Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default St. Thomas and St. Marteen experience

We are heading to the Eastern Caribbean this coming April (actually in 92 days but who is counting).

We are stopping in Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Marteen on the Carnival Valor.

Would love to hear from anyone who has visited and look forward to your suggestions on what to see and do.

We have a total of 4 families traveling. The kids range in age from 11 to 18.

Thank you to everyone for their help.

Safe sailing.

Chefkel22

Valor - 4/06
Celebration - 4/05
Sensation - 4/04

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Admiral

I did this last Feb. I loved the Eastern. We booked our own tour for St. Thomas. I might say if you want a tour of the island and some shopping and beach time, try Godfrey, he is GREAT. It was only $20 each and well worth it. We booked it ourselves. If you want I will give you his web sight. He picks you up right where the ship is. Have a great time.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Alot depends upon what you want to see and do.
Nassau - definatley take the group over to Paradise Island to Atlantis Resort - take the tour of the aquarium/dig. It is fasinating. The cost is $25.00 per person but worth every penny. Just grab a taxi - either water or land at the pier.

St. Thomas - hit the beaches, do some snorkeling, do some shopping, hire a local for an island tour. My top pick for a beach on St. Thomas proper would be Sapphire Beach - beautiful with good snorkeling. Meagan's Bay Beach is the most popular - but it gets very crowded,touristy and there is no snorkeling there. If you want to take the time and make an effort- take the ferry over to St. John Island - it is beautiful- beautiful beaches with great snorkeling. - check out this link- www.vinow.com. Trunk Bay is the most popular - there again gets very crowded with all the cruise ship passengers.- do it on your own, don't book a ships tour- a ships tour to St. John really limits your beach time.
Try to budget about an hour at the end of your day to take the Paradise Point Tramway - its a short walk from the pier, the view of the harbor from the summit is breathaking. You can shop at either Havensight Mall at the pier or in downtown Charlotte Amalie - we prefer downtown -more choices and more local vendors.

St. Maarten - beautiful beaches, snorkeling, shopping. You can hire a cab for a few hours to take an island tour.
One of our favorite things to do in St. Maarten is the Golden Eagle Catamaran sail - you can only book this thru the cruise line. Its a great tour for all ages, you sail on this beautiful cat - sail up the coast which is gorgeous, you sail over to a small island where you can swim, snorkel, relax on the beach, or just go for a walk. The boat provides lunch and drinks(alcohol & non).
If you just want some beach time then head over to Orient Bay Beach by taxi - this is a great beach - one section is clothing optional - it is clearly marked and at the end of the beach. Being that Orient Bay is on the french side of the island it is a topless beach. Looking for something more family friendly then head over to Dawn Beach.
If you want to do some shopping you have two choices- the french or dutch sides of the island. The french side has more "high-end" designer items as opposed to the Dutch side which i think has better jewlery, linen, fragrance and cosmetic bargains- better than St. Thomas -imo.
Hope this helped and didn't confuse. A great place to start looking is at the ships excursions, this will give you a general idea of whats available.
Then you should check out Frommers or Fodor's travel guides - either online or at the library - they are full of great information.
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Hi -- we are going to the same islands in April but with Carnival. I have been to all but St. Maarten. In Nassau, we are going over to Atlantis and the Dig and in St. Maarteen, my husband and daughter are going horsebackriding in the ocean and I am going on the Golden Eagle Cat. Not sure what we are going to do in St. Thomas yet -- to many choices!! We don't shop to much as we usually just buy a shirt or something on the ship. Whatever you do, you will have fun!
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Hi..this is for Carol B...I would love to have Godfrey in St Thomas web site..we will be in St Thomas on Feb 26 and want to shop, beach and I guess we will have to do the tram since it's the first time there....Thanks!
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Beginner

Hello, we cruised Valor July 05 and loved it!! Here are my recommendations.

In Nassau, don't do the Blue Lagoon. It is not near as pretty as we expected. The beach is rocky, really crowded, and the snorkeling was poor. When we were there, they ran out of all beverages and ice.

In St. Thomas, we transferred to St. John for snorkeling. It was really wonderful. The ride over, about 45 minutes each way, got bumpy so take a motion sickness pill before you go. I did and I was fine but several people were sick.

St. Martin was our favorite. We wend to Divi Little Bay resort. It was so relaxing. You can swim, ride jet skis (for a fee), boogie board, ect. The resort catered to the valor passengers and even provided a BBQ lunch that was great. Get on one of the first busses over so you can get your pick of places on the beach. My only complaint is that people were coming up to us trying to sell us stuff.

Have fun and enjoy Valor, we loved her!!