulous (though I don't know if suffered hurricane damage). We were there several years ago, and I'd LOVE to go back.
Old December 25th, 2005, 09:20 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I was there in October the week before Rita hit.Went to Xcaret for the day,and it was nice.They were just finishing up planting back all the plants(from the last hurricane),and Im sure they probably lost a lot more.Some parts were closed. Im not sure,but I think I read the dolphin area was destroyed.The lagoon/beach area was nice.They are a great buffet restaurant there.

Others said there is a nice beach area there too..Dot
Old December 31st, 2005, 03:31 AM
Beginner

I LOVE the Mayan Riveria.. i've vacationed there 3 times and i went on a cruise that ported at Calica once too. usually the cabs lined up at port will take you to Playa De Carmen.. they have some great shops there for tourists and also a nice beach with jet skis, parasailing and lots of restaurants. if you want something more remote, i would make my way to playa de carmen but then hop on a "bus" which is actually a passenger van and for 2 dollars ask them to drop you off at Akumal Beach or Yal-Ku Lagoon... it is seriously one of the most gorgeous beaches and you can snorkel there and see turtles and lots of fish! Akumal is known for their turtles. The ride is about 40 mins but well worth it and at only 2 dollars for bus fare, can't get any better... there is also a town in akumal so you can grab food and facilities there. If you would like to see mayan ruins, forget the excursions they offer... once again go to playa de carmen, hop on a bus and ask them to drop you off at Tulum. the fee is about 7 dollars or so to get in to see the Mayan Ruins... wear sneakers and it gets pretty hot but the view off the cliff is breath taking! there is also a small beach with great waves to cool off in as well.

have fun!
Old December 31st, 2005, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Make sure that you book a tour or something before you dock. Don't expect to get off the ship and just walk to nearby sites. There are none! Calica is a big gravel pit. We docked there and thought we would wing it but once we got off the ship we realized that we were stuck for the day and wished that we would have booked a tour or something, instead we spent a few hours trying to teach a dock worker english. We had fun but would have rather enjoyed the beach.
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Beginner

Did you do this on your own or did you do it as a ship excursion.
Was it arranged before hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
When we went to Calica we spent the day getting spoiled at the Omni Resort at Puerto Aventuras. It was very nice. You can rent snorkel equipment, or just explore their beautiful beaches, shop their quaint boutiques, check out their dolphin adventure. Or have some cocktails and sit in the sun.
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Xcaret is definitely worth the visit. When we cruised, there was a shuttle that took you back and forth throughout the day. As the others have said, the "pier" is nothing more than a gravel pit. You really need to have your plans made before stepping off the ship.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Shadow8 I had read about it on a bulletin board somewhere, I also emailed the resort prior to our cruise just to verify information and they said you were very welcome to come and use their facilities. There is no charge just go and enjoy. All they really expect is for you to have a few drinks and eat a bite while you're there. I have to say the waiters there will wait on you hand and foot at the beachside bar.
Also, I just checked trip advisor and they are completely recovered from the hurricane damage and are getting glowing reviews.
If you like to scuba dive, the dive shop takes divers out twice a day and when you rent snorkel gear they usually offer a free locker for you to use if they have extras available. I really loved this place and look forward to returning again
Old January 25th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the info. I went to their website and it looks wonderful.

How far is this from Calica. Is it closer than Playa Del Carmen?

Did you take a taxi there? If so, what did it cost?
Were they familar with the location of the hotel?

When you got there did you have to go thru the hotel to get to
the beach or pool area?
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Yes it is close, only about 10-15 minute cab ride. You just walk right through the lobby and out to the pool/beach area. As I recall I think the cab ride was like $10. When you get off the ship go down to the taxi stand at the far end of the shopping area (do not allow yourself to be shanghai'ed by some of the timeshare vultures masquerading as cab drivers, only go with a driver assigned to you by the taxi stand) Tell them you would like to go to the Omni at Puerto Aventuras and they will give you a slip to hand to the driver with your destination written on it. Have a great time.
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:24 AM
Beginner

Been to Calica with Carnival Cruise. here you can explore the mexican riviera...lots of taxi lined up to take you to places at the cruise port. My suggestion: take taxi on your own to Xel-Ha, a beautiful natural acquarium, with lots fish. It about 30 minutes by taxi and they drop you off at the entrance of the park. Buy the all-inclusive ticket to the park, I think it was $50ish that include food at any of their 5 restaurant on site. Our favorite was mexican, include drink, ice cream, snack any at anywhere in the park just show them your all-inclusive bracelet. And it include towels, lockers, snorkeling equipments. There are plenty of chairs and palapas to sit. Snorkeling, swim toward the open ocean, will see lots fish or go edges near rocks, plenty of fish. If that fail, feed them near the briges and they go in feeding frenzy. or head to ocean and there is beach for swimming. or explore the cave or jump in the floating river.
Xel-Ha is an allday event. Skip the tour sell by cruise ship with Tulum, you won't have enough time to do Xel-ha and see everthing there.
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Beginner

Calica is a Carnival only port across from Cozumel. You can see Cozumel from there. There's a ferry to Cozumel. You can go the the Mayan Tulum ruins, which I recommend, but not the "shopping" part of the tour. Or just go to Sr. Frogs.
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Passenger

Default Calica Playa del Carmen

There are excellent tour options from Playa and Calica- go to Playa and Calica tours the catamaran snorkeling tour was incredible!!!! Its called the Fat Cat:-) Takse you snorkeling, then to a private beach and included all of our drink, great day!