CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Grand cayman help needed (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/305973-grand-cayman-help-needed.html)

mdlaverman December 31st, 2005 10:43 PM

Grand cayman help needed

We are looking for info about snorkeling off of the beachs in the caymans
Does anybody have some spots that they liked or would recommend
Thanks Marlin

Archie January 1st, 2006 03:51 AM

I dont know about right off the beaches but I do know that I have gone through SotosCruises and went on a snorkling / stingray city excursion that was wonderful all for I think $24. Many people also recomend Captain Marvin for a similar excursion.

mdlaverman January 1st, 2006 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info
We have done captin marv's

Jiffymom January 3rd, 2006 07:38 PM

Just curious. Did you rent a car. What side do they drive on :)
Have only been to 7 mile beach and yes it is brautiful but thought it might be fun to explore on our own. Have you seen other nice beaches and can you get there not on a tour?

DalTX January 4th, 2006 01:09 AM

Make sure that if you go with Capt Marvin that his crew does a count! Ive heard his excursion is great,but I also read a posting where they didnt do a count a left someone behind.Another boat had to pick this person up and take them back to shore!

xvshanvxl January 5th, 2006 12:01 AM

They drive on the left. I did a lot of snorkeling on east end around The Reef resort. It was pleasant. Lots of fish. We were staying at the Reef so it was a Cruise thing. There's a public park at Rum Point but I didn't snorkel there so I couldn't tell you about the snorkeling but it was a nice atmosphere.

LisaK January 5th, 2006 03:02 PM

there is some pretty good snorkeling right near the pier at Eden's Rock, its not a beach

shm January 10th, 2006 05:36 PM

stingray city is great!!!! and you get to snorkle..

pijod January 11th, 2006 06:54 PM

Cemetery Reef is the best reef on Seven Mile Beach. It is approx. 100 yards offshore but it is amazing. If the water is calm, which it usually is, it is a very tame swim out. Any cabbie can drop you at the Cemetery. No facilities so bring some water. But you will be almost all alone. There was a mention of Eden Rock which is also a great reef and right at the shore. You access by a ladder built in the rocks but NO beach there. You swim right off the rock which is called ironshore. Snorkelers get to watch tank divers below them. Pretty cool. The best adventure and not to be missed is Stingray city. Can't say enough about that excursion. We went when there were no cruise ships in. Felt like we were all alone. www.caymanport.com to find out days of less cruise ship travel. Usually only Sundays when no ships in port.

156 days aboard ships and counting. Next milestone.....one half year at sea.

arb18 January 16th, 2006 03:25 AM

I found the best place to snorkel is right next to the place you tender. If you are at the tendering place go to the right there is a small shacky kind of restaurant that also rents snorkel gear...just walk down the rocky steps...wear water shoes as this is not a beach and enjoy the fish are wonderful!

drew sailbum January 26th, 2006 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiffymom
Just curious. Did you rent a car. What side do they drive on :)

We drive on the left. What side were you planning to drive on? :D

Snorkelling from a beach is often a bit dicey. All that sand that we love as a beach tends to smother the coral when the sand gets tossed around by the waves. Some of the better spots will therefore have no sand beach.

A short walk north from the tender docks is a bar called Hammerheads. The wreck of the Cali is just offshore which is a great habitat for fish life.