CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Best Caribbean itinerary in Jan/Feb?? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/308365-best-caribbean-itinerary-jan-feb.html)

CruiserKaren February 5th, 2006 07:44 AM

Best Caribbean itinerary in Jan/Feb??

Our family is planning a Caribbean cruise in late Jan/eary Feb 2007. Can anyone tell me which would be the best route for winter weather? Eastern, Western, Southern?

Kuki February 5th, 2006 12:36 PM

The weather, though unpredictable 100% of the time, should be very good no matter which caribbean itin you choose.

Karyn February 10th, 2006 12:44 AM

Hey..we are going on the Valor on the 21st of Jan '07. Would welcome you. Already have a group that has met on the boards and is chatting...I have done the Valor western before and the ports offer alot of variety. I am hearing rumors of Cozumel being replace by Costa Maya...and with another hurricane season to get through.....best bet might be to just close your eyes and pick one. I have not been eastern so cant advise you there.
Ports depend...what are your interests?
Karyn

Jacqueline February 10th, 2006 06:57 AM

I did Western twice now in January/february and both times rain in Costa Maya and at see.

If you really want sun all the time, with maybe rain for 10 minutes, the Southers itin is advisable.

Good luck and happy sailing regardless which itin you book !!!

LisaK February 10th, 2006 11:43 AM

CruiserKaren - we have done all three in either Jan/Feb - we are New Englanders looking for a warm weather getaway. The only chilly part of was Ft. Lauderdale at night, our first day at sea - a bit breezy but not enough to keep us out of the pool, Nassau was on the cool side, but not cold enough to stop us from going to the beach.
So much depends upon what you want to do and see.
If you want breathakingly beautiful beaches with great snorkeling, and good island shopping then choose and Eastern route that hits St.Thomas-St. Maarten.
If you are looking for something a bit more adventuresome with things like swimming with the Sting Rays(awesome), climbing the falls(amazing), river rafting/tubing, Mayan Ruins, really nice beaches, and some awesome snorkeling then pick the Western route - Grand Caymen, Jamaica, Cozumel.
If you are looking for a port-intensive cruise that is very diverse that will give you a little bit of everything Caribbean then pick the Southern route.- Aruba, Curacaco.

CruiserKaren February 11th, 2006 05:44 PM

Thanks for all of the input. It was very helpful. We've decided on the Western, Carnival Valor 1/21. Can't wait! :D

Karyn March 4th, 2006 09:17 AM

Hey...we are sailing on Jan 21st...western..Valor...you will be on with us..
We have a group of people who have all met on the boards that are sailing also. Many with kids as well. We are sailing with son (12) .
As stated above..I have been on this cruise before and loved it!
Hope to meet you...
Karyn