Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:10 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX
Default Cave tubing with Yhony

Cave tubing with Yhony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just returned from the Feb 4th saling of the Grand.So,I was a little apprehensive on doing the cave tubing after going thru this ordeal.

I booked my cave tubing thru Yhony after reading so many favorable reviews.I was a little worried that I should have booked thru the ship.I mean that should be the safest excursion..Once our ports were changed and we had more time,I started feeling a little bit better about going with a private excursion.

Well,to begin with,I had emailed Yhony a few times and expressed certain concerns,and he already had high marks with me for his quick replys.

Upon arriving,we expressed to him some of our concerns since we had been thru one ordeal,we didnt want to go thru another.It was raining and many were concerned about cave flooding.After talking with Yhony,we all "voted" on whether we felt comfortable going ahead with our excursion.We decided that it was a "Go".

Several ppl for whatever reasons,had cancelled or more than likely just didnt show up.Since Yhony doesnt require you to pay upfront (not even a deposit),that escape clause makes it easier to book thru him.

Since we were only a group of 8,we ended up with 6 guides! Pretty good odds for a group that was a little more "fragile" than most .I got very LUCKY,Yhony was MY persona guide Thank you Yhony

We had a very wet hike thru the rain forest.I was a little nervous over this since I had left my "good" shoes (ones with more sole gripping) at home.But no problems here,I just walked in Yhonys foot prints.He made it a point the whole way pointing out the slippery parts,showing us the safer areas to walk.

It was a very pleasant (30-40 minutes,maybe a little longer) walk.We had opted the 2 cave tubing since we had more time.

When we got to the "rope" leading across the river,I started getting a little nervous.Since I have rods in my back from major back surgery,I had wondered if I should have even been doing this in the first place.But,I was eased down into the tube to cross.

It was a little chilly at first.But,not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.Im very cold natured,so I was pleasantly surprised Once on the other side,we hiked a little more.There are a few steps here and there,but also someone there to help you if you need it.

I would recommend taking bug spray.In Feb,there were probably not as many mosquitos as other times,but I did get about 3 or 4 bites in the hair line on the back of my neck.The only place I didnt spray!

The tubing was so much fun! We made 3 sets of "links". I was in the middle of my hubby and Yhony.Yhony did ALL of the arm paddling.We just sat back and enjoyed the ride! We were enjoying using our headlamps to explore the tops of the caves.

As far as creatures go,we did see some bats.ONLY because Yhony asked us if we wanted to see them.He took us into the opening of a care and pointed them out,then we left that cave.At NO time did I ever see any more bats,nor any spiders or SNAKES.Yhony explained to us that snakes dont like rushing water.Not sure thats true,but in our case it was,no snakes anywhere around!

I cant stressed this enough..I WOULD NEVER BOOK THIS EXCURSION THRU THE SHIP! They just do not have enough guides to go around.

While we were enjoying our tubing experience,the ships tubbers were going along the same route.At NO time,did I ever see a guide with the ship excursion.I know they had to have some,but I never saw any.

Yhony would tell us when to lift our butts so that we didnt drag them on the rocks.He knew every point of that river.I was very impressed! I really felt sorry for the cruiseship passengers.If it wasnt for Yhony and his crew,many of them would have sore bottoms from scraping on the rocks.But,he went out of his way to tell them (the ones that were near us) when to left their bottoms.

At one point,he kept telling the ships people that they really needed to be prepared.He got out of his tube each time we got near a part that had a little stronger current,or where it was more shallow with rocks.

This is where my point of not booking thru the ships becomes SO important.There was a lady near us.She was going right for the shallow rock area.Yhony kept yelling to her to lift her bottom.She had NO one near her to help her.At this point,once you get past the shallow rocks,it makes a drop off into a swirling pool of water that is a little deeper.Once the lady entered this area,she had picked up speed,and she fell OUT of her tube! I was very scared for the lady,she didnt appear to be able to swim that well and seemed to be in trouble.Our guides were off their tubes in a flash and to the ladies rescue.I just wonder what would have happened to her if they had not been there.And,I must say,Yhony secured me before he left my side to help the lady.

Once we finished our two caves,we got out and walked the short walk back.If we needed assistance with our tube,the guides were right there to take it from us.

I can not relate how much fun we had! The guys were so much fun.We laughed and joked,had a great time,plus saw some interesting carving into the cave walls..

If you are thinking about cave tubing in Belize,DONT book with anyone else! Go to c a v e- t u b i n g . c o m .

Thank you Yhony! Thank you guys! You were all great! I will be back!

* Yhony did mention that the ratio is usually 5-6 ppl per guide.

Enjoy Belize! Dot
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to jenischmeni
Default Yhony

We are booked w/ Yhony for our 6/11/06 Valor Cruise.

Could you answer a question for me?

I've been emailing back and forth w/ Yhony concerning a special requirement for my husband. Hubby has an above-knee prosthetic leg.

Yhony has assured me that for my husband, they will use a 'banana boat', because he cannot get his leg wet. We are paying extra for this, and that is fine (it's still less money than using Carnival). Also, Carnival wasn't able to provide any answers as to how hubby could take this excursion through them. Only Yhony seemed to have an answer.

Have you, or did you, see any of these types of boats?

Thanks for the great Yhony review, I'm really looking forward to this port!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
First Mate

Default banana boat

Sorry,Im not sure what Yhony is talking about.I thought a banana boat was a long tubular type boat that you rode like a horse.Those are the only ones that Ive seen,and your legs get wet.

Why not email Yhony and ask him if he has any pictures so that your hubby will have an idea of what hes getting into.Im sure that if he doesnt have one already,he could take one for you.He sent me several pictures before my trip with him.

But,I doubt he would say he could do this if he wasnt sure that he could..Dot
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:51 AM
Passenger

I have emailed Yhony and am awaiting pictures of this boat.

From a google search, I learned that there are two variations of this. One is the type that is pulled behind another conveyance. (I think in my region, we actually call this a 'torpedo'.) The other is a hollowed out boat, similarly shaped like a banana and used to haul...you guessed it....bananas!

I'm sure Yhony will email pictures of this soon, I was hoping to find someone who was actually familiar w/ the exact usuage of this!
Old March 24th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Passenger

Received an email from Yhony today with a picture of the banana boat. It is, indeed, the type that is rode on and pulled behind a boat. I don't think this is going to work.
Old March 24th, 2006, 08:18 PM
First Mate

Default banana boat

It doesnt sound like it would work unless he has some type of water proof wrapping that could go over the leg. Im sure they make something.Maybe one of your doctors might know..possibly from a medical supply? You have a little type to figure out something.I wonder if Yhony has access to one of those inflatable boats.I would think that would work,although it might be a pain to carry.But,I cant believe it would be that much more difficult than carrying a couple of inner tubes.I know those boats arent that expensive,and maybe he has one or knows someone that does.But,the only time that might be a problem would be when the water gets shallow and I dont know how those would work dragging over the rocks.

I hope he cant figure out something for you,as its a lot of fun.

Make sure he understands that the leg CANNOT get wet. Dot
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Passenger

Thanks Dot for the encouragement. I'm trying not to get disappointed. It's really something we want to do. I'm not giving up yet. We do have some very heavy plastic, and of course the ever-ready DUCT TAPE!!!!!

I'm wondering about paying someone to carry the leg to where we get out of the river?! But, I seriously doubt that hubby would consent to that. There have been a number of cases where thefts of artificial limbs have occured - probably as a teen prank. Unfortunately, the teens don't realize that these limbs cost 20K and are very specifically fitted to an individual. At the price, not to mention the inconvenience, DH probably wouldn't let it out of his sight!

I had posted on another site about using an inflatable boat. I thought if we bought one here before we left, and kept it in it's original packaging, it wouldn't take up much room. We could just leave it there when we're done. I've not emailed a picture to Yhony yet, want to fully discuss it w/ DH first. I read about the 'butts up' thing. Couldn't hubby just shift himself up on the boat to create less drag in the water?

I'll let you know after I've emailed back and forth w/ Yhony. Thank you very much for your insight and help!
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:21 PM
First Mate

Im not sure if hes in an inflatible boat that he would be able to "butts up" to keep the drag off the rocks.I mean,he would have to put his arms down somewhere to be able to lift himself up,and then that would cause the boat to go down at those points.

Ya know,Im having brain freeze as to how far away the entry/exit point is.But,if I remember correctly,its not that far.I dont know how your husband would feel about it,but Im sure Yhony could find someone that he could trust to bring it down,possibly the bus driver (if he doesnt go along with you).If not,could you lock it up on his bus and then go back for it yourself? You might inquire about this if your husband would consider it. I felt the bus was very safe to leave our things on since it was locked.Of course,I wasnt leaving 20ks behind

And dont you just love that duct tape Dot
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Passenger

Hey Dot? How 'bout this? Does this sound do-able?

We bought a heavy-duty nylon bag designed to cover golf club bags. (So it's big enough to hold the leg). We bought water-proofing spray.

Hubby will hike up, using his leg. We'll get to where we do the cave tubing part. Hubby will take off his leg, wrap in plastic (with the YES, love that duct tape!). We'll put the plastic wrapped leg into the waterproofed bag. We'll put this bag into a little inflatable boat. (The kind cheaply made for one person to play around a pool in.) We'll just kind of tow this along with us?

I've emailed pictures of hubby's leg (so he can better understand what it is and why it cannot get wet), the bag, and the boat.

But, you have seem to have a better idea of what we're talking about than I think he does, so I trust your opinion.

The only thing I don't really know is, how are we going to cross the river? Could this be done by pulling hubby across it in this boat?

Whaddaya think, Dot?

(This way, we wouldn't have to worry about the 'butts up'. The leg in the boat won't have any drag. (too light)

P.S. Hubby flat-out refuses to allow someone to carry this leg back down. He's just sure that someone will try to steal it. In his defense, his livelihood is contingent on this prosthetic. No leg, no mobility.
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:06 PM
First Mate

jenischmeni,I think something along those lines would work.Im just not sure about putting it in the boat.It might work,but do you have any way to secure it,if the boat turned over? When we were searching the boards for cavetubing,I ran across a thread about a man that was taking a childs swim ring...its more than the blow up kind.Have you seen ones that have a white ring(,kinda like the rings they throw out to save ppl),but they have a place for the child to sit,and just their legs stick out.Anyway,this man was describing how he took one of those along with him to put things in..a camera in water proof housing,drinks,etc.Something like that...Im sure you could get the boat to work,but you just need to make sure that the leg would be securely attached to it incase it bounced or turned over.There is really only one or two places that you would have to worry with this happening,and Yhony tells you way in advance to "butts up".Im sure that between now and time to go,you can find some type of water proof housing for that leg! And,as long as you can fasten that to the tube,you will be ok.

I do think its very doable.I do recall one area that after you butts up,it has a drop off,(goes from shallow to deeper,mini rapids type area).This is the spot that the lady from the ship did a tumble off her tube and Yhony and his guys had to rescue her.Its just a quickie type rapid,but enough so that you might have to dive down under the water if the leg fell out,unless it would float! I dont think any area is really that deep,but at this particular point,Im not sure if you could touch bottom.

Im sure he could attact it some how and not lose it.What you came up with does sound like it woud work for sure. Go for it! Dot
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Passenger

Oh, Dot, thank you SO much. I've tried posting this out two different sites and you're the only one who has actually got it! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I think if the boat would capsize, the leg will float. But, yes, we could attach it to the boat. We have a nylon case that we're waterproofing, and we're placing the plastic wrapped leg inside this bag. The bag is designed to be used to carry a golf bag in. This bag has a handle, we could tie it to the boat.

This is going to be SO fun. I'm really excited about the excursion. Too often, we have to skip this kind of stuff, because it's just not feasible to try and work out the minute details. This was one time I was just determined not to back down. (Besides, I don't know if or when we'd ever make it back there.)

Again, thanks from the bottom of my heart for working out these details for me. *sniffle sniffle* - wiping a tear from eye![/img]
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:54 PM
First Mate

...I just hope you have as much fun as we did.Yhony and crew were great with us.From the bus ride to the river, the walk thru the jungle,and then the tubing thru the caves,it was all great.Please post when you get back,Id love to hear! Dot
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Passenger

You got it, when we get back I will post EVERYWHERE!

I'm glad to hear your objective opinion. I had worried a bit, because I've noticed that many of the posts that give reviews on Yhony's tours are posted by one-time posters who joined the same day that they post. (Kind of odd, they'd only join to post a review about an excursion?!)

But, I have found enough from people that have actually done it (and not first-time posters) and of course, YOU, to give me a little security that this guy does know what he's doing.

I'll let 'ya know how it went.
Old March 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Passenger

Dot , My wife and I are going to Belize next week on Carnival valor and it will be our first cruise so I'm a little nervuos about booking excursions outside of Carnival. It sounds like you had a great experience with Yhony. I would much rather be with a smaller group of people. However with just the 2 of us going I'm apprehensive about going off in a strange country with people we don't know. We haven't traveled outside of the US very often. I take it that you felt very safe with this company. Were you back in plenty of time before the ship sailed? As you can tell I'm trying to get up the guts to book our excursions with the private vendors and I'm just looking for reassurances from past criusers that have had good experiences.
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Passenger

Yay...tmb is going to end up going with Yhony! I can tell!

Oh, please post when you get back....please! And while you're there evaluate it for my needs?!

P.S. I've read A LOT about this excursion, if you want to know more about it, or where I found out a lot, you can email me. email is same as user name here @gmail.com.

But, listen to what Dot says, she knows this stuff!! (She is the expert!)
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
First Mate

Default oh no! no expert here!

I researched before I went,and then I emailed two and Yhony was the one that replied to my questions.But,there were 6 of us and I feel that I can say,we all had a great time and felt very safe with Yhony.

Hes a wonderful guy that loves his country and is willing to share his knowledge.And most of all..he knows every little crook in those caves.

I was so very afraid for those that took the cave tubing from the ship.I myself would NEVER take the ship excursion for this.I NEVER saw any guides and if it had not been for Yhony,telling them when to lift up,or telling them what was coming up next to be aware of,I think a few would have been in some serious trouble.I saw many that were up against the cave wall .And,the poor lady that totally fell off her tube owes a big thank you to Yhony and his crew.I never saw anyone from the ship to help this lady.And,Im not sure if the private passengers would have stopped and helped her,risking their own lives,if our tour had not been going by at the same time.Yhony secured me,(he was my personal guide) and then went to help her.His guys helped other ppl along the way too...

When I booked,it was just me and my hubby.Yhony said to try and find someone from my ship that was going,so that we could get the discounted price.And,it was no problem for us to find others from our ship going.Have you joined a meet and greet tmbdad? If not,check out the roll call for your ship and see if anyone else is going with him.

I can understand your apprehension,I would have felt the same way,Im sure.If I went again,I would feel comfortable going without my hubby.Im sure he has other ppl going that you two will be added to,right? If you cant find others,I would go a little early to your meeting point,and see who else is there.Chances are it will be others that you will feel more comfortable with.

We were all still a little shaken by our Feb 4th experience,and then we had heard there had been cancellations for cave tubing.So,I wasnt even sure I wanted to go because of the high water.But,Yhony made us all feel very comfortable and WE all decided to go forward with the excursion.It turned out that the cave that had been closed was NOT the one we were going thru.

Since we go there earlier than our ship had planned since they cancelled Grand Cayman,we got to take a vote on whether we wanted to do 2 caves or just one.We voted to do the 2,for next extra charge! We also voted to do the meal afterwards,which I highly recommend!

We got there early,waited around for about 20-30 mins for a couple..we took a tour of the city,and then swung back by our meet place,and they never showed up,so we left.We did the 2 caves and had a meal,and got back with a good 1 1/2 hours left to shop and then back to the ship.

tmbdad,if you havent,I would email Yhony and tell him your concerns.See what he says.He wants everyone to feel comfortable. and have a good time.Hes trying to build his business.Most of the other cave tubings companies have been around awhile.But,as you might have read,there is one out there that has a few problems...I know if I had an elderly person or a small child,I would go with him! Dot
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Passenger

Well I did it. I sent Yhony an email yesterday asking for a reservation for my wife and I. After reading your review I also found another very positive review saying the same wonderful things that you did about your experience. Just out of curiosity I read where you mentioned a bad experience you had on Feb. 4th but I didn't see where you described what happened. May I ask what happened and is there something else I need to be aware of. I would appreciate any advice on things that I need to watch out for. While I'm excited about our trip I'm also somewhat nervous. Seems like I always get a little anxious the last couple of days leading up to our vacations. There's always just alot of loose ends to get tied up before leaving town. Confirming reservation,finding someone to watch the dog, paying bills ahead, packing,etc. you all know the routine. I'll be glad when friday gets here and I'm on the plane headed for Miami then I'll be able to relax. Thanks for your help.
Old March 29th, 2006, 12:14 AM
First Mate

Default Feb 4th experience

tmbdad..first of all,I hope you enjoy Yhony as much as we did!

I was on the Princess Grand on Feb 4th out of Galveston.We were 2 hours out and one of the passengers had a heart attack and the ship had to turn around and head back to port.That would have been fine with us,but this is what happened...The Captain was just sitting down to dinner..We are not sure who did what..but...the decision was made to turn the ship around,but evidentlly,someone forgot to slow the ship down before making the turn.And, no one told us what they were doing.In my case...Im walking down the hall toward my cabin and the ship starts listing.Then,it got worse,and we all thought the ship was turning over! It was so very frightening! Everything started falling and breaking.People were screaming and crying! Then after a few mins,the ship started righting its self again and then an out of breath captain comes on saying,sorry,we have to turn around and go back to Galveston for an ill passenger.Our main complaint was that NO ONE said anything to us and we had NO idea of what was happening with the ship.None of the crew members knew what was going on.They were as frightened as we were,some more so..anyway..broken bones,buises,cuts etc happened.Lots of damage..so,when we heard that some of the caves were flooding and some trips were cancelled,our frayed nerves got a little more stressed! But Yhony told us it was different caves,and that all caves were monitored and they would close them it the water got too high.He really put our fears to rest and we went on and had a wonderful time.

But,Nothing for you to worry about! I know what happened on the Princess Star (the fire) this week was much worse,but we truly thought we were going over..but I think this made Princess realize they had to communicate more with their passengers.I hear they were great and told their passengers constantly what was going on.

I love cruising! It was scary,but you cant let things like that keep you from doing something you love.You just hope that all safety precautions are taken.Its kinda like flying.I get a little nervous when Im putting on my seat belt,but Id rather fly that drive.

You will probably be hooked after your cruise! Ive never been on the Valor,but have sailed with Carnival.You will find things you like and some things you dont like,but hopefully,you will find that you love cruising.Some say a bad of cruising is better than the best day at work! ..and that is so true.

It is so peaceful at sea.And,the water in the Carribean is so beautiful.Enjoy it!

If you have any questions or concerns about anything else,you can email me at daltx50@hotmail.com

Dot
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Passenger

Wow...you were on "THE TURN"? There are photos of the damage from that. That had to be very frightening. I can certainly understand how you'd be very cautious the rest of the trip.

If you happen to frequent another board, such as me, you can search that and find out even more! (cruisecritic)

I'm glad that you were safe and sound!
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:14 AM
First Mate

Yes,that turn. To me,the pictures dont look that bad..but I can tell you,we truly felt like we were going over.But,we made it and now we have to board her again and sail away Cant let that stop us.

Thank you for your well wishes! Dot
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Passenger

Thanks Dot for the explaination. I read about the TURN on line and it did sound very scary. I'm glad you and your family were all okay.
About the cruise I'm sure you are right that there are going to be goods and bads. I would consider my wife and I both pretty laid back and easy to please so I'm sure we will have a good time. I spent over 20 years working as a waiter so I feel for those who have to work in the service industry. We just enjoy spending time together regardless of what activity we are doing. This will only be the second time that we have been away with out our girls. The oldest 2 are in college and our youngest, in high school is going to FLA with a good friend. We went to Cancun about 5 years ago for 4 days and that was the only time we have been away without them. The wife was fine but after 2 days I started missing the girls so bad I couldn't wait to get home. Hopefully I'll do better this time around. You are right about not letting your fears stop you from doing things you enjoy. I wish I was a little more adventurous like my wife. I'm not crazy about the unknown and my wife enjoys just winging it and seeing what happens. I think that's why I'm a little nervous about this trip. We are doing alot of firsts (ie., never been to Miami, 1st cruise, strange countries, excursions). As you can tell I just need to relax!!!
I'm sure I'll be fine, just a few pretrip jitters trying to get everything organized to get out of town. Once we get on the plane friday I'll be okay. Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know how things go.
Old March 29th, 2006, 12:33 PM
First Mate

tmbdad,Have a wonderful cruise and do post when you get back.Once you get onboard,there are so many things to do or,you can do nothing at all..You can go outside and look out to sea,and it becomes tranquil,or if you need to forget your at sea,you can go inside and never know water is around you! If you like to read,now is a good time to choose a good book and just relax reading.

And,I can say,the best dining room experience Ive ever had was on Carnival.The wait staff was awesome! Make sure you ask them about their life back home..most of them have family and you will be able to understand how they miss them.Most have children they miss which you can relate to!

Its a shame you never got to cruise with your children,they would have loved it! But hey,theres still time.

You never mentioned what other ports you go to,and I havent had time to look it up.Are you going to Key West,Grand Cayman?

Let me know if you think of anything else! Dot
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Passenger

Hey tmbdad...You're off enjoying your cruise. Wish I was there, too! When you get back...PLEASE come post your review of Yhonny!
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Returned from our cruise and just wanted to say that using Yhony and the guys at cavetubing.com was wonderful. Everything I read and heard about them was right on. I woke up early the morning we were to port in Belize because I was a little nervous about hooking up with them for our excursion. Being a first time cruiser and going with just the wife I wanted to make sure nothing went wrong. Not only did nothing go wrong but everything was perfect. We tendered in without any problems and we went to where Yhony said they would meet us with a sign that had cavetubing.com and our names on it. Sure enough there they were waiting on us. The first thing he did was to let us know that they were very aware of the need to get us back in plenty of time and reassured us that he had plan A,B and C in order to make sure that we were back on our ship in plenty of time. We were put on a comfortable small bus with 15 other people who had already arrived and headed for the river. I was glad to find out when talking to the others that they were also on our ship. That relieved alot of the stress right away. We made a quick stop at a local market so a few of our fellow excursioners could grab some cold beers which our guides placed in a cooler that also contained some water for us. Then off we went. Sonny was our driver and Timmy our guide for the day. Timmy was a super nice funny young man who gave us alot of info about Belize on our ride to the river. It is a fairly long ride and a pretty good walk to the river. There were some younger kids on our trip that grew a little impatient but we enjoyed the ride and walk. We got to do 2 caves instead of only 1 that the cruise lines do. Our guides Timmy and Rudy hooked us up in 2 groups, one group of 8 and one group of 9. We formed a chain by locking our feet under the person in front of us and then they led us through the caves. They warned us when to pull our bottoms up so not to hit any rocks and kept us away from banging into any walls. We passed the cruise lines excursion about half way through our trip and it was total chaos. It looked like cattle being herded into the water. They were everywhere. Some were hung up on rocks in the shallow water and others on the sides of the cave walls. Timmy and Rudy pulled us through the crowds and we went on our merry way. I didn't see anyone with the cruise excursions in any danger of being hurt but it just looked very unorganized. After the trip we changed into dry clothes and headed back. They offered to stop so that we could get a bite to eat but several of the passengers wanted to get back so that they had time to shop. So we passed on the food. When I booked the excursion online there was no deposit required and you pay nothing until the trip was over. They charged $45 a person which I thought was a great deal. Of course they appreciate tips and they deserve every penny they get. I glady paid them $60 a piece instead of the required $45 for my wife and I and we still saved money over booking it through the ship. They worked very hard and went way beyond expectations to make sure that we were safe and well taken care of. I highly recommend them to everyone and would use them again in a second. Thanks to everyone who recommended them to us.
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Im glad everything worked out for you.Yhony and his crew are awesome.Its a shame you didnt get to stop and eat as its a lovely place and the food is great! But,maybe next time! Thanks for the review! Dot
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Passenger

Thanks tmbdad, I REALLY appreciate your review. (Now, I have two opinions!)

I'm glad you had a terrific time!

54 days until I leave!
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:38 AM
Passenger

I'm back!

We had an awesome time on the cruise.

We had a family pow wow the night before cave tubing, we discussed it, voted and decided that hubby should not do this excursion. He went on a Carnival fishing trip and had a good time. (Despite the fact that we'd taken all the necessary equipment for him to do the cave tubing.)

When we started out on the hike, I quickly realized that it was a very wise decision to have him do something else. Even with all the preparations, he would not have been able to make that hike. It was a very brisk hike and slippery conditions. The path had portions that he just would have had too much trouble navigating. The hike was almost a trot! He wouldn't have been able to keep up with the group.

The Carnival tour did seem to stroll along much more slowly, but they had hundreds in their groupings. I think Yhony (and/or his guides) is trying to get his groups past the ship's tours. Since hubby wasn't with us, this was fine and we were able to keep up. This got us back to Belize City with time to shop and have lunch.

(Sidebar note: Since we were able to squeeze off the ship on a very early tender, we ended up doing this tour with all Miracle passengers. The Miracle arrived earlier and left earlier than The Valor. I think that our guides were rushing us to make sure that the Miracle people made it back with time to spare. Fine with me. If they made it back in time, then I would have PLENTY of time!)

I had a great time, am glad I did it, but would strongly discourage anyone with mobility issues from attempting it.
Old November 25th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Default Cave Tubing - Handicapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenischmeni
I'm back!

We had an awesome time on the cruise.

We had a family pow wow the night before cave tubing, we discussed it, voted and decided that hubby should not do this excursion. He went on a Carnival fishing trip and had a good time. (Despite the fact that we'd taken all the necessary equipment for him to do the cave tubing.)

When we started out on the hike, I quickly realized that it was a very wise decision to have him do something else. Even with all the preparations, he would not have been able to make that hike. It was a very brisk hike and slippery conditions. The path had portions that he just would have had too much trouble navigating. The hike was almost a trot! He wouldn't have been able to keep up with the group.

The Carnival tour did seem to stroll along much more slowly, but they had hundreds in their groupings. I think Yhony (and/or his guides) is trying to get his groups past the ship's tours. Since hubby wasn't with us, this was fine and we were able to keep up. This got us back to Belize City with time to shop and have lunch.

(Sidebar note: Since we were able to squeeze off the ship on a very early tender, we ended up doing this tour with all Miracle passengers. The Miracle arrived earlier and left earlier than The Valor. I think that our guides were rushing us to make sure that the Miracle people made it back with time to spare. Fine with me. If they made it back in time, then I would have PLENTY of time!)

I had a great time, am glad I did it, but would strongly discourage anyone with mobility issues from attempting it.
Noticed the exchanges and especially the business of a handicapped guest. We did have one on our tour - prosthetic leg (hope that is spelled right). She was 78 years old and had her own guide and a helper - that was nothing short of great care. After reaching the cave site for the float, her leg was carefully wrapped in plastic, waterproofed, and off we went. In fact she was cheered on by a couple hundred guests who had seen her on the trail, and were at the riverside getting ready for the float as well. That made her day, honestly. On the float, she held her own, although assisted by her exclusive guide and helper, and finished well. More cheering at the end, this time by about 300 guests. This was simply a very successful operation and we were not surprized, since the team boss was an ex-army Major and his son, who we gathered have been cave tubing since 1992 - one of the oldest companies carrying out the cave tubing tour in Belize. Glad we found them among the so many good companies on shore. This guy's e-mail is majortombelize@yahoo.com and he has to be one of the best. Thank you, Major Tom and Tom Jr., and the other guys - you're marvelous.