Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Passenger

Default st thomas- sceamin' eagle jet boat

ok.. anyone went on this excursion? how was it? 8)
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:59 PM
First Mate

Default Screamin Eagle shore excursion report (St. Thomas)

FIRST WORD WET!
OK, really at the time we booked it, Carnival had removed it from its tour lists, so contacted by email directly. Great bunch of guys running the tour. Very personal.
We checked in at office (it is right in the strip of shopping at pier called Havensight mall) -we then went out to a small covered eating area and waited for shuttle to swing around to pick us up. To our surprise their was only one other set of two ladies and us 3.
Arriving at the dock you can leave any possessions with the other tour guide at dock, he assured 100% watching of our stuff.

It is a long speed boat with about 10 rows with seat belts. We sat in the second to last row. When they say you will get wet, they mean it. Also if you at all value your sunglasses (or glasses) a tight leash is a must. My husband did not believe this as "I wear them on roller coasters and don't lose them"- his fortunately cheap sunglasses are now in the Caribbean water
The tour starts at a slow speed cruising past the ship, then to open water. Then driver demos a slow speed turn, ok mild water spray. Then demo's a tail whip, and how boat can practically stop on a dime. OK.
Then he cranked it up, we were doing weaves, 180 spins etc. Every one of these formed a heavy spray of water that would soak us from one side to the next (nowhere to hide).
Honestly --pool goggles would have been the best! I mean it, I could have seen better then, if you go bring them (just my opinion) as there is no where to wipe eyes of salt water, I wore a swim suit with a t-shirt over it. First 10-15 min were fun, especially when he hit 80 knots. Then I started getting cold from being wet, the only time I would get warm was when another wave of water hit (this was July by the way) At one point the driver cut across a another boats wake and I think dipped our boat front into wave, woosh a massive wall of water over us. All in all, about a 40 min tour. Fun yes--next time, I'd bring a waterproof bag and throw a few washclothes in to wipe eyes, and towel back at pier waiting for me. If you like excitement and boat power this tour is for you.
The bonus: our driver resembled Brad Pitt. Nice of them to do the tour with just 5 people. I'd say if full the tour would likely hold 30 or so. I'd also not recommend if any back or neck troubles.
Again great tour operators, communicated fast via email.

If you like, have a couple photos I can email if you post or PM me with an email address.
Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!