Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Beginner

Default Pregnant traveler need advise

I'll be going on a cruise at the end of February on the Carnival Conquest. I'll be 5 months pregnant then, a single traveler and need some advise on what to expect and do on the cruise and destinations (cozumel, montego bay, grand cayman). If you've traveled being pregnant or know of someone I'd love to hear your story so I can determine whether or not to continue with the cruise. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Admiral

the first thing you need to do is to check with your doctor, then with the cruise line, they do not allow pregnant women to sail past a certain month in their pregnancy.
Aside from that and depending upon your health about the only thing that i would advise against is climbing Dunns River Falls in Jamaica. If you want to see the falls, there is a staircase alongside.
I would definately book ships excursions. You can swim with the rays in Grand Caymen, or just hit the beach
Cozumel, depending upon how the post-hurrican re-building has progressed, most of the beachs will be up and running, you might want to check out Channunkaab Park - relax on the beach, there is an aquarium, small replica of the ruins, tropical garden, nice place to spend the day.
Jamaica - take an island tour that stops at the falls and Fern Gully.
Old January 4th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Passenger

I traveled when I was 20 weeks pregnant September 2004. I had to have a note from my physician to be able to travel. I thought I might get sea sick but did not, it actually was very soothing. I felt better the whole time I was at sea then I did the rest of the pregnancy. One of the few things I might suggest is don't eat TOO much fish due to the fact you do not know where the fish is coming from and it might be high in mercury count (bad for the baby). Also you might want to watch what public places you attend if you are concerned with 2nd hand smoke. Other than that have a blast.
8/02 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Yeoman

I was 2-3 mos pregnant last New Years cruise. I took along a copy of my ob records. I will say that I felt the movement of the ocean a lot more, and even more so once I got back home (I dont get sea sick, and we had some rough days, but it hit me a bit). Check with your dr if motion sickness meds are ok.

You will want to stay out of the sun as much as possible, and wear sunscreen. You wont want to get the mask of pregnancy! Drink lots of water, stay away from alcohol and caffeine. Also be sure if you do any excursions there are bathrooms readily available. You should be over any morning sickness by then, but still watch out for spicey, greasey, etc type foods. Also avoid the sushi bar, tuna, large fish as they can harm your baby. Definetly avoid any water, ice or drinks with these in Mexico, and if youre going to eat fruit there, be sure its still in its peel and you wash it off.

As long as your dr says its ok, then I would still go ahead with your trip. Be sure to take it easy and not to overdo things. Think of it as your last hurrah and chance to really relax before your world changes! Congrats and best of luck to you and your baby!

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old February 21st, 2006, 03:56 AM
Beginner

If you do find that you get sea sick and don't want to take meds for it, pickled ginger works wonders! We had some pretty rough seas when I crusied to the Panama Canal last march, and eating some ginger worked almost instantly to calm my stomach. If your ship has a sushi bar, take along some small ziplock bags so that you can keep a fresh supply with you. If it doesn't, you might want to look into taking some with you.